“Jimmy Buffett Knows What He's Doing”

Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was our second stay at Margaritaville and both times we were very pleased with the hotel. From the moment you enter, the floor to ceiling windows in the lobby make it seem like the Gulf is right at your feet. The entire hotel has that same fabulous Florida feel everywhere you look. Oversized Adirondack chairs overlook the beach on the outside patio. The rooms have one curved wall that is covered in a mural print of the Gulf at sunset. A tin bucket greets you in your room with complimentary waters and coupons for free beers. This is Jimmy Buffett's Florida.

I love all the thoughtful details that went into the making of this hotel, from the brightly covered lanyard you receive to keep your room card key handy to the tile floors in the hotel room.

We stayed in a gulf front room and the view of Pensacola's white powdery sand beaches was incredible. The beds are ultra plush with very high quality sheets and several plumpy pillows. The room had a great little balcony to sit out and enjoy the sound of the waves. The bathroom has an extra large, glassed in shower, aqua blue countertops, a cute modern sink and plenty of room for our teenage daughters to all do their hair and makeup at the same time, a very crucial thing in our world.

There was plenty of countertop space all over the room, from the expansive table in the entryway to the big dresser, desk and nightstand tables, another detail I loved about this place.

There were a few downsides to this hotel, but the positives certainly outweigh the very few negatives.

As mentioned before, the lack of a sound barrier between rooms is surprising for such a modern hotel. We were awoken our first morning to the sounds of a young family next door. It sounded like they were in our hotel room. Luckily, they were leaving, so we didn't have a problem after that.

Also the pool is rather small for such a luxury hotel. It's unusual, long and thin, which is not that practical for a large crowd. I was trying to just cool off with a glass of wine in the pool, but I ended up getting soaked by a rowdy group of guests who were trying to outdo each other in cannonballs. It wasn't their fault, it was the layout of the pool.

And the other downside was the staff. The front desk was incredible, but the housekeeping service was rather lackadaisical. Our rooms were adequately cleaned, although there were a few spots in the bathroom that could have been cleaner. I will admit though, that I like a pristine bathroom when it comes to my hotels. Towels and toiletries were sometimes stocked back up, sometimes not. There were a few times we had to request things that weren't restocked, but they were always quick and friendly with our requests.

Also too the valet staff could use some training. When we arrived, they did unpack our car and our bellman escorted us to our room, very helpful and cordial, but after that, we were on our own. Having paid for valet, we expect a certain service. When we would call down for our car, every single time, my husband would have to walk up to the valet stand to get our key, instead of them opening our doors and having our car ready. And it wasn't like they were busy, no one else was around. When we left, the valet staff watched us pack our car as they stood there at their stand without ever offering help. Between tips and paying for daily valet service, I expected much more out of the staff.

But even with those few downsides, we will come back to Margaritaville. We have family in the area, so we visit a few times a year. There are only a few luxury hotels in Pensacola and Margaritaville is one of the best.

1  Thank floridajo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed July 30, 2011

stole our wedding rings from the room. Staff knows nothing about whats going on. Will never go back and I will tell everyone NOT to go there

11  Thank jerihub2
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We spent several blissful days at Margaritaville Beach Hotel in July 2011 and did not experience any real problems. We had a bay view room, which was beautifully decorated, as was the rest of the hotel. We enjoyed the easy access to the beach, the gorgeous pool, and the overall atmosphere was just perfect.

The only slightly negative thing I can say is that with the A/C vent located so close to the desk in the room, I found that whenever I had to work (am taking online classes), I would often get very cold and have to bundle up, but really, not a big deal.

We loved it, my son cried when it was time to leave and we hope to return to the relaxation that is found at this island of Margaritaville again soon!

1  Thank jlmk_9
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a corner gulf-front room and stayed six nights. The view was beautiful. The staff was always friendly, helpful and accomodating. The room was large and very nice. I only have a couple of negatives to mention, both pretty minor. Our room was gulf-front as I mentioned and overlooked the pool on the other side. At times the music from the pool area was too loud even though we were on the sixth floor and it seemed like it played non-stop, even one day that was stormy and no one was out there and the tiki bar was closed. I guess it never bothered me enough to complain about it though. The other was the mattress in the room, it was seriously the worst mattress I have ever slept on - both of us woke up with backaches every day, but that is something that is different for everyone.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to book, we got a better room and rate than were available online.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel had only been opened for a few months when I stayed here for a few nights with a friend. The rooms are so nice, with tile floors...who wants carpet as that gets pretty nasty over time. They are decorated in the island style of Tahiti...not tacky Florida Flamingos, but nice lush colors and artwork. Details details, all of them carried out to the max.

The lobby is the happening place, with a bar centralized and also a nice restaraunt. There is an outside pool/tiki bar that is so relaxing. We had the cutest, albeit dizzi waitress waiting on us out there. She was so sweet and I hate to say anything bad, but she did take forever to refill our cute umbrella drinks.

The beach is accessible with a long scenic boardwalk. There is NO SMOKING anywhere near the hotel. Their policy is that your toes need to be in the sand if you want a ciggie. That's good for non-smokers, bad for smokers. So that's a wash.

My ONLY complaint is that there is NO noise protection. I'm not sure how they built the hotel, but you can hear a pin drop 3 doors down. We were surrounded by kids, adults doing certain adult things, and just hallway noise. I had to definitely wear my earplugs. I wish I had 2 sets I could squish in my ears. That was an on-going problem and lasted alllllll night long, then the kids wake up at 6am and do gymnastics or something...so it sounded.

I'd go back, but bring some noise cancelling ear phones or something.

Oh, STAFF was absolutely out of this world. There was nothing I couldn't have. I called down for a wine key to open our bottle of wine. They brought it up immediately (but u gotta open it and give it back to the bellhop right there because the bartender gets a little cranky if their wine key goes missing :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was our 3rd trip to Margaritaville this year....we love it that much! Just a couple complaints: the Tiki Bar at the pool is poorly staffed, understaffed and margarita mix is too sour. My advice is if you want anything to drink or eat, go inside to Frank & Lola's Bar...it will be much quicker and you won't get your hopes up high waiting for the waiter at the pool....that's because he (Kenneth) will never come to take your order. The Tiki Bar only had 1 bartender and 10 people in line. Don't have a margarita from any of the bars, seems their mix is too sour, have a canned beer instead. Breakfast each morning was freshly prepared, but don't order coffee unless you plan on drinking a full pot...they charge $4.00 per person whether you drink 1 cup or 10 cups. I don't have an issue paying $4.00 for a Starbuck's specialty coffee, but $4.00 for a plain cup of coffee is rediculous...especially since there is a free coffee station just 20 ft away in the same restaurant! Other than that, our room was awesome, a very nice king room with a perfect view. I love this hotel because it is brand new, sits directly on the Gulf of Mexico, is very clean & has a relaxing upscale beach decor. if they're not booked when you get there, they will let you check in early with no additional charges. The Lava Lava Shrimp at Frank & Lola's is delish!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Georgeous lobby and room. Fabulous, comfortable king size bed. Great view from balcony. Liked the bathroom - huge, open, glassed shower with no tub - very modern. Wouldn't rent the chairs/umbrella on beach. He closed early/opened late several days. Pool was fun and pretty. Guy playing guitar there every day. We loved this hotel. Walk next door to Landshark Landing - great hammocks, sprayers, good fish sandwich.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple