“Beautiful new hotel”

Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Georgeous lobby and room. Fabulous, comfortable king size bed. Great view from balcony. Liked the bathroom - huge, open, glassed shower with no tub - very modern. Wouldn't rent the chairs/umbrella on beach. He closed early/opened late several days. Pool was fun and pretty. Guy playing guitar there every day. We loved this hotel. Walk next door to Landshark Landing - great hammocks, sprayers, good fish sandwich.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reneea
There are newer reviews for Margaritaville Beach Hotel

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I traveled here with five forty-something girlfriends for a 4 day trip in May the weekend before Memorial Day. That time is still considered off-peak, so it was not a very busy time for the property or beach and the weather was just perfect. We always self parked since there were plenty of close spots available, both uncovered or covered, but valet is available for a higher price. Upon check in you are given a Margaritaville lanyard to keep your room card in which was a nice touch.

The property is beautiful in a Pottery Barn sort of way. Lobby and rooms are clean, modern, and elegant. Rooms are huge, beds super comfy, the bathrooms and shower amazing. There is a Keurig coffee/tea maker in room, a Landshark bucket with 2 free draft beer coupons and 2 bottles of water, a small refrigerator, a safe, and really nice toiletries. We had a gulf view room with a balcony and it was just beautiful.

Housekeeping was adequate but inconsistent. While our 3 rooms were kept very clean, they often forgot to restock one thing or another. A phone call brought them running with whatever you needed however.

The chief complaint from my group about the rooms was the complete lack of soundproofing. I have poor hearing so I had no trouble sleeping but some of my friends said they could hear people in the adjoining rooms snoring or speaking at normal conversational levels. I think the tiled floors and thin walls make this worse. We attempted to gather as a group in our room at 10:00 pm on a Fri night and security was sent to our room in under 10 minutes to ask us to keep it down. Really? Aren't we at Margaritaville? The way this was handled really offended and disappointed my fellow travelers.

Our servers were mostly great. The food at Frank and Lola's, Landshark Landing, poolside was all very good, large portions, and reasonably priced….Except for the coffee at F&L's which is $3.95 from your server, or free if you go get your own cup o' Joe from the decanter on the bar (?). Cocktails especially were very reasonable compared to other resorts, cruises, etc.

The pool is great, and towels are provided, but wish they had better poolside service. Not enough wait staff, and they didn't start serving until late. Would be nice if they policed the empty chairs a little better to clear dirty towels and let the next guests enjoy a chair. The towel guy was a little stingy with towels, telling some of us 1 per guest, but letting others take the 2 we needed to cover the large loungers. One day we were asked to vacate the chairs we were sunning in because they were setting up for a wedding later that night on the bar end of the pool - this was at noon on a Saturday and the event did not happen until 7pm. Understand that at this point we were a little annoyed because of the security issue and the towel guy. Had they perhaps offered us a free cocktail or something for inconveniencing us, all would have been forgiven. Sometimes it’s all about the little things!

We walked the beach but did not spend our time sunning there, however it is super easy access, with foot rinse stations nearby, and they offer chair/umbrella service for a fee, or you can bring or buy your own. Several beach gear shops are a short walk away from the hotel, or take the free Pensacola beach trolley to shops and restaurants nearby. Pensacola Beach has some of the prettiest, cleanest water and sand in Florida, so if a beach is your thing, you will love it here. If you are in town during the week, the Blue Angels practice and you’ll have a perfect view gulfside.

Landshark Landing was fun at night when there was a band. They had a huge fin-shaped firepit going when we were there too. It's a really short walk next to the hotel, but one of the valet's took us over in the Landshark golf cart one day which was fun too.

As resorts go, the $230/night we paid was a reasonable value. I would not pay $300-400/night as some people have said they paid because this is simply not that kind of resort. Management needs to work on the level and quality of service and amenities before it can command that kind of price. Also for families, note this is not an activity based resort. They primarily offer the beach and the pool by day, and live music by night, and keep the lack of room soundproofing in mind. Do not go expecting a Margaritaville, party atmosphere. It is not that kind of place.

We ventured off property to dine at the Blue Marlin which was just EXCELLENT and had live music on Friday evening. Everyone at the hotel seemed to push Peg Leg Pete's which had a really long wait, and ended up being OK but nothing fabulous. We also drove over to Lulu's one afternoon and enjoyed the ride back along the coast, stopping at FloraBama along the way.

All in all, I loved the relaxed but modern elegance of the property and I would return with my spouse, but not my kids until they get older. I don't think it would be terribly ideal for young children, though Landshark Landing has some kid friendly areas by day.

At the end of your stay the property requests your feedback on your stay online. I provided our group's comments and was pleased that the managers called and emailed me back to discuss them.

Room Tip: Go for the gulf view
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Villette N
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My family and I stayed on floor 4 and stayed in a room facing the bay. It was a cheaper room at only $209 a night, but the room was still very impressive and comfortable! The beds sleep like a dream! We wouldn't have missed the ocean view to say the least. The staff is very friendly and professional. However, The housekeepers were not very detail oriented (as another reviewer had stated). I'm also doubting the sheets are changed between guests. After sleeping in our bed all night...we woke up to find another person's dirty underwear was shoved up at the head of the bed!!! They were the same color as the sheets and I guess we were so tired from our first day on the beach we hadn't even noticed them there til the morning! You think had they changed the sheets they would have caught this. I called the front desk and was told it would be a few hours before housekeeping could get to me. I drove all the way from Dallas Texas and was not about to let a pair of dirty underwear ruin my vacation. Housekeeping took care of the bed (2 hours after my call...Sigh). We stayed 3 nights and our room was never cleaned very well...Always sand left in the showers or the bed looked like it was made up in a hurry. In any event, We never stayed in our room long enough to care I guess. I highly recommend the Frank and Lola Cafe downstairs. EXCELLENT steak sandwich and smoked fish dip. Do yourself a favor skip the Land Shark Landing, the very few things they do have on their menu are terrible and overpriced. $10 for a plate of nachos that will remind you of a high school football concession stand. and the service was awful too. Overall it was a good 3 nights here, but I think management needs to keep a closer eye on their housekeepers!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nethridge
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed for only one night following business meeting and dinner at the hotel. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are wonderful, the bed is extremely comfortable and the staff is professional, polite and responsive.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jhassinger
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here for the first time and was very happily surprised at how beautiful this place is. We stayed in 701 which is a Bay/Gulf Executive room. Thought the price was high when we booked but didnt think so after our stay. Possibly the largest and most luxurious bathroom on the Gulf Coast. Views of the Bay and Gulf were spectacular.
Walking to the Land Shark adjacent to the hotel to listen to a 70;s rock cover band was fun. Breakfast was large and proced well but dont buy coffe at $3.95 per cup. You can get it for free in the lobby! Room was $319 pkus, plus per night. Worth it!

Room Tip: go for the Bay view Executive
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LAHarleyGal
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We had an amazing stay over July 4th weekend. The hotel staff were very friendly. The room was a Gulf view with a Balcony and it was well worth the expense. The room was clean and bed was very comfortable. I loved the bathroom it was large, clean, and had tons of hooks to put towels, etc on. I will definitely be going back! The pool area was small, but very nicely done and the wait staff at the Tiki Bar were very friendly and helpful. Access to the beach was perfect and they already had chairs and umbrellas set up for rental. Landshark Landing was fun. During the day I would consider it kid friendly, but at night more adult friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TexasTravelGirl36
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We got into bed the first night to find both beds full of someone else's sand and what looked like chicken wing sauce on the sheets!!! Gross. Housekeeping had to come and make the beds at 10:30 pm while we all stood there in our pajamas. The woman on the evening housekeeping shift was even grossed out. We have never experienced a hotel that did not change sheets betweeen guests. Clearly, they have housekeeping issues. I promptly checked out the next morning, refusing to stay the duration of the 4 day reservation. I was told the remaining days would be cancelled. They were not. I just received a bill for the remaining days for over $1200.
Not only do they have housekeeping issues, but they also have billing issues. If you stay there, do so at your own risk.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family