“Great night!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Ellesmere B&B and Inns
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Great night!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We'd never been to Ellesmere before, but after that experience we sincerely hope we can find a reason to return quickly! A wonderful welcome from Mike and his staff, even though the Inn was already fairly busy when we checked in about 6pm. The restaurant was fully booked that evening (a Friday), but he still managed to squeeze us in. Food was better than your average pub grub, and the atmosphere was wonderful all evening - the Red Lion appears to be the focal point of the village. Rooms in the courtyard are a little dated, but then again it is 16th Century! More importantly though, rooms are clean and tidy, and at the price we paid, excellent value for money.
Breakfast was excellent too. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion for one night as part of a 4 day mini break, we were greeted by the owner Mike who was very friendly and helpful. Mike showed us to our room (Sad face). It was small, dark and crying out for a total refurb. There was a small sink in the room, but the showers and toilets were along a dark corridor. As we were in the middle of a mini break we decided to grin and bare it. On the plus side both our evening meal and our breakfast was lovely and cooked fresh to order. Meals were good value for money and generous portions.
The Mere was only approx 2-3 mins walk away. I must say the staff were helpful and friendly. This place needs a massive cash investment to bring the accommodation up to scratch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RaeFletcher
Saffron Walden
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Planned to stay for one night but left within the hour. The staff were very welcoming and I was shown to my room. This is were it went wrong. The room smelled terrible, musty and old. The curtain appears to have been a mohair rug in a former life. The bed had a very lumpy mattress. The bathroom was unclean - dust and grim around the toothbrush holder and hairs on the toilet. I know it is an old building, but in my opinion the rooms need a complete overhaul. Maybe time to call in the Hotel Inspector! The manager must have been expecting my departure as when I came down to the bar to say I couldn't stay his first words were 'you're going to say your leaving'. To be fair to him he was most apologetic and understanding. I felt very sorry for him as the place clearly needs an injection of cash to get the rooms up to standard. I have stayed is some fairly substandard places in my time, but this was the first hotel I have ever actually refused to stay in. The Manager recommended the Sun Inn just outside Ellesmere. Luckily they had a room (very clean and tidy) and they were also £5 cheaper! So I bought myself a glass of wine to recover from my brief experience of the Red Lion. My advice please don't stay at this hotel....

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Louise J
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The red lion offers good value for money and good portioned meals. The food is what you would describe as tradition pub foods. The salads are amazing and their sizzlers are great. If you have a good appetite then the mixed grill is huge!! It is always busy and generally need to book or you wont get a table. The staff are very friendly and a great atmosphere. It is walking distance from the Llangollen Canal and just by the Mere if you need to walk off your meal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LouiseBP
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had dinner here for four of us.

There was a holiday parade going on in town so the place was busy.

We didn't have a reservation but the manager/owner gave us a table straight away which was good.

The server must have had a bad day because she never came back after our meals were delivered. One of us had to find the server after we had ordered to make sure the order was correct, the server wasn't friendly but said that she had taken the correct order.

The food was good, had pasta, lamb shank, duck and chicken with prawn (sizzler).

We would probably go back for the food and hope the server was in a better mood.

Room Tip: Only stayed for dinner
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We arrived later into the evening and with a small child, all we wanted was to settle down for the night after food.

We were shown to a room which had hair and fluff and what can only be described as bodily secretions in the bedding. The sheets were stuck together.
We requested a different room and were shown to another, the only other that they had available.

There was no provision for our baby in either room.

The second room was above the kitchen and was saturated by the smell of fat. The staff told us quite clearly that this was the only available room and would have to suffice.
Fortunately, I bought sheets along as I over prepare and think of any eventuality. If I had not, we would have retreated to the car.
Our replacement room had windows overlooking the smoking courtyard, including the bathroom, these were not frosted or patterned and only had nets so the patrons that evening had a wonderful view!
In addition, the clock of the church tower chimes until very late, we know that is not their fault, but not ideal with a little one who isn't used to it.

The breakfast
Urggghhh, lovely bacon and a good selection, they do eggs to order but I would only recommend if you have a strong constitution.

We spoke to another manager the following day, who was lovely, understanding and apologetic. He didn't charge for the night's stay and seemed really genuine.

Speaking to other patrons while we were there, we got the picture that the standards are generally quite low and most commonly used by contractors working locally.

Wouldn't recommend for a family break.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
dagenham, london
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights 23 - 27 Aug. We picked the Red Lion because they are dog friendly and we were travelling with our pup. Mike was so helpful and arranged for us to have breakfast in the pub itself, so we didn't have to leave Ivy locked in the room. We had lunch on one occasion and my husband ordered a double burger and chips. Well, we have never seen anything quite like it! The portions are absolutely enormous and really good value for money. We took my parents (over from South Africa on holiday) here for lunch and they both decided to tackle the mixed grill. It beat them! My husband had the steak sizzler and I had the lamb shank. Really delicious food and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Thanks to Mike and all the staff who made us and our puppy so welcome xx

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellesmere
Travelodge Oswestry
#1 of 1 in Melverley
The Sun Inn
The Sun Inn
#1 of 1 in Welshampton

Been to Red Lion Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!