“warning think again before booking!”

and 1 more site!
Red Lion Coaching Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Ellesmere B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We walked into the pub and spoke to someone behind the bar to let him know that we had a room booked, he sort of acknowledged us before continuing to serve someone else. We then waited another couple of minutes before another member of staff eventually showed us to our 'room'...we hadnt booked an ensuite room so what we ended up with was very very basic, very poor quality bed with outdated brown sheets with pillows that had seen better days, the light was very dim, had to sit on the floor to make a drink as the facilities were on a shelf below the tv!...we switched on the tv and there was only one channel available to watch....We were shown the toilet and bathroom facilities and there was no room in there to swing a cat let alone have a shower! no bath either....My partner and I eventually slept in our clothes as we were very reluctant to have skin contact with the bed covers!....we feel that there needs to be a complete overhaul of the rooms, a jolly good cleaning and fresh bright up to date clean linen on the beds, we were in the area for a wedding and decided to stay over to save travelling a large distance late at night but we were appalled by the accomation, we would not reccommend this to anyone thinking of staying...staff were average but very busy so we didnt have the customer service that we think we should have got, very disappointed!

Room Tip: dont stay here!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel H
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Coaching Inn

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We decided to visit this pub whilst holidaying in Ellesmere as we have read such great reviews.....and we were not disapointed - The food is amazing for a pub and really excelletn offer (not a micromaved meal in sight!) I can certainly reccommend the sizziling steak which was served on a sizzling skillet...sooooo juicy and perfectly cooked. The chips are amazing, I am not sure what they do to them but they arn't just oven chips! The other dishes I reccommend are: the Steak and ale Pie, Piri piri chicken (also served on a sizzling skillet) and their take on a caeser salad which had shropshire blue cheese in it - yum!

If we ever go back to Ellesmere we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeizyQ
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We have just returned from an excellent stay at the Red Lion, from the minute we arrived to checking out the total guest experience was A1, Mike and Carole are wonderful hosts.

We had a fantastic bedroom with the most comfortable electrically adjustable bed that also had a massage facility !!.

The food at both the evening meal and breakfast were superb, the breakfast is the largest I have ever been served and kept us going all day, the menu is excellent with some great specials, and the range of real ales and Wine also helped to make our stay very enjoyable.

We will be back, Thanks

Keith & Wendy

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keith s
Reviewed January 27, 2012

My stay here was totally superb and very functional. From the moment I walked thought the door and was met by Mike, I felt very welcome and at home. I was very promptly shown to my room, which was clean and comfortable. The evening meals were excellent, well cooked/presented with a good variety to choose from and were very reasonably priced. Breakfast was superb, both the continental and cooked versions. The staff are very friendly and by the end of my weeks' stay, I felt like a part of the extended family.

I do feel, and have said to Mike, that every member of staff went out of their way to make my stay comfortable and even surpassed expectations, not to mention bending over backwards to be of assistance.

I was staying here whilst on a training course for work and everybody was pleased to hear of my success on passing. I could not have managed so well but for the great team at the Red Lion I had backing me.

And as for the negative reviews on this hotel, if you want everything pristine (and with no character), check into the Hilton. If you want a functional place with lots of character and warm ambiance, this coaching inn will be just fine.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Stayed for one night in a room for 3. Mike was very welcoming and bought the 3 of us a drink on arrival when he knew it was our daughters birthday-a very nice touch and totally unexpected. The meal was excellent value and very generous portions. The room had ensuite facilities and was very comfortable and extremely quiet, we slept well. We paid £60 for three B&B, very reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Very beautiful and quaint 16th century coaching inn, the atmosphere is exactly what you expect, the welcome was very warm and the patrons were very friendly! I read some of the reviews on trip advisor before i left so i wasn't sure what to expect but i have to say i was pleasantly surprised! This is a lovely clean place to stay, we were in one of the court yard rooms which was spacious, well furnished, clean, well equipped and very comfortable and for only £50 for two including breakfast which was HUGE was a bargain price and if anyone else disagrees who has stayed there they need there eyes testing or to stop being so fussy! I would recommend this place to anyone and would stay there again tomorrow.. lovely, lovely, lovely!
Right on price, right on quality and right for us! Thank you for a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: go for the court yard room.. really quiet!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed two nights in "The Red" in November. The rooms are very comfortable and the breakfasts huge. We did not have any other meals in as we wanted to see what else the town had to offer but the restaurant was always busy with locals - a good sign. There was live entertainment on Saturday night and the beer was top class..... oops that is for the other listing! The location is really handy for walking off the big breakfast along the Mere-side

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellesmere
Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Welshampton
Burlton Inn
Burlton Inn
#1 of 1 in Burlton

Been to Red Lion Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!