“Friday night - Chaos!!!”
Review of Red Lion

Red Lion
Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Ellesmere
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Called in mid-afternoon on Friday to book a table for two that evening. The reservation was for eight o'clock, but we had to wait until 8.45 to be seated. Then for some reason, Mike the manager, who seemed to struggle to maintain control said we couldn't have that table and we would have to wait until another came available. We finally got seated just before 9.00pm.
When the food came it was very good indeed. The famous mixed grill at £9.95 was huge and delicious - not for the feint hearted. My wife said the fish pie was delicious, although she ordered potatoes and got chips.
Overall good value for money, but avoid week-ends if you're on a tight schedule.
If you're a people watcher, keep an eye on the manager - he's a heart attack waiting to happen!!!

2  Thank Bob O

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had heard from a friend, about the Red Lion at Ellesmere, Shropshire and had to try it for ourselves. On arrival we were welcomed, the management and staff were very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was excellent, the food was tasty, good sized meals, reasonably priced. In fact I'd goes as far as to say that I've not had as gooder meal any where else for years. Not only will I be recommending the Red Lion to my friends, but it's No. 1 on my list. I'll be going there again soon.

Alan, Gareth, Eileen & Joy

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We arrived on a Friday evening without a table reservation. The owner made us very welcome and found us a place to sit. Good food and beer... Very home made. Possibly the best steak and ale pie I have ever tasted. Ever....

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Lunch and dinner today on our canal boat holiday. Food awesome and service the same. Just a good bloody pub plain and simple.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Staff were welcoming, drinks were reasonable priced and went down a treat in the hot weather. Large portions were perceived because of large plates, however, all in all a very pleasant experience.