“Good value for money”

Ranked #12 of 21 Restaurants in Ellesmere
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I ate at the Black Lion for the first time today as part of a large family group. The dining room was warm, pleasantly decorated and spacious. The menu is comprehensive, with the usual pub favourites on offer. I particularly liked the option to pay less for a smaller portion of the same food, which meant my children were catered for without feeling downgraded to a children's menu. It was possible to do this for both dessert and main courses with the result that the bill came in very reasonably priced indeed and everyone had eaten according to their appetite. The food is home-cooked and good quality. The service was polite and helpful with waiting time quick given the freshness of what was served. We will be back.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I went for a lunchtime meal yesterday (we go every six or seven weeks as it is usually an excellent experience, well cooked food, brilliant service and good value for money). We wanted to go before brothers Matthew and Isaac left the premises after selling up. It quickly became very evident that Isaac was not in the kitchen, and Matthew was not around to supervise the serving staff.

The salmon was not fresh and had so much hollandaise sauce that my wife had to ask for a plate to rescue the fish and potatoes and scrape off the excess. Instead of being white inside her boiled potatoes were grey, and the one roast potato was so old she could not break into the skin. The carrots were raw, the peas like bullets and we did not attempt the swede. Luckily I had "heated up from frozen" chips with my portion so I had something to eat.

The staff are normally friendly and attentive, but yesterday they just plonked everything down and couldn't care less. We will sorely miss Matthew and Isaac and will not be going to "the Black" until I hear from more than one person that the standard of both food and service has improved towards its previous high levels.

2  Thank Alan R
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been meeting up with friends and relatives at this pub restaurant for Sunday lunch (on average, twice a year) for the last 6 or 7 years; Ellesmere sitting roughly equidistant from where we all live. Every time we go, we comment on the excellent value for money the meal represents. This is good pub food and plenty of it. We cannot imagine anyone still being hungry after having tried their superb steak pie or fail to enjoy the tasty barbecue chicken, and with small portions being available at a reduced cost, nobody will be over-faced. The staff are always friendly and polite and the service has been good on every occasion. This is a location best suited for informal, family 'get-togethers'. It doesn't pretend to be haute cuisine; just good food at a very reasonable price.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I go walking often in and around Ellesmere. We park in the town and always eat in The Black lion on our return. The hotel is a bit old fashioned but none the worse for that! The food is plain but wholesome and just what we need after a long walk. The prices are very reasonable and are good value for money, it is not gourmet eating but good and not pricey.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stopped here for a bite to eat last week while on a canal boat holiday down the Llangollen canal. I ordered a ham, beetroot and tomoato baguette and the other half ordered a jacket potato with chilli. Both where exactly as you would want them and the chap serving us was friendly and polite. T'other also had one of the hand pump ales and said it was really very good.

Overall a lovely lunch