“A quaint oasis among the floating clouds”

and 1 more site!
Alishan Lauya Homestay
“A quaint oasis among the floating clouds”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Taiwan has always been our favourite destination as we always feel very much at home with the many friendly chinese around. The trip to lauya was memorable and heartwarming. The place is quaint and pretty as indeed what you see in the tripadvisor photos are what you get.

My friend and I stayed for 2 nights earlier on in december. The place is beautiful. Miss Yu and her husband Mr Wang are both very soft spoken and caring hosts. Miss Yu shared with us the many places that we can go and the couple was kind to drive us to nearby places to buy things or have meals. They are indeed very IT savvy for Miss Yu could even check the time of the bus that stops outside lauya that will bring us to alishan using her ipad.

I chose lauya because of the tranquility. The beauty of this place is that one tends to fall into very deep sleep because of the quietness of the place and to wake up to the magnificent view of the yun hai (seas of clouds). It gives you an illusion that one must be floating amid it and it never fails to remind me of sunwukong because he floats on a cloud to move around. My friend, however, did not have a good sleep as she was finding the place too cold even though the bed is warmed by a heat pad. As for the toilet, we came with the expectation that is situated in the mountain and we cant expect a 5 star hotel facilities. The only qualm is that the heater takes around 3 minutes to warm up so you have to keep the water running first.

My only complaint is that lauya only serves breakfast. It will be perfect if the garden in front of the minsu can serve hotpot like what it did earlier. Miss Yu explained thst they had to close down tge restaurant as they were short of manpower. It really doesn't feel good when you are up the mountain and it is cold but you can't get things to eat in the minshu.

The surprising thing is that i enjoyed er yan ping bu tai recommended by Miss Yu more than alishan itself. The serenity of the place, the civic consciousness of the taiwanese makes me fall in love with taiwan once again. Alishan to me is too tourist-like and i was very disappointed with the noise and cigarette smoke generated by the tour groups there.

Just heard that yang yang got into an accident. From Singapore, he is in our prayers and we wish him a speedy recovery. And this point, we are feeling sad and worried. Hope all's well for him. Yang yang, jia you!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank phyam

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is by far, our favourite place in our 17 day stay in Taiwan. The minsu was clean and comfortable, decorations were cute and quirky and you could smell lilies once you step in. It was like an oasis after a long ride up the mountain. The owners were really nice as well and went out of their way to make all of us comfortable.

It's really convenient to get there as the buses plying the Chiayi-Alishan route stops right in front of the minsu. So you just have to take a bus to get up to Alishan. However, it you want to see the sunset, sunrise or head anywhere else in the mountains, you'll have to book a pte cab.

My kids loved the pets and had a good time playing with Yang Yang, Xiaohei and Xiaobai. It was really relaxing and the herbal teas they provided were really good and fresh from their garden.

My only regret is that they no longer accept kids and mine were probably the last they'll see as I booked really early so I'll have a long wait before I can stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I reserved a room in Alishan Lauya Guesthouse (ALG) as I was looking for reasonably priced, clean accommodation for 4 persons in a room, and close enough to Alishan. It was fully booked on the weekends, and I managed to change my schedule so I could stay there on a Sunday night.

The owners, Mr Wang and Ms Yu (王老板和余老板) are among the most helpful hosts I have encountered in my experience staying in Minsu (民宿) / Bed & Breakfast (B&B) / Homestay facilities in Taiwan. They are in their 30s or 40s, techno-savvy (uses i-pads), and I believe they genuinely want to help their guests. Mr Wang even personally drove a French guest (who did not have their own transport) at 7.30 pm to a nearby location to get dinner.

When we arrived at 3 pm (yet to have lunch), Mr Wang was apologetic that his lodging’s Chinese name gave us the wrong impression that there is a full-time restaurant on the premise. He took time to patiently explain and recommend the nearby eating places, attractions and scenic spots for sunset views, and provided us with 2 or 3 maps (we had rented our own vehicle). On learning that we visited Hot Spring hotels in the past few days, he recommended us one of the best Hot Spring (with rich minerals) facility near Alishan for our subsequent visit.

When we returned after a satisfying dinner (thanks to Mr Wang’s good recommendation for a restaurant known for good native-style cooking), we met Ms Yue, who was also very helpful. She suggested we could consider visiting Alishan the next morning (about 1 hour drive up the mountain from ALG), which we accepted. She advised us on the travel timings, and also provided us her personal advice on what places (less visited, but significant scenic or historic spots) to visit after we watch the sunrise. She then offered to get the breakfast items (bread and steam buns) ready for us to pack in take-away meal boxes when we leave for Alishan at 3.30 am. She told us to call by 11 am if we cannot return to ALG by 12 am, the checkout time, as they needed to clean the room. She also reminded us the quiet hours, and offered a beautiful and delicious pot of tea for supper.

We stayed at the Standard Quadruple Room above the dining room, which was small, but sufficient for 4 of us. We enjoyed the tatami-style bedding. Clean, cotton face and bath towels were provided for each of us, unlike some Home-stay facility which uses thin, disposable, artificial-fiber towels. We discovered a small German cockroach on the wooden flooring, but it appeared dead. I was not surprised, as this was a relatively rustic location in the mountains, so presence of some insects is not unexpected.

The toilet and shower room is indeed very small, but still usable if you are not “horizontally-challenged”. What can be improved is the shower water tap control, which is integrated with the tap used for the wash basin. We faced difficulty in adjusting the temperature of the water for shower, especially in between soaping. The water was either too hot or too cold. It was also difficult to turn off water to the shower head when you only want to use the wash basin tap. I would recommend Mr Wang and Ms Yu to seriously consider changing the tap system for this room, as it was the most difficult double-use (tap and shower head) system we encountered in Taiwan.

We woke up at 3.15 am and the breakfast items were displayed as promised. There was some special green tea jam provided. We drove about 1 hour to the Alishan park, and were able to catch the early train to Alishan (Monday morning). The scenic locations recommended by Ms Yu were indeed worth visiting, and not so crowded. We called Mr Wang at 11 am to tell him that we could only return after 2 pm. He was reliable, and proactively called back when I could not get through the busy line during the first try.

Other than the tap / shower system issue, I am happy with the facility, especially the personal service and hospitality from our hosts, Mr Wang and Ms Yu. The decor of the garden is especially charming with many personal touches of stone figurines of frogs, cats, hippo, etc. I would not hesitate to stay here again, especially for the price we paid (normal weekday rate). I believe Mr Wang and Ms Yu are genuine hosts who care for their guests, and willing to go the extra mile if they can.

Room Tip: The standard quadruple room is on level 2, which you need to climb a few steps of staircase. The to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The first thing that strikes anyone who arrives at Lauya Guesthouse is how beautiful and well-kept the front garden is. Enter into the building and you'll be distracted by the beautiful knick-knacks that the owner keeps in the place.

We were given room 202 - economy quadruple room. It looks exactly as it does in photos but it does not show the bathroom/toilet, which is extremely tiny. You almost had to sit on the toilet bowl to shower. My partner did not like the bathroom/toilet one bit, but at least the hot water was consistent! The view from the room is magnificent and it is also very clean. There are no beds and guests sleep on futons, which some people find a bit too soft. The pillows aren't very comfy but was ok for just one night. Walls are paper thin and small movements can be heard.

Mr Wang is a very attentive and meticulous host. Because the guesthouse only has a few rooms, he knows what his guests are doing and is aware if they need any help. He explained the directions, train/bus schedules to us patiently while we consulted him on our trip plans. We didn't arrange for any sunrise tours or other tours as we only spent one night there.

Lauya Guesthouse is situated right along the road next to a public bus stop. We realised a lot of guests drove here and getting around the area can be a bit of a pain if you don't drive. The public transport is not frequent and it's best to plan your time carefully as trips around the mountainous regions can take a long time.

Breakfast was simple - really simple. Congee, some preserved veggies, plain buns and toast with jams, along with herbal tea and coffee. Everything is self-service. While waiting for the bus after breakfast, our hostess made us a glass of tomato fruit juice. We thought this was really nice of her and was a simple gesture that made us feel welcomed.

The guesthouse is also an awesome place to view stars at night. Mr Wang saw us trying to capture photos late at night and provided us with a tripod so that we can get the perfect shot. The view in the day is also great, with clouds rolling in at certain times.

Try to arrange for public transportation up there from Chiayi Railway station as the airport transfer which we arranged with the guesthouse cost us 1,500TWD per car. This is pretty steep compared to the other options. Also, our taxi driver was a bit unprofessional and made pit stops, trying to get us to sample tea or to go do some sightseeing elsewhere, something which we did not request for at all.

Room Tip: Get the economy quadruple rooms for a good view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Karrot K
LauyaGuesthouse, 業者 at Alishan Lauya Homestay, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hi

Much appreciation for your coming and give us this review first and sorry for this late reply!
For some reviews we got lately, we already stop selling the economical room 202,102 for the " Walls are paper thin and small movements issue" for over one month. So our customers wont get a room with noisy neighbor in the future and only customers over 5 years old are welcome! But for appointments over month ago, we can only say that we have announcements during checkin :Please keep your voices low between 22:00 to 08:00 for the wood structures are more breathable, so the cabins have limited sound insulation .

About breakfast ! We all are vegetarian. I think we are the few homestays at Alishan Area who can give you hot breakfast in the early morning for sunrise (2:30~4:30am) if you want! That's why breakfast here is self-service.
We are only a home stay with 5 rooms not a hotel with 5 stars though we use the same spring bed,cover,bed sheets,pillows as 5 starts hotel.
Most tourists afraid of the noisy hotel environment at Alishan Forest Park but also want a quiet lodge with good locations.
How come the good location? Stay at Alishan Park ,you have to take "one hour" bus to see the best sunset and sea of cloud of shouthern Taiwan. Spend one hour to see the War Festival of Tsou at DarBon,one hour to see the Tzou Culture Night,one hour to see the famous local food ,old street, firefly in Fenqihu.
Is this a good stay location to start your Alishan experience for one night ?

For those who want double bathroom with big bathroom and cheap rate,good location.
Dont book here before we rebuild our room before May.

Over 70% tourists arrive Lauya by bus for they do homework before arriving Lauya.
The Taxi is not the option of Lauya, we only spent time and money to call and confirm with the drivers and didnt get any benefit from the drivers or customers.
That's why you can also call them directly according the driver information on our website. We offer this kind of service for we dont hope this kind of things happened again: our customers spent NT4000 from Chiayi Railway to Lauya. It's very welcome to share information with us if you can find a better driver can take you to Lauya with better rate.

For most tourists would feel appreciation for some free stay at attractions in the past.
We already ask our cooperative drivers do not do any stop or share anything only if our customers confirmed !

Thanks for your understanding !

Best Regards,

Lauya
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked a 3 nights' stay based on the positive reviews. I was not disappointed...

Once I stepped into Lauya, I was immediately relaxed, it is like a retreat for me, away from the maddening crowd. The garden is amazing, you can see the owner's personal touch...little ornaments dotted the whole place. Light music is played in the day time and in such nice setting, it so soothes the soul.

Ms Yu is very patient, explaining what is available in the vicinity, offering recommendations on places to visit, even paring me up with fellow travellers to share the cost in hiring a driver to bring us to various places of interests.

Alishan Park is about 30 min's drive away. For those who does not drive, you can take a shuttle bus that stops right in front of the guesthouse. A little inconvenient but the stay there more than make up for this little inconvenience.

The guesthouse is very clean and the bed is comfortable. The breakfast is taiwanese' styled porridge with various pickles. It has a platform at the back of the guesthouse and it overlooks some mountain ranges and you can star-gaze there.

This is a gem of a place and in my heart...a paradise. I will surely come back for another stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This guesthouse is very pretty and the owners are very friendly. These might be the only things that we like about this place. The room looks exactly like the picture, however i forgot to check how the toilet looks like and we only noticed that we had to shower while we were sitting on the toilet. Toilet was extremely small!!! I am not sure if i have a different or too high expectation for a toilet or what. But i am really surprised that no previous viewers had mentioned about this in their reviews. I was glad that we only stayed for one night cause i can't stand not showering for two nights. Also we could hear so clearly the noise from the next room. It was almost like we shared one room with this couple as well.
Breakfast was nothing like it showed in the picture, even in the pictures it didnt look too nice. We had only some toast with different kind of jam at the buffet counter. Also we didnt have the nice afternoon tea or herbal tea that the other viewers had. I doubt some of the previous viewers are friends or family members of the owner.....
All in all, i would not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Alittletwist
LauyaGuesthouse, Owner at Alishan Lauya Homestay, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hi

Feel very sorry for your disappointment. Actually we also had a violent disscussion with our staff fellows that day when we saw you all seems have no idea about choosing our breakfast.Thats why I go to ask you that have any problem about our breakfast ?
1.Usually we offer chinese breakfast to our customers and western dish breakfast for fewer lodgers time.It's the only time and will be the last time trying to offer western buffet breakfast for we found that you 4 all don't like our breakfast and tree tomato fruit at all.

2.Sorry for our small toilet in our small home stay though we already asked you if you 4 want to do free upgrade from 101,102 to 103 and 201 super quadruple together. I remember you finally only selected 102 and upgrade to neighbor room 103 together. Most of toilets here besides VIP room are very small for lacking of water resource during winter dry season past years ago.

3.We already removed free afternoon tea service one years ago from our web but we still often offer free afternoon tea when we see our lodgers have time in our garden(most for over 1 night stay ) that's why you could see afternoon tea dressing from some reviews. For you all go to Fenchihu in the afternoon and return late at night,thats why we didn't ask if you want to take our "night tea".

4.We will refund all your payment to Madam for this bad breakfast experience for we can't sleep before replying this review.
Much appreciation for giving us this good opportunity to keep improving and feel really sorry for all.
We will remove free breakfast feature first before we have better idea for breakfast.

Sincerely

Lauya
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Firstly, this nice little guesthouse allows her guests to enjoy impressive scenic views of the mountains on its porch, as well as from the windows of the rooms. The room that we stayed in was also functionally well equipped with a nice and comfortable bed (completed with soft pillows and good quality bedsheets), a television with a wide selection of channels, wi-fi etc. It was cosy and well-maintained. One can easily tell that the owners take a lot of pride in maintaining the cleanliness of the room. There was also nice soothing music being played throughout the building.

The owners of the guesthouse were extremely kind and helpful in terms of helping us to plan our trip. They took care of our needs and were incredibly patient while trying to explain the attractions around the area. Whenever we are going out of the guesthouse, they would rush over to us to ensure that we are well equipped with warm clothing, insect repellent, raincoat or umbrellas. I felt extremely pampered by their thoughtful care.

The owners of the guesthouse definitely took extra miles to ensure that we have an enjoyable trip, and i will highly recommend this homestay for those travelling to Alishan.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple