“Excellent view and environment”

Windsor B&B -Hanguan
Ranked #14 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Xinbei
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent view and environment”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Am very satisfied with the B&B and am glad to have chosen Windsor B&B as my accommodation throughout my 3D2N stay in Jiu Fen.. My testimonial for Windsor can be seen at http://wallace-leong.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-post_18.html

Room Tip: you may opt for 日光涵馆 for the spectacular view!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank WallaceLeong

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The moment I laid my eyes on Windsor B&B's web pages, I was hooked. The views from the room are simply fabulous, great for relaxation after a day's excursion.

日光涵館 is located right at the end of the shopping street, which is perfect since it is close enough to the heart of the activites, and yet a little quieter. The only flaw of its location is the distance from the dining area of the B&B (5-10 min walk), which can be bothersome in the mornings during breakfast time. It drizzles often in Jiufen. With kids in tow, a wet early morning stroll was not ideal, so we skipped breakfast.

The room is a little musky (I wouldn't blame the owners because it drizzled all the time), but clean. Water collects near the heater (portable one on the floor) and we had to use towels to soak it up. Mattress is a wee bit too hard for our liking.

But with a view like this, who cares for such minor issues? I would still recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Taiwan now stands top on my travel destination order. I was actually surfing online for info on relocating to Taiwan before signing in here to write this review. Needless to say, I had a really splendid trip. Windsor B & B on Jiufen was part of the reasons, although i can't draw a line clearly if it was Jiufen itself or Windsor that contributed more to the positive experience.

Jiufen needs no introduction, so my review shall focus on Windsor B & B, which I stayed 2 nights. The establishment had 2 lodges up on Jiufen - 涵館 and 香草庭院, which are on 2 separate ends on the same street. The one my family stayed in is 涵館. The location of this lodge is nearer to the bus drop area where most travellers will alight to visit the 'Old Street', so if you prefer convenience, this lodge may be better.

Windsor B & B is not your usual paid accomodation because there is no staff service available after 5.30pm. You will be given the keys to your room, as well as the main door of the lodge. In other words, no staff stays behind after operation hours, leaving only the guests and a phone number to call if anything untoward should happen. If you find that a concern, I shared the same concern initially, which was validated when there was a power cut in the middle of my shower. Thankfully, the power came back after a few minutes. My advice thus, is to bring a torch if you're planning a stay here because this is after all, not the city.

I'll list the rest of my opinions under 'Pros' and 'Cons' to make it easier for you travel researchers out there.

Pros:
1) Jiufen deserves a night's stay
2) Good living space design - the bigger room has a chalet feel with plenty of conducive space for interaction. The balcony commands a very beautiful view of the sea and mountain
3) A very nice cafe to chill and enjoy the scenery
4) Able to book online with English via email

Cons:
1) Challenging plumbing - water temperature is difficult to control (remember, this is not the city?)
2) Dated furniture
3) Tired service

PS. In the lodge 涵館 I stayed in, one of the larger rooms is housed in a separate section of the lodge, so if you are going as a big group or family and want to be housed in the same section for more convenient communication, please ensure that you inform the management in your email.

All the best for your trip!

Room Tip: 1) Not ideal for elderlies who may not be as amble 2) Bring a torch just in case
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank LFK75
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed in Windsor B&B for 2 nights. 1st night was in Room no. 3 (same location as the receiption), and 2nd night was in Room no. 2.

Both rooms have view of the sea; a little attic which my children called a 'secret room' to share secrets; 2 queen beds; living and dining area (although cooking is not allowed).

The 1st room was a better room. Clean, airy, and it was very spacious, have an indoor toilet with a wooden bathtub.

The 2nd room has a toilet and a bathroom outside of the living area. In winter nights, taking a shower can be chilly. Although the bathroom comes with a wooden tub, the stopper is not available, and there were cobwebs everywhere, so I guess, it's not something that guests use.

As the toilet is outdoor, we have to leave the door to the balcony (toilet and balcony same area) opened at night as my 5yr old daugther normally has to use the toilet middle of the night, and being pretty independant, she'll go on her own without waking us up.

The 2nd room has got a musky smell as well, the ceilings are stained. According to the owner, it has been raining and they were not able to treat the ceiling yet.

As the 2nd room is under the reception/restaurant, in the morning, when it starts getting busy in the restaurant, foot steps can be heard from the room.

Both rooms are pretty near to Jiufen old street, so it's quite convenient to go shopping or for street food. The restaurant street is also nearby.

Breakfast for both days were just cheese and ham sandwich, with a small serving of fruits and a piece of sweet potato. Looking at the reviewer photos on tripadvisor, this seem to be the standard breakfast served.

If you have young kids with you, take care of the stairs to the attic. My 5 year old slipped and fell on our 2nd night from one of them.

Room Tip: chooose room no. 3 from their website (which is next to the receiption/restaurant)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ZarasMama
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is my third night stay in tw. when we reach the mingsu, was around 12pm plus. The counter rep was very friendly and showed us the map around the area. Later on the owner brought us to e room. Was huge and had a attic. Overrall was not too bad, bathroom was rather diff bathing in e wooden tub.. Had bfast next morn at the cafe which was great! I would try another area of e mingsu if I would to come again! :)

• Stayed November 2011
Reviewed September 25, 2011

It was my second trip to Jiu Fen as I missed the opportunity to walk around the Jiu Fen market in March 2010. This B&B was recommended by my local taiwanese friend and was told The Windsor has the best B&B in Jiufen. The b&b is owned by Mr and Mrs Xu. (i call him Xu 'da ge') They are very pleasant people and Mr. Xu also provides day tour around the northern part of Taipei. As my room was booked by my friend, I did not know which room I will be staying. Nevertheless, I was given a surprise and was welcome to a very huge room facing the beautiful scenery of nature. It was actually a 4 person's room with two queen sized bed, a dining table, a LCD TV, nice and clean toilets with hot water, and a patio for you to relax and listen to the wind whispering. The beds are very comfortable and facing the sea,sky, mountain. There were 4 guestrooms in the 2 story house on the hill and it is about 5-10 minutes walk to the street market. Street market in Jiu Fen starts early approx 8am. Breakfast is also provided and deliciously made by Mrs. Xu in their very own cosy coffee house about 500metres away. You'll have to book the rooms very early as they are always busy and full. Website for the B&B -- http://windsor.idv.tw/index.asp

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sundayhui
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife somehow managed to find this place when booking our trip, so I wasn't familiar at all with it other than her saying it was beautiful. Though the house took a bit of finding, once we were there, we were smitten. For the price, (about 10,000 yen, or $130 US or so) this place cannot be beat. One other reviewer remarked that there were strange noises (probably the pipes) and an insecure door. I will admit that the door wasn't terribly strong, but given the small town atmosphere of Jiufen at night, I have absolutely no idea why anyone wouldn't feel safe. Of course, no reason to let your guard down and NOT display valuables openly, but nevertheless.

Anyway, to the room - 2 floors, with a little balcony on the first for morning tea. On the main second floor, you have a gorgeous bed with an expansive picture window view of the water before you. There's a hardwood bath that is incredible comfortable, and the rest of the place is tastefully and playfully (note the frogs) accoutred.

We also found the hosts to be very helpful, again contrary to the other recent reviewer. We came in the afternoon and so had little trouble finding the place, nor a place to eat afterwards. Everything my wife and I saw about this area said things start to shut down around 7, so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that it might be hard to find things to eat after 9, though I recall a few restaurants still bustling around then. Morning breakfast was reasonably amble and quite tasty. And, when we needed to use the phone due to an emergency back home, the hosts were quite kind and let us use theirs, rather than having to use that one payphone at the busy 7-11.

All in all, I strongly recommend Windsor B&B. If you're paranoid or carrying a lot of valuables, I guess I can see why the charming yet admittedly not-so-strong locks on the front door might be disconcerting. But for the rest of us, practice common sense, and enjoy the place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple