All reviews modern amenities village bengal architecture tranquil homemade roofs balconies
Selected filters
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I visited Monchasha during Nov 2013, with my family. Heard a lot about this place, so expectation was high. After 02 nights & 3 days of stay, I was overwhelmed by the experience. I travel a lot throughout India & have stayed at trekkers hut to star hotels. Believe me, the personal touch they add to their hospitality is the best I have ever experienced. Food is excellent, authentic bengali cuisine. Meticulous about combination & varieties of foods.
Interacting with their staffs, Kanai Pal - the rickshaw puller, Kanai Bhaumik & Tushar Maiti the artisans will make you feel like you know them for years.

Had several adda sessions, with Nilanjan & Debjani Basu, the proprietor of this property. These people are really "jolly good fellow". Thanks for creating & maintaining MONCHASHA in West Bengal. Thanks for everything !!!

Room tip: Select Corner room. Visit Paushi Village & interact with the people & artisans, it will be a great experience !
Date of stay: November 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank manas d
Reviewed November 20, 2013

In bengali chash means cultivation. good cultivation gives us good crop. I usually tell people that, Mon-Chasha is also a place for cultivation. Here the crop is your mind, your sole. Going there, I bet, one will get the opportunity to cultivate his sole/mind for a new/fresh journey.
thank you Mon-Chasha, keep your journey on...............

This is not another eco-tourism project to me. I find so called eco-tourism a fashion to urban people who mostly dont feel the nature. Its a good topic nowadays to discuss in a living room or any urban gathering. One should not grade Mon-Chasha with those so-called fashion topic. Because, it means really drive to the nature and feel the sole with lots of good food, ethnic bengali culture etc.
somebody may feel that the tariff is high. But I differ. because you would get a good double bed room in hotel not less than rs 2000 minimum. here @ mon-chasha, accommodation is rs 3000 for 4 persons and the rooms is enough specious.
now come to food tariff. that is also less than any other hotel package for a day. here you may get some good local sweets from a nearby shop.

still, somebody may think, it is not worthy. But I bet, you cant get a nice place to feel your root.

Date of stay: September 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Vast greens under a light blue sky ~ waking up to the chirping of birds~ intriguing huts made of bamboo and thatch, with all modern conveniences inside ~a balcony which overlooks a gurgling rivulet ~ the air smells more fresh ~ the breeze feels more smooth ~ Mon Chasha is an experience everyone living close by should treat oneself with!And lest I forget the sheer gastronomic delight laid out, in true Bengali style complete with " kashar bash on" from "ghee bhaja to chutney mishti". If u happen to meet the wonderful owners duering your visit who are often there, they will tell you that it was their dream project, proceeds of which go to the orphanage next door. It might have been their dream project but it will also be your dream holiday ~ close to Kolkata and capturing the essence of Bengal

Date of stay: August 2013
Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Ipsiita
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I visited Monchasa with my family during the month of October. I had received very good reviews about this place and was looking forward to it and I must say it definitely met my expectations and in some cases even exceeded it. I was not aware that one can create such a dream place in such a remote village like Paushi but hats off to Nilanjanda and Debjanidi that they managed to create such a lovely abode amidst nature. I would recommend everyone to visit this place at least once to enjoy and savor the beauties of nature away from the hustle and bustle of city life. There are 4 cottages in total with each one accommodating at most 4 people. The rooms and washrooms are quite clean. The best part about the cottage is the adjacent balcony. I spent most of my time there. It faces a quiet river and there is green all around and fresh air everywhere!!

The food served is excellent and they serve authentic Bengal cuisine 4 times a day. In terms of activities, you can take a van-rickshaw ride in the local rural villages and visit the local artisans' homes. You will get a lovely collection of art work and they sell it at quite cheap prices. You can also enjoy fishing or pottery if you have inclination towards them. You can take a plunge in the adjacent ponds. They have a small library and also a collection of tabla, khol tabla etc which you can try your hands at at your leisure. Very enjoyable place for kids too!!! To summarize, it is nature's best abode on earth and definitely a place to stay if you want a respite from the busy city life. The natural beauty of this place will surely relax your senses and rejuvenate you!! A must visit!!

Date of stay: October 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Visited during September 2013.

Summary: Definitely not worth the money you pay given the state of affairs there - ill managed, unclean property which needs immediate attention and restoration.

Probably am the first one to write a negative feedback regarding this property. But in order to promote healthy tourism, you need to point out the problems for corrective actions to be taken so that others can have a better stay. Below are some of the details ->

Details:

1. There is a central courtyard sort of an arrangement. Till yesterday it was filled with weeds and rather tall grass all over. The first impression itself thus give you a sign of something that is not looked after properly

2. Adding to point 1, there is inadequate lighting. So after nightfall it is really risky to come out. We have seen snakes multiple times though the 3 workers at the resort were quite adamant that there are none which sounded rather funny. Also there was no indication that bleaching powder / carbolic acid and similar such protective stuff has been put in use in the property.

3. There are regular occurrences of rats entering the room and eating out the cotton seeds from the pillows. This happened on both the days. If this is a regular occurrence, as stated by the workers there, I would expect protective measures like iron net cladding to be put in place which simply was not there. No one in his or her senses would visit a resort to get bitten by rats !! With small kids in tow, that is extremely scary.

4. Toilets were unclean - the 3 member staff there definitely were not the ones who are maintained to clean toilets. And there were no sign of any sweeper visiting the premises during our 2 days stay there. You could smell the stench coming from adjoining toilets from where guests had left - probably it is just some bucket-full of water splashed in between the 2 sets of guests. Utterly unhygienic if that indeed is the case which I suspect to be the case.

5. No protective fences guarding the 2 ponds and the way to the river. Again for grown ups that is not an issue at all but with energetic kids who prefer to run around a lot, this is a risk factor. The water level in the ponds within the property was hardly a few inches below the bank and these have been left totally unguarded. A small mis-step and you are in big trouble.

6. Food: Food was good but nothing exceptional given the price point at which it was served. To add to that we were served the previous day's "Potol Postow" the next day after treating it with some curd and pushing it as "Doi Potol Postow". May go unnoticed to folks who do not know how to cook or are unfamiliar to these dishes but not for us. Also no facilities to keep milk / basic fruits like bananas in the resort though the local market is hardly 5 minutes walk. You need these to cater to people of all ages.

7. Staff Attitude: It was quite evident that the staff were just put in to work without the basic trainings that one would expect in the hospitality industry. Am stating these after staying in hundreds of hotels / resorts / camp sites of all kinds over the last 20+ years - road side tents and shanties in remote Spiti Valley to 7 star properties in Switzerland. For example, in the morning when we asked for milk for the 2 kids, we were told that there is no provision for the same and it need to be fetched and were advised that we would need at least 1 litre [morning + evening] and we said OK. In the evening when we asked for milk, we were told that we did order only half a litre and so there is no milk. One does not expect the staff to lie blatantly like that and go on arguing unnecessarily. In a similar vein, we were asked what we would like for breakfast - and after we had put our suggestions, the next day we see only part of it served and no mention about the other part. Lastly, the staff being not local, were totally clueless when asked any question. We knew about an old temple in the vicinity but when asked they pointed us to a direction to go and ask locals if we need further help. After a while when we met somebody local and enquired about the same, we were told that we have been directed wrongly.Typically any good resort these days have some sort of activities planned for the guests [at extra charge maybe] but no such arrangements seem to be in place - nor the staff could inform us about.

I can go on but this is just to highlight the major points. I went there precisely based on the good feedback I heard from friends and colleagues who had visited it last year. Looks like the owners are just after making money - cutting corners and reaping off the good name they have made in the initial days of their foray. Hope good senses prevail and corrective actions are taken at the earliest with proper earnest.

Date of stay: September 2013