All reviews modern amenities village bengal architecture tranquil homemade roofs balconies
Selected filters
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I visited Monchasa with my family during the month of October. I had received very good reviews about this place and was looking forward to it and I must say it definitely met my expectations and in some cases even exceeded it. I was not aware that one can create such a dream place in such a remote village like Paushi but hats off to Nilanjanda and Debjanidi that they managed to create such a lovely abode amidst nature. I would recommend everyone to visit this place at least once to enjoy and savor the beauties of nature away from the hustle and bustle of city life. There are 4 cottages in total with each one accommodating at most 4 people. The rooms and washrooms are quite clean. The best part about the cottage is the adjacent balcony. I spent most of my time there. It faces a quiet river and there is green all around and fresh air everywhere!!

The food served is excellent and they serve authentic Bengal cuisine 4 times a day. In terms of activities, you can take a van-rickshaw ride in the local rural villages and visit the local artisans' homes. You will get a lovely collection of art work and they sell it at quite cheap prices. You can also enjoy fishing or pottery if you have inclination towards them. You can take a plunge in the adjacent ponds. They have a small library and also a collection of tabla, khol tabla etc which you can try your hands at at your leisure. Very enjoyable place for kids too!!! To summarize, it is nature's best abode on earth and definitely a place to stay if you want a respite from the busy city life. The natural beauty of this place will surely relax your senses and rejuvenate you!! A must visit!!

Date of stay: October 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Visited during September 2013.

Summary: Definitely not worth the money you pay given the state of affairs there - ill managed, unclean property which needs immediate attention and restoration.

Probably am the first one to write a negative feedback regarding this property. But in order to promote healthy tourism, you need to point out the problems for corrective actions to be taken so that others can have a better stay. Below are some of the details ->

Details:

1. There is a central courtyard sort of an arrangement. Till yesterday it was filled with weeds and rather tall grass all over. The first impression itself thus give you a sign of something that is not looked after properly

2. Adding to point 1, there is inadequate lighting. So after nightfall it is really risky to come out. We have seen snakes multiple times though the 3 workers at the resort were quite adamant that there are none which sounded rather funny. Also there was no indication that bleaching powder / carbolic acid and similar such protective stuff has been put in use in the property.

3. There are regular occurrences of rats entering the room and eating out the cotton seeds from the pillows. This happened on both the days. If this is a regular occurrence, as stated by the workers there, I would expect protective measures like iron net cladding to be put in place which simply was not there. No one in his or her senses would visit a resort to get bitten by rats !! With small kids in tow, that is extremely scary.

4. Toilets were unclean - the 3 member staff there definitely were not the ones who are maintained to clean toilets. And there were no sign of any sweeper visiting the premises during our 2 days stay there. You could smell the stench coming from adjoining toilets from where guests had left - probably it is just some bucket-full of water splashed in between the 2 sets of guests. Utterly unhygienic if that indeed is the case which I suspect to be the case.

5. No protective fences guarding the 2 ponds and the way to the river. Again for grown ups that is not an issue at all but with energetic kids who prefer to run around a lot, this is a risk factor. The water level in the ponds within the property was hardly a few inches below the bank and these have been left totally unguarded. A small mis-step and you are in big trouble.

6. Food: Food was good but nothing exceptional given the price point at which it was served. To add to that we were served the previous day's "Potol Postow" the next day after treating it with some curd and pushing it as "Doi Potol Postow". May go unnoticed to folks who do not know how to cook or are unfamiliar to these dishes but not for us. Also no facilities to keep milk / basic fruits like bananas in the resort though the local market is hardly 5 minutes walk. You need these to cater to people of all ages.

7. Staff Attitude: It was quite evident that the staff were just put in to work without the basic trainings that one would expect in the hospitality industry. Am stating these after staying in hundreds of hotels / resorts / camp sites of all kinds over the last 20+ years - road side tents and shanties in remote Spiti Valley to 7 star properties in Switzerland. For example, in the morning when we asked for milk for the 2 kids, we were told that there is no provision for the same and it need to be fetched and were advised that we would need at least 1 litre [morning + evening] and we said OK. In the evening when we asked for milk, we were told that we did order only half a litre and so there is no milk. One does not expect the staff to lie blatantly like that and go on arguing unnecessarily. In a similar vein, we were asked what we would like for breakfast - and after we had put our suggestions, the next day we see only part of it served and no mention about the other part. Lastly, the staff being not local, were totally clueless when asked any question. We knew about an old temple in the vicinity but when asked they pointed us to a direction to go and ask locals if we need further help. After a while when we met somebody local and enquired about the same, we were told that we have been directed wrongly.Typically any good resort these days have some sort of activities planned for the guests [at extra charge maybe] but no such arrangements seem to be in place - nor the staff could inform us about.

I can go on but this is just to highlight the major points. I went there precisely based on the good feedback I heard from friends and colleagues who had visited it last year. Looks like the owners are just after making money - cutting corners and reaping off the good name they have made in the initial days of their foray. Hope good senses prevail and corrective actions are taken at the earliest with proper earnest.

Date of stay: September 2013
13  Thank debanjan_das_gupta
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Visiting Mon-chasha was an impromptu decision we took to spend the weekend while on a business trip to Kolkata ( incidentally my family was with me). One decision that had brought me closest to the kind of abode i have always dreamt of.

Despite living an apartment of a high rise in a fast paced and chaotic city, my "wish" of a home has always been ' ...may I a small house and large garden have/ And a few friends, and many books, both true, Both wise, and both delightful too!...' And there I was in Mon-Chasha with family and friends in the luxury of huts, large courtyard, garden, a pond and a small rivulet flowing in the backyard....across the river green fields spread unto the horizon.

Supply of good things far exceeded the demand in Mon-Chasha.

The accommodation and facilities ware tidy and hygienic. Never felt the need of an AC with cool breeze flowing in trough the windows and walls... sleeping under a mosquito net was comforting and gave a secured feeling.

Food was very good but the way it was presented in bell metal dishes definitely scored better.

Load shedding ( for a short duration) in the evening was just perfect to read out ghost stories from a book I picked from the small library.

My 3 and half yr old son was prompt in picking up a old mandolin and his friend ( my friend's son) a drum from the collection of toys to form a band belting out popular hindi numbers...

On a serious note, Mon-Chasha to me is a brilliant effort to showcase the life of rural bengal...and I hope more Non-Bengalies visit this place to get a glimpse of that life....

The "grihastha" in me could not ask for more...

NB: I missed my glass of scotch and a soulful boatman singing at a distance.. well, that would be asking a bit too much I guess...

ENJOY...!!!

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 19, 2013

An experience of a lifetime..

Was there with my dad, mom and better half last year... This is a place where you should go at least once in your lifetime and the moment you are there you will feel like you should come here again and again. This time I would like to share the experience that I had with the Pros and Cons. Here it goes

- We had heard a lot about Monchasha and decided to go there for a weekend
- We traveled in a car from Kolkata. The drive is about 2 - 3 hrs. Alternatively a train route to Contai and then a pickup could had been opted for. But I wanted to drive. And the decision was correct. Driving on roads with Nature filled roads, ponds, rivers on both the sides with fresh oxygen was truly amazing
- The journey till the moment we drove in had made our expectations go very high and it was met superbly the time when we stepped in..
- A huge area with 2 big ponds, 4 bamboo cottages, gardens filled with flowers and veggies greeted us
- A small river curved behind the scene and the view was amazing

Pros
- Huge spaces in the cottages. Sleeps 4 + more easily..
- Neat bathrooms
- Clean linens
- Superb food. All this food comes from the garden outside with 0 pesticides or the pond where fishes grow naturally
- The owners and the staff deserves a special mention. They are one of the best I have ever seen. Talk with them for a hour or two makes you feel like you know them for long and they are part of the extended family
- Utensils deserve a special mention. You are served food on authentic Kasha platters

Dos
- Sit quietly on the balcony and watch the river flow by. Its one the most beautiful things I have ever seen
- Engage in the evening time lokgeeti where localites and the owners play folk music. If you know playing any instrument or like singing go on dont stop yourself
- Cook food in the kitchen
- Take a boat ride on the river during the sunrise
- Take a dip in the pond..
- Visit the nearby ashram and talk/ engage with the kids there and meet the man who has been father to many orphans there

This trip rejuvenated me like anything.. when I walked in I was stressed at my peak capacity. But when I left I felt like I have been freed of all my problems...

A must visit for all from my perspective

Date of stay: September 2012
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Me and my extended family visited this place on the Independence Day weekend. At first i was wondering how will this place be without AC rooms and bamboo cottages, but when i reached there i was taken aback by the pristine beauty of the place.
A complete village set-up was actually a delight for us after coming from a busy city life. The lovely breeze, the tranquility of the place has never made me feel the need for an AC. One thing for which i have to give thumbs up to the people is the way they maintained the place and the kept complete care of hygiene, really appreciate that.
Nilanjan & Debjani the owner of the place and the other staff members did everything possible to make our stay comfortable. Thank you so very much.
Oh yes, the food there really needs a mention. Such delicious Bengali food and the way they serve you in "bell metal" plates you will feel like a " Bengali Zamindar".
Overall its a wonderful place to spend a weekend and honestly i was little sad when i had to come back from there.

Best