“Preserving history”

and up
Private Tour: 5-Day Auckland and Bay of Islands Trip
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Matakohe
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kauri Museum tells the story of the mighty kauri tree, its fascinating gum and pioneering past. The Kauri tree is the focal point and theme of this museum, showing the different stages of how this giant wonder fueled industries that sustained communities of the early settlers. The Museum has over 4,500 sq mtrs of undercover attraction, and is a 'Must See'! Visit our heritage Museum en route to the ancient kauri trees in the Waipoua Forest. Visitor Information Centre on site with main focus on the western route of the Twin Coast Discovery Highway and Northland. Disabled friendly, lots of free parking spaces available, accommodation and cafes nearby. Location: 5 Church Road, Matakohe, New Zealand 0593 Hours: Mon - Sun: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (Open every day except Christmas Day)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Jamaica
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“Preserving history”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

A remarkable record of the kauri forestry, including the times and people.well presented and well organized. A must-see. Only drawback might be the $20/person charge.

Brisbane, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Costs a little bit but worth it !”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Amazng museum that has a full sized 2 storey boarding house from the 1900's built inside. It gives a marvellous insight into the NZ timber industry and the size of some of the logs is incredulous. It costs more than I was expecting but was still good value. Awesome gift and coffee shops.

Melbourne, Vic
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fascinating Kauri gums”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

When my sister said we should go to the Kauri Museum, I thought, Oh, ho hum, not that interesting to me. Well, I was very wrong. This was a fascinating place. I learned so much that I didn't know about Kauri trees, gum, amber, NZ heritage, etc. I was shocked at the destruction of those giants of the forest that early pioneers wrought. I was delighted by 'the gum roon', wow, golden treasure. We were given a guided tour by Jos, and this was included in the admission price. She was passionate and interesting - and it was so much better than going around by yourself. A fantastic place to visit.

Salisbury UK
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Interesting place”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had heard much about the Kauri trees but had no real idea what to expect. A fascinating insight into the tree seems to have played a major part in the settlement and development of New Zealand.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Surprisingly well done”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I heard that the Kauri museum was worth seeing but considered a museum about a tree wouldn't be that interesting, but I risked it and went in.

What I liked was the well described artefacts and photos. I loved the mannekins. They weren't your average doll. Each one was unique and modelled on one of the people who helped create the museum. They were incredibly detailed and at first glance you'd think you were looking at real people! Not only that, the museum gave a short biography of each one. It seems the museum volunteers all descended from early pioneers.

This museum really brought the story of the mighty Kauri tree to life.

If I had any criticisms, it was that the path through the museum could have been clearer and more logical. I'm the kind of person who likes to follow a story from start to finish. Another thought was that I knew little about this wonderful tree. Where does it grow, how many trees are left, when did logging end, what conservation efforts are being made.

Visited September 2013