All reviewstide poolsgreat waveslow tideother guestslocal communitythe kitchen staffwater pressurefeel like familyrelaxing placeper daycold beermin walkyoga retreatboat triprocking chairsprivate bathroomallison
Reviewed August 7, 2017

My husband and I chose Solid for our 10th anniversary trip because we wanted a relaxing vacation where we could swim, surf, eat, drink, do yoga, relax, and not have to handle any of the logistics ourselves. This was perfect.

You are literally steps from the beach here, with a covered deck to sit on and watch the surf. The waves are fun and uncrowded straight out front, but there are other spots nearby, and the staff will drive you even further up or down the coast if conditions out front aren't favorable. It is the perfect place to get over the Northern California cold water blues. Down at the end of the beach are really cool tide pools that you can swim in and explore at low tide - really cool.

Our room was spacious and simple. The air conditioning worked great - we kept it off during the day but turned it on right around dinner and it was perfectly cool by the time we went to bed. The food is fantastic. Everything is fresh, mostly local, and prepared by a lovely local team, and we didn't have any repeats of meals the whole week we were there (although we would have loved to have the coconut fish a second time...). We also loved the daily fruit juice - it was fun to sit at the table with the other guests and try to guess the juice. The bar is next door at the hostel and has a good selection of ice cold mixed drinks and beer.

We did yoga every morning, and even were able to sneak in a few night time, candlelight yoga sessions, which was awesome. There is a wonderful yoga deck built right at the beach, so you can see and hear the waves while you practice. They have a full selection of mats and props, so no need to bring your own.

Other than meals and the tides, you're really free to do what you like with your days, which is exactly what we were looking for. The staff are fantastic, and always available to help, give advice, or even just hang out. Plus, they manage to get photos of all of your surfing sessions. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2017

Excellent waves, quaint town, friendly people -- Solid Surf in El Transito is a one-of-a-kind place that is perfect for any traveler. I came solo and spent the week there. Most people are there in pairs or by themselves. I left the resort with many new friends I hope to keep in touch with for years to come.

The food is excellent. Allison and Jhon do a fantastic job at making guests feel welcome.

It is less of a surf camp and more of a resort that makes surfing as easy and accessible as possible. If you are a beginner surfer that is looking for highly regimented surf instruction, there are likely better places in Nicaragua. That being said, the surf break and accessibility suits surfers of all levels.

I had an absolute blast. Can't wait to make it back here again soon.

- Collin

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo
2  Thank c13horn
Reviewed July 24, 2017 via mobile

I can't say enough about this place. You are literally steps from the water which provides a great breeze in the evenings along with the most comfortable view while relaxing in the hammocks or rocking chairs gazing out at the ocean. The food is fresh and very good, the fish is caught offshore and brought back steps away from the resort. I'm not a yoga guy but took advantage of the morning yoga which really helped with my surfing to loosing me up, the yoga deck overlooks the ocean so it was awesome to say the least. I was there for surfing and we scored really good uncrowned waves plus there's a barreling wave to north (5 minute walk) that was fun even if you didn't make it out. When I say uncrowned I mean it, on the most crowded day there was 30 people max (once) and usually less than 10 people during the morning/afternoon sessions. There's some really nice tide pools to the south(10 min walk) but low tide is the key for safety purposes, and you should check out the town it's small and easy to walk around. The staff is awesome and the bar at the solid hostel next door is a great place to enjoy an ice cold Tona beer or a rum and ginger ale which is surprisingly really good and relax in a hammock or on the rancho talking about your session. Surf when you want, drink when you want and nap when you want sums it up best so I hope this recommendation helps.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2017 via mobile

I visited Nicaragua this past year with a group of yogis on a yoga retreat. I was an instructor on this retreat and have to say I was incredibly pleased at how accommodating the staff at solid were. They went above and beyond to get our group the things we needed not to mention they were a ton of fun to be around!
The accommodations are simple and comfortable and helps you to feel connected to Nicaragua. I would highly recommend Solid Surf and Adventure to anyone looking for a rad yoga retreat location! I will be going back again this next year, can't wait!

Stayed: January 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2017

We paid $400.00 per night for two people - - this included meals x3 per day, beers, rum & our rides in from MGA & back to MGA. Four days = $1,600.00. Cash. US dollars.

The room is basic: louvered windows, concrete walls, adjoining private bathroom. The windows are sieves for heat. And noise. You hear all conversations outside your room. We had to cover the windows with extra bedding which helped greatly to keep the heat out.

The bathroom is basic. Taking a brief shower resulted in the drain backing up to over the ankles, then taking over 60 minutes to drain off. The water pressure was abysmal. I've traveled the world & this was quite possibly the worst water pressure I'd ever seen - - always almost no pressure, at all hours; there was no good time of day or night to expect water pressure because it didn't exist.

Housekeeping: never saw them because they never came 'round in our 4-day stay.

The food is decent but nondescript. Good-sized portions. You eat when everyone else eats.

The location of Solid Surf & Adventure is on the beach. Best thing about this hotel are the rocking chairs that face the ocean.

The bar is basic. It's located in the next-door hostel aspect of this establishment, accessible through a door in the wall. Note to owners: invest in a new blender. Reason being, it was almost comical to watch the wonderful, friendly but totally frustrated bartenders try to make smoothies taking 10 minutes per drink with a blender that is a near-complete piece of junk.

The blender might serve as a metaphor for this hotel. Meaning, management isn't taking note of what works & what doesn't work. And there's a LOT of things that don't function well at Solid Surf & Adventure.

The marketing is what drew us in. One of the owners (American) has an extensive background in social media & marketing. The website is professional & slick, the brochure is also slick. The other thing that drew us in to book here was the number of 5-star reviews on TA. Starting to make the connection here...? After I returned to the States, I took a closer look at all of those 5-star reviews. Awful lot of one-offs there. An awful lot....

$400 per night is a very high rate to pay for a room in Nica. Solid Surf & Adventure unfortunately does not provide good value for the money. Thus, my 3-star rating. It was close to being 2-star. Frankly, when one stacks up what one has experienced for $400 per night I can't think of anything of redeeming value at Solid Surf & Adventure that justifies the $400 per night rate.

At the end of our trip, I went to tip the kitchen staff. $20 each, but as I passed out the tip money to the hard-working folks in the kitchen, thanking them in Spanish for the meals, they just stared at the money without comment. Without touching the money. It was a very odd moment. They looked at the money almost as if they shouldn't be receiving it. I followed the recommended tip program: 10% on our stay would be $160, distributed amongst 7 or 8 hotel staff = $20 per person.

Which leads me to this: the staff walk around with stone faces. They don't greet guests, nor even say hello in passing. They aren't unfriendly. They just behave like zombies. It's as if they're afraid of something (and it's not the guests that they are fearful of). Their body language is strong, and it is rigid / scared. Something is very wrong with how these people are managed.

I owned a place down the coast near Playa Colorado, and thus I have spent much time in Nicaragua. The owners may attempt to do the passive-aggro displace the accountability thing by claiming that 'this isn't the USA & in Nica things happen that aren't like at home' - - to which, my response would be, then don't charge USA prices; and, secondly, the problems at your hotel have nothing to do with Nica & everything to do with poor management.

If I'm ever in that region again, I would spend my money elsewhere, that's for sure, rather than at Solid Surf & Adventure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same; that's not saying much!
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple