All reviewstide poolsgreat waveslow tideother guestslocal communitythe kitchen staffwater pressurefeel like familyrelaxing placeper daycold beermin walkyoga retreatboat triprocking chairsprivate bathroomallison
Reviewed June 9, 2017 via mobile

I visited Nicaragua this past year with a group of yogis on a yoga retreat. I was an instructor on this retreat and have to say I was incredibly pleased at how accommodating the staff at solid were. They went above and beyond to get our group the things we needed not to mention they were a ton of fun to be around!
The accommodations are simple and comfortable and helps you to feel connected to Nicaragua. I would highly recommend Solid Surf and Adventure to anyone looking for a rad yoga retreat location! I will be going back again this next year, can't wait!

Stayed: January 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2017

We paid $400.00 per night for two people - - this included meals x3 per day, beers, rum & our rides in from MGA & back to MGA. Four days = $1,600.00. Cash. US dollars.

The room is basic: louvered windows, concrete walls, adjoining private bathroom. The windows are sieves for heat. And noise. You hear all conversations outside your room. We had to cover the windows with extra bedding which helped greatly to keep the heat out.

The bathroom is basic. Taking a brief shower resulted in the drain backing up to over the ankles, then taking over 60 minutes to drain off. The water pressure was abysmal. I've traveled the world & this was quite possibly the worst water pressure I'd ever seen - - always almost no pressure, at all hours; there was no good time of day or night to expect water pressure because it didn't exist.

Housekeeping: never saw them because they never came 'round in our 4-day stay.

The food is decent but nondescript. Good-sized portions. You eat when everyone else eats.

The location of Solid Surf & Adventure is on the beach. Best thing about this hotel are the rocking chairs that face the ocean.

The bar is basic. It's located in the next-door hostel aspect of this establishment, accessible through a door in the wall. Note to owners: invest in a new blender. Reason being, it was almost comical to watch the wonderful, friendly but totally frustrated bartenders try to make smoothies taking 10 minutes per drink with a blender that is a near-complete piece of junk.

The blender might serve as a metaphor for this hotel. Meaning, management isn't taking note of what works & what doesn't work. And there's a LOT of things that don't function well at Solid Surf & Adventure.

The marketing is what drew us in. One of the owners (American) has an extensive background in social media & marketing. The website is professional & slick, the brochure is also slick. The other thing that drew us in to book here was the number of 5-star reviews on TA. Starting to make the connection here...? After I returned to the States, I took a closer look at all of those 5-star reviews. Awful lot of one-offs there. An awful lot....

$400 per night is a very high rate to pay for a room in Nica. Solid Surf & Adventure unfortunately does not provide good value for the money. Thus, my 3-star rating. It was close to being 2-star. Frankly, when one stacks up what one has experienced for $400 per night I can't think of anything of redeeming value at Solid Surf & Adventure that justifies the $400 per night rate.

At the end of our trip, I went to tip the kitchen staff. $20 each, but as I passed out the tip money to the hard-working folks in the kitchen, thanking them in Spanish for the meals, they just stared at the money without comment. Without touching the money. It was a very odd moment. They looked at the money almost as if they shouldn't be receiving it. I followed the recommended tip program: 10% on our stay would be $160, distributed amongst 7 or 8 hotel staff = $20 per person.

Which leads me to this: the staff walk around with stone faces. They don't greet guests, nor even say hello in passing. They aren't unfriendly. They just behave like zombies. It's as if they're afraid of something (and it's not the guests that they are fearful of). Their body language is strong, and it is rigid / scared. Something is very wrong with how these people are managed.

I owned a place down the coast near Playa Colorado, and thus I have spent much time in Nicaragua. The owners may attempt to do the passive-aggro displace the accountability thing by claiming that 'this isn't the USA & in Nica things happen that aren't like at home' - - to which, my response would be, then don't charge USA prices; and, secondly, the problems at your hotel have nothing to do with Nica & everything to do with poor management.

If I'm ever in that region again, I would spend my money elsewhere, that's for sure, rather than at Solid Surf & Adventure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same; that's not saying much!
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
11  Thank fawlcon
Reviewed March 28, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I got into surfing in the last 2 years, and we were looking for a quiet hideaway oasis for a surfing honeymoon. We found Solid Surf, and we are so happy we did. The staff were so friendly and really made us feel special on our honeymoon. The surfing was challenging and made us better surfers by the end. It's a close drive (1-3 hrs) to the major city/town and attractions. Allison and the staff arranged rides for us to town and made everything really easy. Breathtaking sunsets, cold beer, fun waves, fresh food, and a super chill friendly atmosphere. We were there in November, although it did rain some days, there was almost always sun during the day. Plus the lightening storms were the most spectacular thing I had ever seen. We definitely hope to be back some day!

Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2017

My two girlfriends and I had an absolute blast at Solid. The water was amazing, perfect temperature and consistent waves. The staff were wonderful, friendly. The food was fresh and terrific. The hosts were awesome, we literally didn't have to think about anything. Meals were planned, they organized transportation for us, made everything seamless. It was the perfect place to learn how to surf, relax, and meet great people. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to spend time in this beautiful place :)

Room Tip: Casa de Coco, great view! Great pool!
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2017 via mobile

My friends and I had a great time at Solid. The staff were amazing, especially the cooking staff, were they pulled off some amazing dishes, the food was fresh and the accommodations met expectations. Chris and Ashley were easy to talk to with lots of helpful info and advice. The water was amazing with several surf breaks right in front. Me being a beginner found it helpful to have such easy access, with no one surfing in the am, and front in centre to watch locals and other travellers take advantage of the friendliness in the water and great swells in the late afternoon. I personally felt a good vibe in the air and met lots of interesting people, who I feel will be lifelong friends...

If you are looking for a mellow time this is the spot. If you are looking for party central and want to hit up clubs, sorry go to a city, as that type of night life does not exist here. One can still have drinks at the tiki bar, where the bar staff are easy going, and allow you to play sappy 90's/2000's chick rock tunes if u so desire.

Look up! The night sky was brilliant with no light pollution.

Sunsets were amazing with no words to explain them.

John and Allison, deserve credit for putting this all together. Thank you so much for the great time.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled with friends