“nice compromise hike”
Review of Kayenta Trail

Kayenta Trail
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This lovely trail offers a nice compromise for those looking for a less strenuous/frightening hike while still catching some amazing views. Take this trail into the Emerald pool trail for lovely surprises as you round each corner.

All reviews
"entire hike"
"amazing views"
"canyon walls"

Reviewed November 8, 2013

If the shuttles are running, I like to enter the Emerald Pools hike on the Lower Emerald Pools trail, then exit on the Kayenta Trail. The shuttle will pick you up or drop you off at either location.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was a great relatively quick and easy hike and especially beautiful when paired with the Emerald Falls trail. The views of the river cannot be beat. We went in the early morning and encountered only 2 other folks hiking the trail.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Loved this trail. It was the first one I did on my trip. I did the ranger hike so we stopped a lot and learned for the fantastic ranger. Pretty easy trail. It gets hot as the day goes on so get there early and you are in the shade. I took it to the Emerald Pools and it was a spectacular start to my experience in Zion. An amazing trail for gorgeous pictures of the Virgin River.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We hiked this mid morning after visiting the Lower Emerald Pool. I agree with reviewer Steve, from Avon, OH. This is the best way out after getting that far in to the canyon. The Emerald Pool trail is not to be missed when you visit Zion. I captured my best picture there. No spoilers though. After spending some time there, (it's 0.6 miles in from the Emerald Pool trail head), we decided to go up a little further to the Upper/Middle Pool detour. That higher climb looked a little too daunting for this out of shape mom and her eleven yr old so we finally decided it would be about as quick to continue on Kayenta Trail and see more new things than to go back the way we came.
Kayenta is rugged. The Emerald Pool trail is all paved and relatively easy to climb. Anyone from three to seventy three could manage it, and yes I saw both ends of the spectrum. But Kayenta is more challenging. There are drop offs, switchbacks and steep natural steps to navigate so be careful with your footing. That said, the views are spectacular and shouldn't be missed. But to do this trail, start at Emerald Pools. I think the very steep beginning at the Kayenta Trailhead would make a lot of people turn around before they get there and actually once you're there that's as high as you'll climb. Kayenta is all downhill coming from the pools. Lots of wildlife abounds here too. We saw a mule deer, several lizards, a snake and just missed a toad the family ahead of us saw.
Make this a morning or late afternoon hike. The sun is on you as you hike although there are lots of pockets of shade.

2  Thank Amanda C