“Beautiful views!”
Review of Kayenta Trail

Kayenta Trail
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was a great relatively quick and easy hike and especially beautiful when paired with the Emerald Falls trail. The views of the river cannot be beat. We went in the early morning and encountered only 2 other folks hiking the trail.

There are newer reviews for Kayenta Trail

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Loved this trail. It was the first one I did on my trip. I did the ranger hike so we stopped a lot and learned for the fantastic ranger. Pretty easy trail. It gets hot as the day goes on so get there early and you are in the shade. I took it to the Emerald Pools and it was a spectacular start to my experience in Zion. An amazing trail for gorgeous pictures of the Virgin River.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We hiked this mid morning after visiting the Lower Emerald Pool. I agree with reviewer Steve, from Avon, OH. This is the best way out after getting that far in to the canyon. The Emerald Pool trail is not to be missed when you visit Zion. I captured my best picture there. No spoilers though. After spending some time there, (it's 0.6 miles in from the Emerald Pool trail head), we decided to go up a little further to the Upper/Middle Pool detour. That higher climb looked a little too daunting for this out of shape mom and her eleven yr old so we finally decided it would be about as quick to continue on Kayenta Trail and see more new things than to go back the way we came.
Kayenta is rugged. The Emerald Pool trail is all paved and relatively easy to climb. Anyone from three to seventy three could manage it, and yes I saw both ends of the spectrum. But Kayenta is more challenging. There are drop offs, switchbacks and steep natural steps to navigate so be careful with your footing. That said, the views are spectacular and shouldn't be missed. But to do this trail, start at Emerald Pools. I think the very steep beginning at the Kayenta Trailhead would make a lot of people turn around before they get there and actually once you're there that's as high as you'll climb. Kayenta is all downhill coming from the pools. Lots of wildlife abounds here too. We saw a mule deer, several lizards, a snake and just missed a toad the family ahead of us saw.
Make this a morning or late afternoon hike. The sun is on you as you hike although there are lots of pockets of shade.

2  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Kayenta Trail is a wonderful trail and is an excellent way to finish your visit of the Emerald Pools as a way to return to the scenic drive rather than recovering the same very crowded ground. This trail is somewhat longer than the Lower Emerald Pool trail at 1mi (1.6k) and a little more difficult but it is far less crowded and offers better views along the way. The Kayenta trail connects at the end of the Lower Emerald Pool Trail and follows a ridgeline of the side canyon across from the Lower Emerald Pool trail and then along a ridgeline in the Kayenta sandstone layer high above Zion’s main canyon overlooking cottonwoods and the Virgin River below. Along the trail there are numerous cacti, lizards, birds and lots of red rock. The trail returns to the scenic drive at The Grotto which is next shuttle stop upstream from the Zion Lodge. From this point, one can pick-up a shuttle in either direction or take the 0.5mi (0.8k) Grotto trail back to the Lodge. This is a very enjoyable, relatively short and easy trail that we fortunately did not miss.

3  Thank Steve1362
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I combined the lower, middle and upper emerald pools (started in Zion Lodge) with Kayenta (arriving at the Grotto). In total it took me 2 hours. A nice walk with strenious and easy pieces. A lot of variation, through a more sheltered path (at the strart), passing the "shower" at lower pools (looks like a giant "rain shower"), moving up a more exposed path to the middle pools, and higher up to the upper pools. The path was quite crowded (I was there on a sunny but not too hot sunday afternoon...), but that was OK (all being graceous). Down Kayenta trail gave nice views on the river.

1  Thank GretelGoesPlaces