“Great hike”
Review of Observation Point

Observation Point
More attraction details
Owner description: This overlook provides a great view of southern Zion Canyon if you're willing to climb the 2200 feet of elevation to get there.
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We planned our trip based on the National Park information and allowed a day for this "6 hour" hike. We are middle-aged, regular hikers, far from peak fitness, fully acclimatised to the altitude and partially acclimatised to the heat. We walked up slowly, mostly in the shade of the canyon taking plenty of photos. We came down at a reasonable pace. Round trip time two and a half hours.
If you are a regular hiker I suggest you ignore the park's timings and make your own assessment based on ascent, mileage, weather and your acclimatisation.
It's a great hike, wonderful rocks, a good route up and a fabulous balcony walk at the end with great views of the plateau.

3  Thank Trekbud

Reviewed August 15, 2014

We completely enjoyed the hike to observation point! Every twist and turn brough more amazing views. The best part, there were very few people on the trail and at the top. Most of the hike brought a silence that everyone needs to experience. Although the hike had some good cardio moments, we thought the hike was easier than expected. The view at the top were breath-taking and the hike left us feeling renewed and rejuvenated. A must do!

1  Thank Scott P
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This was our (two teenage boys and me - just north of 50) first hike in Zion. We started early (about 8:30) and spent about 5 hours going up and coming down (with about 30 minutes on top). It was strenuous, but the views and sights were really worth it. Also important was that there were very few people on this hike (we did it on a Saturday) which made it that much more contemplative and, no offense, enjoyable. (At the top, there were probably less than eight people there.) Once you go through a small canyon, you truly felt separated from the rest of the Park. There were parts, particularly in the canyon, where it was utterly and eerily quiet. Really neat. We saw Bighorn sheep and (someone said) a condor. Much to my sons' disappointment, I have some height issues so Angel's Landing was out of the question for me. This was a worthy substitute, particularly as we looked down on Angel's Landing from across the valley. (Although this hike had some "height warnings" it was fine and presented no problems for me. There were some spectacular drop offs, but the trail was typically at least five wide.) We did five or six other hikes in the Park, all unique and enjoyable, but this was the best. Highly recommended.

2  Thank OldBob1860
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is a great hike, but the trail gets crowded early in the day. I set out on the shuttle from visitor's parking and arrived at the Weeping Rock trail head at 8:30 AM. I went to the top of Echo Canyon and came back down but passed maybe only five other hikers on my way up. Coming down at 10:30 AM, I passed dozens of folks ascending, making that early espresso to fuel my 6 AM wake up time worth it.

Tips:

- In the heat of summer-- when Zion is at its busiest-- going early in the morning allows you to enjoy the shade of the canyon before the unforgiving southwestern sun arrives in full force. You also get breathtaking views of sunrise over Angel's Landing and adjacent mountains. Great photo opps. I wish I had arrived a bit earlier with a coffee in my tumbler to sit down and watch it for a bit.

- For an experienced hiker with good conditioning, it was a safe and solitary experience. Watch out for steep cliff sides at rare junctions and take your time going up via the initial switchbacks. If you go anytime after 10 AM, sunscreen, hats, snacks, and water should be mandatory- especially if you have teenagers and/or kids with you!

Unfortunately, I had limited time, but will definitely be back to explore the East Rim Trail area. Better views than Angel's with a great workout, too.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I always recommend this hike over Angels Landing. When you finish this beautiful Hike you end up looking down on Angels Landing, without the crowds of people you find hiking Angels Landing. It is a steady climb of paved paths all the way with beautiful Echo Canyon in the middle of the hike. Give it a try, I think you will like it! Great vistas from the top.