We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zion National Park
Watchman Campground
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

i caen in at dark worried that maybe I would be out of luck but even with only two loops open I had the run of the place. Spectacular place to wake up to. I picked a campsite away from the river with a clear view of the sky for my telescope. Súper.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank That_NASA_Guy

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were here in December, so it was freezing cold, and we were almost alone.
This camp site was the cheapest we were in on this trip (only 18$ per night), and possibly the most beautiful, as it is right inside the park, surrounded by the beautiful canyon that is Zion national Park.

Pros:
- Views. Beautiful doesnt do it justice
- Price - very cheap.
- Location - as I said - this is inside the park. Want to go for a Zion trail run as you wake up? no Problem!
- Clean

Cons:
- no showers
- ice cold water in bathrooms and dish washing station (very painful under freezing temperature)

Overall - if you can live without a shower for the night - this is a winner!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Watchman Camp Ground and were really impressed with the overall cleanliness and easy access to the visitor's center/shuttles. The campground is the first right after you enter the park, just past the visitor's center. While a previous reviewer didn't like the hard gravel base in the camp sites, we really appreciated it because it kept down the dirt. We stayed in the tent-only "C" loop in space C-14. We were 2 spaces away from the almost-finished bathroom, which includes a utility sink outside for washing dishes/hair etc. We attended the Ranger program at 8pm in a really nice ampitheater that was excellent - there are well-lit trails to walk there. There are also nice trails to the visitor center/shuttle station. It only takes about 10 minutes to walk there from C loop. I've attached a photo - we had trees in the area just behind our camp site, and the sun didn't really get hot until after 9am (by which time we were off for the day exploring the park). There are group camping sites behind us - they weren't being used while we were there but it's something to be aware of due to potential noise. Also it can get windy in the evening - be sure to stake down your tent.The only negatives:
1.NO SHOWERS. The ranger told us there were 2 places in Springdale that had public showers, and one charged $5 for about 5 minutes. We just made do w/o, but if were staying longer than 2 nights it would have been a problem.
2. Yellow jackets - they came out for breakfast, and again for our steak dinner. They went away after dark, so we just ate late the 2nd night to avoid them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SeattleOutdoorMom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here two nights in separate locations; I found the group spaces better. When I had a single tent space, in the C loop, I was disappointed with the hard gravel base. Overall, nice views and enjoyed meeting friendly folks who run the grounds and camped here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I haven't had good luck with national park campgrounds, but the renovated areas of the Watchman Campground in Zion are superb. The bathrooms are spacious, well-lit, have plenty of shelves and hooks, and even - gasp - have soap and paper towels, a real luxury at a campground. There are also outdoor sinks for dish washing. The group campsites are nice and if you're lucky, you can reserve one with a tiny stream running through it.

The only downside is that if you're not near a renovated site, you will be stuck with the old bathrooms - no hooks, no soap, no outdoor sinks - or even worse, if the bathroom nearest you is under construction, it's porta-potty time.

The location is a bit of a walk from the Zion Visitor Center, but the advantage is that it's quieter and more scenic than the other campground, plus you're very close to the ampitheater for nighttime programs.

3  Thank PassportStampAddict
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights last week and I was a little worried. I havent been camping in a long time and I was a little worried about not have access to showers or running water. Neither really bothered me once I got to Watchman. We camped in F-08 which was a walk-up, tent only site, but your car is very close walking distance and the restrooms are a short little walk away. The restrooms are very clean. There is one restroom that is all by itself for men or women.... this is where you can clean-up pretty nicely and you have the restroom all to yourself. There were hardly any insects at the time. It would have been nice to have a fire pit, but once we got back to camp after hiking all day we were pretty tired so we just went to sleep after dinner. I really liked this campground. We also, spent 2 additional nights a South Campground. It was nice as well, but the restrooms at Watchman we a little nicer.

Oh I almost forgot!!!!! My only negative review for the area we camped at was that the wind kicks up around midnight. Our tent was really flapping in the wind and it made it a little difficult to sleep. That was the only con. I think that if this particular campsite had trees it would have been less windy.

Room Tip: If you camp in a site that does not have trees, like the F-section... there will be wind during the...
5  Thank Jacqueline M
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in loop A mid September and we had both a trailer and a tent, we where glad to have power and the cell phone reception was excellent. There were ants in the campsite but we had no problem with invasions or ant bites, of course we did take care to keep food or sweet drinks put away, the yellow jackets showed up while cooking so bringing some food nets would be helpful. A loop is close to day use parking B loop offers more privacy. From this campground it's easy to walk or take the shuttle to town and the shuttles will take you easily to any areas of the park you want to hike. No showers and only one of the outfitters in town offer showers, not the other private campground! When we spoke with them they said they had not done that for some time so bring your wet wipes :)

1  Thank lasvegas_NVDoglover
#3 of 5 in Zion National Park
Zion Mountain Ranch
Zion Mountain Ranch
#1 of 5 in Zion National Park

Been to Watchman Campground? Share your experiences!