“Spectacular!! Don't miss it!”

Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway
Book In Advance
More Info
$1,999.00*
and up
Experience Utah's National Parks: Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, and...
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic highway offers interesting curves and tunnels.
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We had been in Bryce Canyon and were traveling to Zion NP, so naturally this is the route we took. We came into the park from the east entrance not even realizing what a spectacular treat we were in for. It's really beyond all comprehension and all expecations!! I don't take a lot of scenery pictures....I buy a postcard, but I couldn't stop taking pictures. It really is incredibley beautiful. I can't say enough about the drive. The tunnel is very cool with the "windows". We were there in November and there was very little traffic so we could gawk all we wanted without any trouble....everyone was doing the same thing!

2  Thank 7WooHoos

Reviewed November 16, 2010

Mt. Carmel Highway is absolutely beautiful incredible. The scenery, the cliffs, the dropoffs are all unbelievable. Around every scarey curve is another photo opportunity, thank goodness for pulloffs. If you enter Zion through the south gate you must take the time to drive the highway.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

We drove from Death Valley to Monument valley in one day, a long slog but quite do-able in midwinter daylight. Rather than go the quickest way via the interstates we took the scenic route through Zion park. Even with low cloud and intermittant snow the views were awesome, especially the approaches to the Zion tunnel. Take is slowly through the park and enjoy the views and make up time elsewhere.

Reviewed May 29, 2009

While driving through the Zion tunnel is great, and the scenery astounding, as you exit, the trip to the shuttle, which you must use after May 1, or to Springdale, involves a drive along a winding, narrow, two-way road that borders the edge of a 3000-5000 foot sheer drop - with no guard rails. (They wouldn't do anything, but they would make one feel a bit better.) If you don't like heights, you will be terrified on this road. You have the alternative of returning by a roundabout route on regular roads if you vow never to get on this scenic drive again, as my husband did. Or, you can take the southen entrance to the park in the first place.

I'm surprised that the people who describe this road don't mention the narrowness and steepness of the road. It is far, far more scary than Route 1 in California, which peple do describe as an adventure, but which is just fine. This road is ten times as anxiety-producing. But, again, it's the scenery - amazing - and much different from that which you see on the shuttle.

35  Thank annette7777
Reviewed May 9, 2009

A photographers dream! So much to see and absorb. My heart was bursting with the delights, my camera was loaded to the limit, my partner was willing to hike to get to new angles and sights, no day is long enough, no moment is without adventure. Enjoy!

6  Thank Seniorhiker19