“Lower Pool Not Worth It”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Emerald Pools

Emerald Pools
Book In Advance
More Info
$629.99*
and up
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and...
More attraction details
Owner description: A one-mile hike will bring you to this area of pools and waterfalls.
Fort Worth, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Lower Pool Not Worth It”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hike to the Lower Emerald Pool was our most disappointing hike in Zion. The payoff was not nearly worth the effort, even as minimal as that effort may be. (We heard from another family that the Upper/Middle Pools were fantastic.)

We took the trail from the Zion Lodge, but returned on the Kayenta Trail. Really wish we had gone to Kolob instead.

P.S. If you go at a time when the water flow is high, and the waterfall is robust (rather than a trickle), it might be worth it.

1 Thank mikedscott

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“A must hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Paved trail winding up to lovely pond surrounded by walls. Waterfall supplies water to ponds. This trail is across from the Zion Lodge.

Visited September 2013
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I must be in the minority.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Maybe because I am a reward hiker this was not the hike for me. When I hike I want to be rewarded at the end. I wasn't expecting grandiose waterfalls, but the only "pool" (and I use that term loosely) that had anything resnling a trickle was the lower pool. I really didn't have a problem with that because I didn't expect much. However, there was nothing flowing from either the middle or upper pools and the "scrambling" required to get to the upper pools was challenging for me - an average hiker. The pools were more of muddy ponds than emerald pools we didn't even take our cameras out but it probably would have along the way at times if it had been morning or evening light. Just my .02.

Visited September 2013
Medford, New Jersey
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A good hike!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We started at the Grotto and hiked to all 3 pools. I would definitely hike to see them all because it is a nice hike that winds all around. It can be tough at times - it isn't paved, and there are some rocks you need to climb over, but it is probably my favorite hike overall that we did while in Zion. The waterfalls are pretty!

Los Angeles, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lower, Upper, Mid Pools”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Lower Pool is the only truly remarkable section of these hikes. But the others are well worth a peek if you just enjoy hiking.
The Lower Pool is an easy hike that include a waterfall over the top of the trail. Neat!