“Life changing hike/climb”

Book In Advance
More Info
$511.00*
and up
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las Vegas: Grand...
More attraction details
Owner description: Angel's Landing is one of Zion's most spectular scenic outlooks; it can be reached only by a very demanding hike on the West Rim Trail.
Reviewed October 6, 2006

I want to thank all the other Trip Advisor members for posting previous reviews. These helped us immensely with planning for this hike/climb including the photos. We hiked this trail on Oct. 2, 2006. We stayed at the Zion Lodge and walked the first 1/2 mile from the Lodge to the Grotto picnic area, crossed the river and began the walk. My advice is to do this hike first thing in the morning. Cooler and fewer people. We began at 8 a.m. Stop and catch your breath and take pictures. We hiked up the first series of switchbacks just fine and got through Refrigerator Canyon just fine. Cool echoes!! Then up Walters Wiggles. Go slow and steady. At Scouts Landing we had some water and gazed up. YIKES!! Near vertical views with chains in places!! We could see a few hikers ahead of us and they were so tiny in the distance. Onward!! There are 2 composting toilets on Scouts Landing. Funny. They were both sort of "recovering" after heavy summer use. We skipped them!! We slowly started up and climbed and scrambled in most places. This last part of the trail (.5 mile) is not a hike, it is rock climbing and scrambling. You must be in decent shape and have good upper body strength to pull yourself up and over the rocks!! We saw people on the trail who frankly had no business being there. It is a scary hike, but very inspiring and the views are incredible. Take your time and watch your footing. There were many places where almost natural steps in the rocks were there and handholds were in the rocks. If you have any fear of heights at all, skip this. At one point the trail flattens out a bit and you are saying to yourself, NO WAY. I am nuts to do this!! We kept going and were amazed at our accomplishment and the views. Have a snack, some water and rest. Going down was not as hard for some reason, but many people who started later on were coming up and we had to all adjust to who was going to grab the chains and scoot by each other. It was also getting sunnier and much warmer. We used the chains in every spot!!! This is a precarious climb, but so rewarding and exciting. The hike down was wonderful. Overall, if you are in good shape you will enjoy this. Save some energy for the return trip down. We have never done a hike/climb like this!! The people who put those chains there are amazing and the toilets at Scouts landing are unreal!! I have trekking poles and these really helped to save energy and stablize yourself. We both also have good hiking boots. No sneakers on this trail. Go, enjoy and be careful. We read that a woman from Las Vegas died on this trail in August. We can see how easy it was to lose your balance or slip. Go slow and be careful.

13  Thank JOGEEZER_123
Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"amazing views"
in 99 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2006

What an adrenaline rush!!
The views are truly amazaing and even though the hike to get there is pretty tough, it is well worth the effort.
Wonderful memories.

1  Thank DollyGill
Reviewed September 27, 2005

Thank the men who made that trail! As the previous reviewer said "Chains are Good!" We did Observation Point our first day and that was my first hike ever! We did Angel's landing the second day. I am in good shape, running & weight training and I did get a little winded on Angel's landing but if you stop and take a short break you'll be fine. After Angel's landing we did the Narrow's trail. Don't do these two back to back the same day. I went all the way up Angel's Landing climbing over rocks, using that chain to hang on. No time to be scared because you have to focus where your hands and feet are going. This is great. I had to do a strange, feet first crab crawl on my bottom to get down. I really felt mortal when I made it back down. Don't miss this hike.

7  Thank jeepinmudgirl
Reviewed September 26, 2005

I thought the view from Columbia Rock at Yosemite National Park was unbeatable----then I hiked the Angel's Landing trail last week. Columbia Rock made me feel a little dizzy. Angel's Landing made me earnestly wish I had wings (in case I fell). Do you like to skydive? BASE jump? Angel's Landing may be too tame for you. For a someone who's not an adreneline junkie, however, it's probably the biggest thrill you'll ever want to experience.

7  Thank booradley2
See more reviews
Reviewed August 16, 2005

I did hike not too long ago and it is a great hike. But, It can be pretty strenous though. I think the trail is even steeper than the Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon which wasn't that bad. But, I have done steeper hikes than this back east in the Appalachians. The trail first starts out along the Virgin River then starts switchbacking, which I think is the steepest part of the trail, but it all paved, which makes it easier. Then, it goes through Refrigerator Canyon which does feel like a refrigerator on hot days. Then, the trail goes through the "Walter's Wiggles", which is pretty steep but still paved. The first switchbacks were the hardest and were steeper than the second set of switchbacks (The Walter's Wiggles), but still the Walter's Wiggles are pretty steep and they are tighter switchbacks. Then, you come to Scouts Lookout, a good overlook and you can continue the last half mile to Angel's Landing, but this the scary part. I have a mild-moderate fear of heights, but decided to do it any way's and I didn't think it was bad at all, although I was keeping my hand on the chain in case I slipped which I almost did a couple of times. The last half of mile make use of your hands when you climb over rocks and other things. So, a little scrambling. But, the view at the end is very rewarding! It was incredible. The last half mile is the only unpaved part and requires some rock-scrambling, but is totally worth it because the views are much more panoramic than Scout's Lookout. Angel's Landing along with the Narrows were my favorites hikes at Zion. But, I really can't say which one is better because they are totally different and too hard to compare. But, definetly do Angel's Landing and the Narrows if you come to Zion. Angel's Landing is definetly worth it!

10  Thank asdaven