“Outstanding view but with a price to pay.”
Review of Angel's Landing

Angel's Landing
Book In Advance
More Info
$472.99*
and up
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las Vegas: Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: Angel's Landing is one of Zion's most spectular scenic outlooks; it can be reached only by a very demanding hike on the West Rim Trail.
Montreal, Canada
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Outstanding view but with a price to pay.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

There is nothing comparable to the Angel Landing view. It is simply out of this world and when you are up there, you understand the reason for it' name.

It is quite a trail and for some elderly, it could be exhausting. But the pay at the end is worth it.

Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Topanga, CA
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Strenuous but worth it!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I took Angels Landing hike over Thanksgiving weekend = in the winter time, and really enjoyed it. Yep...it's quite a climb in some sections. Especially the last part of it before you get to the club two is a little scary for my taste as I am slightly afraid of heights. :-) but then I noticed some seniors and children among the people holding on to the chains while climbing up there. Well that was all the visual I needed to be out of excuses, ha ha. After climbing up the last portion it was Exceller rating to be up there. The view was exciting and we even spotted and photographed a californian condor from above! We definitely want to do this hike one more time!

Visited November 2012
Frisco, CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very fun hike!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My 7 and 13 yo did this hike with me on 09/29/2013. Started very early; parked at the visitor center before 8:00am and were on the shuttle shortly thereafter; Only a handful of people were on the shuttle (8 total), all geared up and all looked like serious hikers. We got on the trail shortly after 8:00am. The weather was cool but perfect for hiking, a little windy. The hike is steep but not as difficult as stated (it is rated 'strenuous'). The beginning is fairly steep with a lot of switchbacks. We only passed 2 people who were on their way down. Then, you enter inside the canyon where the temperature gets a little cooler (it is the 'quiet' zone) before Walters Wiggles, a series of tight switchbacks leading to a flat area with bathrooms. All the hikers that were on the bus were all hiking close to us, some passed us and we all arrived at Scout's lookout. We took a break while everyone else started ascending. After a quick snack, we decided to start going to the top as well. We slowly started ascending, taking our time and taking in the amazing pretty view from all sides. Soon after, we passed the people who had ridden the bus with us. They all had changed their mind and were turning back too afraid to continue. We didn't find it very difficult so we continued. We arrived at the top where there were perhaps 8-10 people taking pictures and enjoying the view (earlier hikers that we met for the first time). We took a lot of pictures, look around, then decided to head down before the 'crowd' makes it to the narrow section. We could see that the trail at the bottom was becoming very busy. We passed perhaps 8-10 people that were making their way up and we are glad that few people were there at the time. It would not have been fun to take turns going up/down while others are waiting. Back at Scout's Landing, we had lunch and watched a lot of hikers coming to this area. Many didn't appear very prepared (lots of people in 'city' clothes). I don't know if they went to the top as we decided to head down as the area started to become very crowded. From Walters Wiggles, we crossed hordes of people coming up. It was a constant stream of people. By that time, it was around 11:00am already and the temperature was much warmer. Most of the hike up (all the way to the canyon) was in the sun and because of the heat, people coming were hiking much more slowly than we had and many were having a harder time.We made it back to the bridge by 11:30am.
My advice would be to do what we did: start early to avoid having to deal with the crowd in the more difficult section and hike while the temperatures are still comfortable. Wear the proper gear also. We saw lots of people in jeans, sandals, tennis shoes and doubt that they made it up comfortably.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Summit_Lodging
California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A view of the world!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

A view of the world, or at least Zion Canyon. Granted I hiked it in near perfect weather in March, but I think the difficulty factor is overrated. Yeah, it's a workout, but worse near the beginning where it's very steep. I had to laugh, I'd researched it a bit, but was still surprised when after a bit of a workout at the beginning, I hit this cold spot! Oh yeah, what was it, the freezer or refrigerator, yeah, that's it, Refrigerator Canyon. It was a big temp drop. I went from feeling the workout of the steep beginning to a bit chilly. When I went there was still some snow up there and a bit of scrambling, my habit of hiking holding the camera in my hand was a little inconvenient, but not unworkable. The chains were handy especially with snow there. But the views from the top? Wow, you have to go there. It was quite busy, but well worth it. Do be careful, while I wouldn't call it dangerous, it's not one for autopilot either. I found it took me about 45 minutes less than the suggested minimum, but I do well with hikes and altitude and was visiting in a low stress time of year.

If you are terrified of heights this is not the hike for you. You would have to do something dumb to fall, but you could and it wouldn't end well. I would not call it dangerous at all, it's just not a no brainer. You could get in trouble if you weren't paying attention.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank mg99
Richfield, Utah
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Adventure Awaits”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is one of those amazing adventures that once having completed you will want a t-shirt that brags "I hiked Angel's Landing." The first half of the hike is a series of switchbacks that get steeper as the hike goes on. There is temporary relief from the blazing sun in "refrigerator canyon" and then the switchbacks continue. I thought this was the most physically demanding part of the hike. We took quite a few water breaks. Once you reach the climax of this you will feel like you've made it to the top! But you haven't. There looms an ominous mountain yet to scale. Appropriately named "the fin" it is a steep, craggy, narrow mountain ledge that leads to the actual top of Angel's Landing. This is the most mentally demanding as you have to overcome any fear of heights and concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other. Truthfully, it looks way more intimidating than it actually is. However, if you do have a fear of heights this is where you most likely will want to turn around and head back. Should you want to proceed you will be clutching onto staked-in chains and pulling yourself slowly up the mountain. There is not room for 2-way traffic on some of these narrow ledges so you sometimes have to wait for one group to come down before your group goes up at various intervals. The view from the top is, how can I say it? All worth it! Here you are on a a ledge that is probably about as large as my house. You can look around in every direction and it is just an amazing view. You are so unbelievably high up that you can look down and see tiny eagles flying below. Breathtaking. My advice is to do this hike in the morning if you are going during the summer. It takes 3-4 hours and can get crowded. We started in the middle of the day and the sun was so intensely hot. Bring plenty of water--I recommend a camelback for each person because you will want the use of your hands. Wear light clothing. I was overdressed in jeans and some thin shorts would have made me much more comfortable. Absolutely not for kids and you best be in good physical condition. Bring snacks. You have to exert a lot of energy for this hike--mental concentration on the steep parts and of course, physical so nuts or fruit or a bagged lunch would be wise. Plus, you can sit on the top and snack away, as many people were doing, while enjoying the view and basking in the glow of your amazing accomplishment! Only thing that could have made this hike better for me was lighter clothing, like I said, but also less people! Can only imagine how awesome it would be to have the top to yourself!!!

Visited September 2013