“Would prefer to drive my car”
Review of Zion Shuttle

Zion Shuttle
More attraction details
Owner description: The mandatory shuttle leaves from the visitors center and travels six miles through the most popular canyon road, with seven stops in between.
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I know others seem to really like the shuttle, so I guess I'm an exception. I would prefer to drive my own car. We arrived at the park around 10:30 a.m. The shuttle bus was completely loaded, not even standing room available. So, we got on the next shuttle. We had a seat, but it quickly filled up with standing passengers. We wanted to get off at the last stop and work our way done. It seemed to take forever to get to our stop! Almost all of the busses throughout the day had passengers standing. The busses do run very frequently, which is good because we had more than one bus pull off as we were approaching it to board. We like taking photographs along the drive, which we were unable to do on the bus. Also, I get motion sickness, especially on curvy roads such as these. It does not affect me if I'm driving, but riding as a passenger causes nausea. In addition, we had to carry a backpack with lunch, snacks, water, etc., which we normally just have in the car. So, overall the shuttle detracted from our park experience.

8  Thank iradi8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed July 9, 2010

During three days using the Zion shuttle, we were impressed with how well Zion Park was managed overall, this included the shuttle buses. We used shuttle buses in other Parks and none could compare with Zion.

Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have visited the Zion National Park many times, but every time is always surprising and exciting. If you go there for the first time you must remember that without the shuttle bus you will not see the most beautiful area of the park. So, if you come from Springdale, just pay the entrance fee, park at the biggest parking lot on your right and then walk towards the bus station near the visitor center. Do not miss the wonderful scenery while you are in the bus. I usually take pictures also during the journey in the bus.
If you are planning to visit the Zion, just remember that using the shuttle bus you can reach the main starting point to the most beautiful viewpoint of the park. The best stops are: the Court of Patriarchs (not for walking but just for taking pictures of Abraham, Isaac and Jacobs), the Grotto (for the trail to the famous and strenous Angels Landing), the Weeping Rock (for the easy weeping rock trail, the moderate hidden canyon trail and the strenous Observation Point trail) and the Temple of Sinawava (for the easy and flat Riverside Walk and the strenous Narrows).

8  Thank sdsmax
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We, too, thought we would prefer the ride in our own vehicle, but as others stated, the shuttles make frequent stops. There is no traffic congestion and you never have to wait long for the next shuttle; however, you may have to wait for several shuttles before there is room to board. The best way around this is to visit the park earlier in the day.

If physically limited, the shuttle is not so great because you must get off and walk at least some distance to many of the "sights." If you are visiting just to view the scenery from the road, not into hiking or walking, the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway (Hwy 9) is an awesome scenic drive through part of the park with monoliths, switchbacks, tunnel and plenty of pull-outs for pictures.

LIKED: Frequent stops. Short wait for next shuttle. MOST of the drivers are knowledgeable and friendly.

DISLIKED:
Shuttle-driver, Gena. I advise waiting for the next shuttle! She was rude, impatient and inexcusably demanding.
On numerous rides, we could never hear the spiel from the speakers. As the shuttles fill up, the noise level increases and overrides the information being broadcasted. Again - visit EARLY!!

1  Thank berock
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Like others we were doubtful - liking the flexibility of driving our own car. The Zion shuttle converted us. This is the way to really see the park. Not only would 2000 cars, SUVs and RVs on that road be a nightmare, but the drivers were helpful and informative, you get to relax and enjoy the sights. You can hop off and on as you please and there will be another shuttle along within 5-10 min.
Great way to see the park which is awesome and should not be missed. Amoung Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef and the North Rim, Zion was our stand-out favorite.

1  Thank Lexie914