“great customer service”
Review of Kettle Falls Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Voyageurs National Park
Kettle Falls Hotel
Reviewed July 10, 2012

In June 2012 I completed my 27th trip to Kettle Falls. I started out in 1985 with 8 fellows( seven have since passed on). This is the place to fish and have fun in northern Minn. or southern Ontario. Fishing is always great and the villas offer a unique place to stay. They work very hard at making your trip a success.. This year my trolling motor would not run. Sean Rick and Larry all worked to get me going and have a good trip. They finally decidede to let me use one of their trolling motors. That meant we had to mount the motor on the front of my boat. Sean and Larry worked hard in the rain to ensure we had a good trip. I cant express in words my thanks for their great service. They could of just said 'sorry". This is a beauitful place set in God's country. The Hotel is friendly and great times are there to be cherished. God lord willing I'll have another 27 trips to Kettle Falls.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 20, 2011

This was my first trip to Kettle Falls and the hotel. I am a city girl and didnt really know what to expect but our friends who have been there before insisted we would love it. Last minute the babysitter fell through for the week so we had to bring our 5 year old. Was sure the week would be limited for me as I would have to entertain him but never would have guessed that this place was so friendly, even to a 5 year old! We explored the area while the fellas were out fishing and took lots of pictures! The people were so nice and accommodating from the minute we stepped onto the shuttle boat! We enjoyed the scenary and the tranquillity of the hotel and the surrounding area. We have decided we will make this an annual trip for sure! Can't wait to go back there!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank LottieWhite
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We had a rather unexpected day stay at Kettle Falls hotel. Early one morning we headed out from Pine Aire resort on Lake Kabetogama with our fishing guide, Don Granger for a days fishing trip across Namakan Lake then portage around Kettle Falls/dam over to Rainy Lake on the Canadian border. Just as we got close to Kettle Falls, Don's wife called to say it was storming and hailing back home and headed our way. Luckily the portage crew was able to load & haul our boat overland from Namakan to Rainy lake just before the storm fully hit. Kettle resort then loaded the 5 of us onto a couple of their golf carts and portaged us to Kettle hotel. Needless to say it was much preferred to sit on their covered screened-in side porch watching the wind and rain blow by vs riding the storm out in a boat on the lake.

The hotel is an old lodging house built around 1910 by a timber baron in a remote part of Voyageurs National Park. (Reputedly Madame Nellie Bly also had connections to the establishment). It is only accessible by boat or float plane, so has a very secluded and laidback atmosphere. The hotel had about a dozen quaint/antiquey rooms upstairs and a separate set of modern villas to rent for larger groups. For some reason the Kettle Hotel's layout reminded me of a wilderness backwoods mini-version of the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park or the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. The most interesting find was the Kettle's LumberJack Saloon with its famous sloping floor. The bartender told us the original corner posts had all sunk into the ground over the years. When it was restored into the Kettle Hotel, 3 sides were shored up level but they left the corner of the building where the bar was located sloping. You stand at one end of the pool table waist high but the other end is almost up to your shouldars. The bar also slants as do the booths and benches in the saloon. See their website for info on hotel's rooms, rates, etc.

The hotel has 3 stages of electric backup. A tree had fell on the main power lines, so the hotel went on auxillary power, which meant the kitchen and bar areas shut down. Only electric lights and refrigerators remained powered. After the storm blew by, we took a wooden boardwalk over a wooded marsh to the marina on Rainy Lake where our boat was docked. We still caught enough Walleye on Rainy Lake to head back to the Kettle Hotel by noon to have them cook our shore lunch for us. Unfortunately, since the storm crippled the electricity, their kitchen was still closed. So the Kettle kitchen crew fired up their Weber charcoal kettle grills and grilled our walleye, potatoes&onions and pork&beans. Luckily the cooler in the LumberJack saloon was fully functional, so we had some cold LaBatts and Nordeast beers while waiting for our shore lunch.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank OTR_Again_IM
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I have stayed at Kettle Falls several times. You have to take a boat ride to get there which always gets everyone in the vaction mood . Have had great luck with the fishing (see photo). The bar has an awesome atmosphere and the restuarant is really good too. (Make sure you have the wild rice soup).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mistresshc
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We had only one day to visit Voyaguers National Park, so we reserved a room at the Kettle Falls Hotel, the only in-park lodge. We were picked up (for a fee) at the Ash River Visitor's Center and taken 14 miles to the hotel, which is an old lodging house. The park is beautiful, but almost entirely accessible only by water. When we checked in, we asked about renting a canoe and were told that the lodge had only 2 canoes, both of which were already spoken for. The cook, who was the only fishing guide, was not available to take us fishing. We made the best of it by having a quiet day reading on the screened porch, as there was nothing else to do. There is a bar with television, but the rooms have no television or air conditioning. One positive note: the food at the restaurant is wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mountainhiker
Reviewed August 12, 2008

i enjoyed my stay there imensely,as the stormy waters were alittle treacherous to travel back over the border waters to the canadian resort called stokes bay resort,which was once owned by my dear friend,sid bruyere---new owner now is dan houle from ely,mn.kettle falls hotel holds alot of adventure and history nestled among the kettle falls dam.it feels like a place somewhere in time.truly a relaxing place to reminisice and explore the many areas of curosity it has to offer.i especially like the boardwalk over the marsh to the marina,how often does one find a boardwalk in the woods.the hospitality was truly excellent and as well as the food.this place will always remain in my heart,and just maybe i will be staying there soon.

Stayed: July 2003
4  Thank mybuddy70
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Kettle Falls for 4 days on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. We went fishing, kayaking, and hiking. Every meal at the restaurant was amazing and we enjoyed the bar and veranda very much. Would recommend it to everyone!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Super 8 Fort Frances
#1 of 4 in Fort Frances
Copper River Inn & Conference Centre
AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Interna...
#3 of 8 in International Falls

Been to Kettle Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!