“Horse Trail Ride - Great Fun and Great Views”
Review of Peaceful Valley

Peaceful Valley
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1885, this valley was once the site of a booming horse ranch; now, it's a place for reflection and the observation of nature as a scenic looking point in Teddy Roosevelt National Park.
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had a wonderful horseback trail ride out of Peaceful Valley. Our youthful and knowledgeable guides Lisa and Laney took us through beautiful grasslands and badlands, past prairie dog towns, over ridges and through the Little Missouri river valley. The operators Neil and Laura Tangen are safety conscious while still providing interesting and affordable rides for their guests. We don't have photos from the trail, as cameras weren't allowed on the ride for safety reasons. I'll remember this ride as the highlight of my trip to North Dakota.

1  Thank Susan B

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The ride is fantastic - no autobot horses plodding along with no input from you. Plus the scenery is perfect. We even rode right by a buffalo.
However, the staff made this ride possible for me and my son. His fear overcame his desire to go on this ride with me and he started to cry, thinking he couldn't control his horse. The head wrangler immediately put him at ease, respectfully. My son has special needs, and all the wranglers were amazing throughout the entire ride. While the ride itself was a great memory, the best part for me was watching my son become confident and happy in the face of overwhelming anxiety. We could not have done it without the support of the staff who stepped up perfectly.
Truly an experience we will never forget!

3  Thank Shannon A
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My sister Kathy and I had a truly wonderful time this summer on our trail ride at Peaceful Valley. First, the horses all seem and seem well-cared for. My horse was one of the older ones and she was very, very sweet. The staff asks about your level of experience (and weight - don't take it personally!) to assist in matching horses with riders. Second, our lead guide (whose name escapes me), one of the owners, was superb. She was so personable and informative, I think largely because she's a teacher when she's not running the ranch or raising her family. She engaged each guest individually, asking their name, where they were from, talking about the horses, and sharing information about the park. Third, you get such a great appreciation for the park from horseback. Truly a beautiful way to see the park. The valley itself is lovely to begin with, and what you don't see from the car are all the views from the tops of the twisting, interesting ridges with that the horses traverse. We had a wonderful time - I can highly recommend this activity at Theodore Roosevelt. P.S. Wear the hard hat (just in case), remember to wear something other than flip-flops, wear long pants in a dark horse-colored fabric (no white or khaki - you'll thank me later), and remember to tip your guide. :^)

1  Thank Betsy H
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a must. The best way to view the badlands. I am a some what experienced horse back rider and was skeptical as I figured this was a little trail ride around the woods. Wow! was I wrong. This was awesome and the best experience I have ever had and I have rode in many different destinations. We viewed wild horses, buffalo along the top of the badlands to the lower lands to prairie dogs, walked along thin trails high in the badlands. Recommended is helmets which I believe is a good idea. The guides first bring the group in the corral with a short ten minute lesson in controlling the horses, turning and instructions on safety before departing. This is a one and one half hour ride-excellent!

1  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great operation. We are experienced horsemen but decided to not haul our horses this time and do the guided tour. Horses are very well taken care of and behaved. Guides were very fun! Saw wild horses lots of prairie dogs and Bison. Highly recommend!