Big Meadows Lodge(Shenandoah National Park)
$153
$125
  • Restaurant
$75
$68
The Mimslyn Inn(Luray)(Great Value!)
$125
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $147/night.

$195
$80
$85
$50
Agoda.com
  • Free Internet
$80
2,424 results
All reviewsdining roomskyline drivehorseback ridingstony manshenandoah valleypremium roomgift shopceiling fanhiking trailstraditional roombeautiful viewcoffee makerdining hallget awaylive musicblackberry ice creambig meadows
Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

We'd reserved and paid for a 'preferred' room. Arrived after dark and started to unpack then quickly realised that we were in a pretty basic room. Had to pack up and trail all the way back to the office to get moved to the correct room. No apologies were offered and then the same thing happened at big meadows! Renovated rooms are really nice but the others seem very basic and overpriced

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Nick S, General Manager at Skyland, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2017

Hello

We apologize that you were not provided a preferred room and that our desk staff offered no apologies
We hope that you will return so we can meet/ exceed your expectations

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in a renovated room in the "Bushytop" cabins which are about a 10-minute walk from the office and dining room. Really loved the view from the terrace.
Water in the sink was blocked on our arrival but was fixed the next day. Room could be cleaner in my opinion but of course you cannot compare with city hotels. Wifi was not available in the cabin but there was wifi at the office and the dining room with acceptable speed.
Great place for an outdoor experience.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Nick S, General Manager at Skyland, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2017

Hello RW

Thank you for your comments and we hope that you will visit us again soon

Reviewed August 14, 2017

The park is wonderful and Skyland integrates very well with the surroundings. The hotel is rustic so don't expect standard luxury. But there is a high level of cleanliness and comfort. Bed was great, and the bathroom while not luxurious had a great shower. I liked the bath products so much I inquired where they came from. The room was very spacious and had a balcony to afford some private outdoor space. This was exactly the kind of property I have come to expect within the parks. A great visit.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Nick S, General Manager at Skyland, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2017

Hello Ida

Thank you for your comments and the great rating that you provided us . Please visit us again soon

Reviewed August 13, 2017

I entered skyline drive from the nearest entry point north of the resort and made my way up to the top, watching the outside temp fall and realizing I had forgotten a jacket or pull over, the temps were easily 10-15 degrees cooler than the valley and when the sun went to the other side of the ridge, even cooler. Arrived to the Skyland Resort about 5pm with many others coming and going. Entered the office and got behind a line of 5 people waiting for check in. No worries, the 2 attendants on duty processed the line quickly and if you listen to the routine of questions you can speed up the process (hint have your ID and credit card out, know your car make, model color, want a trail map just ask). Less than 10 minutes later on the way to my cabin with keys in hand. The resort very much reminded me of the Grand Canyon North national park resort, though albeit with less dramatic views from the main lodge. Same type of cabin appearance.

Entering my cabin I noted the similar setup with the bedrooms on either side of a center bathroom. It was clean and the windows open to allow that cool breeze in. I noted a small desk fan (wish I had that at the Grand Canyon!), a coffee pot, an in wall heater that worked. Phone data service for Verizon worked surprisingly well. On the bedside table was a small power "cubie" which had built in USB ports to charge your electronics (very nice). Later that night I found out the bed had a down cover that kept me extremely warm even with the cool air coming in the windows, perfect! Only possible negatives: there was no wifi service at the cabins and the septic system did allow you to share in the flush from other cabins, not overly loud but you did know when a toilet was flushed from the swoosh in the pipes. No biggie, we're in the wilderness and lucky not to have to hike out to a communal building.

I did a quick exploratory hike for the evening out the north side of the resort. Went about 30 minutes and decided to turn back when I came across a tree with obvious, large bear claw marks and deciding with nightfall coming and my first experience in "the backcountry" I had experienced enough for tonight. Bigger adventures awaited in morning.

After cleaning up in the room, I took the path up from the cabins to the dining/office area. Very steep in the middle, allow for about 7-8 minutes going up and 2-3 coming down. At night you may find solace in a flashlight, the path is lit but there are large, dark areas. If headed to the Dining Room/Taproom, from the path, use the large green doors at the base of the building and avoid the walk up and around to the front. Save your steps for the hiking trails. The dining room wait was never too long, the view from their is amazing in the evening with the sun setting. The menu for the dining room and taproom share some similarities but it appeared the food in the taproom was more appetizers, sandwich and burgers, whereas the dining room had a larger selection of bigger dinners. The appetizers are also slightly different between the 2 menus but seeing as they came from the same kitchen I can't imagine you couldn't get something from the other menu but I did not try. The bowl she crab soup was huge and full of crab meat and veggies (perhaps minced carrots in place of the crab roe). Very nice version with a strong sherry cream taste. A basket of rolls, light, airy and huge arrived with a dollop of creamed butter. At this point I'm in heaven. Dinner was the Pot Roast which I found enjoyable but wishing I had pushed myself to get the trout or something more grand. There was no room for dessert.

After dinner, I tried to get the wifi service that was reportedly available in the building but had no success. I did see others using their laptops and phones, there is a charging, work type table for several people to sit outside the taproom. The live music in the tap room filtered out through out the rest of the building so you could sit in a comfy chair and listen rather than be at a bar stool or table. There were 2 TV's with sports on at the bar. The gift shop had about everything you might need in a pinch but the selection of sweatshirts for men was a lacking compared to the colors and variety for women. Maybe they know what customers usually buy but remember U forgot a jacket or pullover so was in the market. I decided i could tough it out.

Night in the little cabin village was not bad, the occasional incessant dog bark or child screaming did occur but thankfully all calmed down after 10p.

The next morning I was out the door at 0645, clearly one of the few to have gotten up but found the trails to be isolated, no one else was out. I hiked the Stony Man summit using both the AT and the Stony Man trail. Never saw anyone and arrived to the rocky overlook within 30 minutes, with spectacular views all to myself and a cool refreshing breeze, I stayed put for awhile. Then back down the circuit trail and out on to the AT for the hike to Little Stony Man. again, no one on the trails except for a pair of tents camping beside the trail. Found my way back to my room about 0930 for a shower and prep for breakfast at the dining hall. My fit bit said 4.7 miles, 77 floors, and 10,000 steps in the last 3 hours.

Breakfast in the dining hall included a buffet or something from the menu. The buffet included meats (bacon or sausage), grits or oatmeal, sausage gravy with homemade biscuits, a potato casserole, pancakes, and an omelet station. For 14.99 it also included 2 drinks (coffee, tea and 3 types of juice). I found it to be a good bargain and very tasty.

My stay ended at 10:30 (you have till 11 and it did not appear to be an issue when people had requested a noon checkout during check in). Check out was super fast. There is an incidental charge that is temporarily applied to your credit card at check in just in case. As of this writing 3 days later I am waiting for it to disappear which I expect will occur, it's the weekend and the other charges which were real have already been moved into the actual side.

I found the skyland resort to be a great base camp for your trail adventures and look forward to coming back with the rest of my family.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Nick S, General Manager at Skyland, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Hello

Thank you for your comments and the great rating that you provided us . Please visit again soon

Reviewed August 10, 2017

We stayed in one of the renovated rooms and it was a nice mix of new (modern bathroom) and old (attractive wood on some of the walls). Very clean. It was very foggy -- I think we were in the middle of a cloud -- and the cool weather was nice but the views were fairly limited in the area of Skyland. The drive to Skyland along Skyline drive takes you by some nice overlooks where we stopped and took photos.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Nick S, General Manager at Skyland, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2017

Hello

Thank you for your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your visit with us