“Perfect escape from the beach, a mountain climbing experience!”

Old Rag Mountain Hike
Reviewed October 6, 2012

As I look at the reviews, I realize that people do not consider this a "beginner" hike. It's actually not that hard, you just need to be in some sort of shape and can walk at least 9 miles. The rock scramble was the hardest part and that was only because we wore slippery running shoes. I'm not a mountain climber and I rarely hike because I live on a giant sandbar (no real hikes here!). This is one adventure I cannot believe I did not know about until my friends in Richmond called me up. Amazing views, perfect to pack a lunch for & just all around fun in general. Do it if you know about it!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"blue blazes"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hike is not for the beginner. Make sure you have good knees and can handle a little cardio activity. Mostly well groomed trails, a little bit of rock scrambling, and a chance to do some bouldering at the top. The views at the summit are breathtaking!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you are seeking a premier hike on the east coast then this is your challenge. The length is just short of 9 miles and is a test of strength and stamina. With an elevation gain in excess of 2k feet it will be a climb, but well worth the effort. The rock scramble to the summit is a test but the views are awesome. Bring sufficient water.

1  Thank bobcats2018
Reviewed September 9, 2012

As avid hikers, the beginning of the hike was a little slow, but as we increased our elevation quickly and hit the first boulders, our outlook changed. We got hit with quite a bit of rain, so the rocks were a little slippery, but that just meant we take our time. The bouldering portion of the hike was incredible. We've bouldered before, but nothing like this. It lasted for quite some time (I think we were above treeline for about 1.5-2 hours) and it just kept going! We had fog the entire time so we couldn't see the views when we reached the summit, but others we met said you can usually see for miles. I definitely recommend this hike to anyone visiting by and around the Appalachian Trail. It's a great hike!