“This trail rocks...seriously”

Old Rag Mountain Hike
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and two teenage kids did this hike with me. We took our time and made it up and down. It is 8.8 miles to do the loop. It is up all the way to the summit and down all the way on the return loop. The scenery is the best in the region. The rock scramble is fun. Challenging for my shorter legged wife, but she is in good shape, so she had a great time. bring plenty of water on warmer days...you will need several bottles. A lunch or snack is also a must. The trail will get busy...but as the others have said - this is strenuous. We will be doing this again.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were warned to be in shape, and that the hike was strenuous. We are in our early 50's and armed with naiveté and a tad big of ego we embarked upon the hike confident in our abilities. Short story is that it is indeed very strenuous, and the "rock scramble" was nothing like what I have done before but so well worth it. Words cannot describe the experience. Best advice is bring lots of water, and take lots of rests as needed along the way. Enjoy!

3  Thank anne w
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Although if there are differing opinions I'd like to hear them.

The worst part is the very beginning and the very end. Used to be, they had a small parking lot right at the trailhead. But now you have to park way down below and walk up the ROAD, which adds quite a distance to the hike -- and is pretty miserable when you're coming back and just want to be done. I didn't check to see if they let you drop some of your party off at the trailhead -- or maybe ride a bike up to the trailhead.

Then it's plain ol' hiking through the forest for a couple miles. But when you get to the rock scrambling parts, it is fun, exciting and beautiful. It can get crowded on weekends, and thus congested at narrows passages. Best to go on a weekday if at all possible. It's worth taking a nice, cool day off.

This is a several-mile hike. You need to be in decent shape and have good shoes or boots -- and bring food and water (do I really need to say that?).

Although they recommend you making a loop and coming down via the fire road, it is long and boring that way (except for the time we saw a bear). Better just to go back down the same way you went up. Just make sure you're really at the top before you turn around. A couple times, you'll think, "Wow, this is so cool. We're at the top and it's beautiful." Then you look over and say, "Geez, I think that's the top over there."

3  Thank cxphoya
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is a VERY STRENUOUS hike so one has to be up to it - - being in REALLY good shape helps a lot - - but, if you are - - this hike is beyond special. The panoramic views are spectacular - - the best in the Shenandoah mountain range - - and the various rock formations are unbelievable. Quite literally, they defy the laws of physics. It's also extremely important that you have a group of companions for this hike so that you can help each other out, particularly, when it comes to the rock scrambles which were significantly more difficult than I had anticipated.

Again, if you're up to it, go ahead and you'll have a spectacular time. It's clearly worth the effort you will need to make.

2  Thank evelyn_abravanel
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I did this hike a long time ago but I remember it well. The views are fantastic. It's a great workout and close to Washington.