“Tent cabin is just a bit more convenient than a tent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lewis Mountain Cabins

Lewis Mountain Cabins
Virginia
“Tent cabin is just a bit more convenient than a tent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I could only find one review on the tent cabin from a few years ago but the description was right-on. Wooden structure on cement floor - two steel bunk beds with mattresses on the inside along with two old wooden chairs and a pot-bellied stove. A cold water spigot, critter proof trash can, bear-box, picnic table and fire pit all outside. There are cold/warm water showers with toilets and sinks available (shower is $1 for five minutes) at the camp store as well as a separate building toilets and sinks in the middle of the campground. We only bought ice and a postcard at the campstore and prices are just a bit higher than outside. Wood was $5 for a small bundle but it was perfectly seasoned and smelled so good. Deer came around in the evening and especially at dawn. Folks checking into the campground after 9pm on Friday night had no campground etiquette with car lights on and loud talking but it didn't seem to scare the large critter I heard snuffling in the woods behind our cabin (never saw it though). Bugs were around early morning to early evening - no biting, just irritating flies and gnats. Attempted the Bearfence Rock Scramble which to me is climbing rocks and quite difficult-perhaps I'll try again in the fall after I pump up a bit. The host, campstore staff and rangers all very friendly but why wouldn't they be when they're surrounded by such beauty. Will probably get a cabin next time just to avoid the bugs and have a private toilet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank Needsumnow

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I rented a cabin at Lewis Cabins in Shenandoah National Park. It is about 2.5 hours from downtown DC. When we got to the park we were greeted by park rangers at the southeast gate entrance. They were friendly and helpful. It was a $15 fee to have a car for up to one week. We drove for a a couple miles up Skyline Drive and made a right towards the Lewis Cabins Campsite. It was an easy check in, and before we knew it we were starting our fire in our own fire pit. Each cabin has it's own outdoor covered patio, bear-proof food cabinet, and table and chairs. you just need to bring/buy firewood charcoal, matches, and cooking utensils (pots, pans, spatula, tongs, aluminum foil, etc).

The cabin was not as rustic as I imagined, but still very charming. There is a small private bath with a stand up shower room, a fairly big closet, and a dresser drawer. The cabin is also heated for cooler fall stays.

In case you do forget something, there is a small souvenir store with some packaged food, snacks, drinks and a few staples.

There are a ton of trails to hike and views to see. We did the waterfall trail about 5 miles north from Lewis Cabins. We then had lunch at the the Skyland Resort.

We only stayed one night, but wished we could have stayed for at least one more. It was so relaxing, quiet, private, and romantic. Since we live in DC, it is very rare to hear crickets and see stars. It was a very enjoyable short trip. We would definitely like to come back, perhaps with a bigger group of friends and enjoy the fire pit together, but we can retreat back to our own private cabins.

4 Thank kristineiscool
Nijmegen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We booked this cabin in the day of arrival - got the last one, only because it was mid-week and not school holidays. Cabin was clean and picturesque. Bring your own food if you want anything fancy, but we were able to grab some hotdogs and firewood on arrival. Deer strolling round at dinner time. Really peaceful setting. Our favourite place on our US holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank minniemouseNijmegen
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Park is one of the most beautiful I have been too, great views along Skyline drive. Cabin surroundings nice, great wildlife viewing. Deer really friendly, closest I have ever been. Cabin very clean, supprisingly ,since after dark it becomes a mouse playground. I was awakened by not one, but several mice climbing in and out of our bags, up walls, and even across my husbands feet in the bathroom. I didn't sleep all night, even with the light on ,the mice persisted...Obviously not bothered by humans. I suggest if you do stay here, keep your food in the car, which we did, neighbors say their bread was eaten. Store employees say they have never had complaints of mice, but neighbors on both sides confirm mouse encounters. The infestation is unfortunate, otherwise no compalints.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank louisianamo
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Ok- overall I really liked the cabin. It was clean- unlike the last review I read- I actually found the cabin to be cleaner than expected. The bathroom was nice- shower was clean, floors, bed, sheets, dresser, outside area- was all clean. It was located in a great spot. Has a nice fire pit. Cabins aren't too close together.

My only problem- and it's kind of a big one- I heard rats/mice in the walls all night. I kept waking up and looking for them and I am 99% sure they were only in the walls and not roaming around the room. But honestly- the cabins are in the middle of the woods- I don't know how there wouldn't be critters. PLUS- it had been raining for 14 days in a row- I'm sure that drove them indoors as well. I would stay here again- but not during the raining season.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aarmstr
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

The cabins are rustic with outdated decore and bedding. However, the moutains and the trees surrounding the cabin more than make up for (or add to) the rustic experience. the cabins have bathrooms and large living space. Only table is outside near the fire pit. If it's raining you'll get wet just to eat at a table.

I love cabins, but this one fell short. It could have been much cleaner. There were visible, multiple mouse droppings along one wall behind the metal bed frame. It was infested like the another reviewer mentioned, but they should have cleaned the room.

Also, upon check-in they charged an additional $10 fee b/c the rates just changed (without notice). For $107/night, we could have stayed in a clean hotel room--but not in the mountains.

I'd be embarrased to recommend staying here, b/c it just wasn't very clean.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Foodwise
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

In July I took the Inn-to-Inn hike starting at Skyland, then to Big Meadows, to Lewis Mountain Cabins, then turned around and went back to Big Meadows and finished at Skyland. Of the three facilities, I enjoyed my evening spent here the most. The cabin was clean and very comfortable. Previous reviewers have complained about rodents, but I neither saw nor heard any evidence of infestation. The only critters about were deer and a few insects. The two staff persons I met were very friendly and helpful. They operate a small store that has just about everything you need for your stay. The store closes at 6:00 PM and from then til nine the next morning you are on your own. You prepare your own meal in the grill provided and eat outdoors. I spent the evening reading, watching deer, and just enjoying the solitude. Slept very well. Evening was cool for July and did not miss a/c at all. Just an all around great experience!!

• Liked — The staff and the solitude
  • Disliked — Nice if the store opened earlier in the morning
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 1,825 reviews

Been to Lewis Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!