“Eat somewhere else!”
Review of Skyland

Skyland
More attraction details
Owner description: Highest altitude in the park.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My 3 friends and I stopped at Skyland Dining Room for lunch on a girls weekend away.
The young male waiter we had was pretty clueless when it came to simple questions like "what white wine do you have", replied "the light colored one". Requested wine list and my friend ordered from that!
Meals, the most disgusting food I have had in the 2 years I have been living in the US! 3 of us ordered burgers and one just wanted the crab dip. The dip was more like a cold bowl of soup, very runny.
The burgers we very undercooked. I ordered medium to well and it was a cold, red mess. All the food was cold. We had to send the whole lot back to the kitchen and requested it be removed from our bill. Eating raw meat causes food poisoning, not how any of us wanted to spend the rest of our weekend. We did have soup as a starter and although more luke warm than hot, it was at least edible. We were not the only ones who sent our meals back.
If you drive about 10 mins further south you can get a nice hot meal, cooked properly and much cheaper!
One of my friends had eaten here about 12 - 18 months ago and said how great it was. She is very disappointed with it now. I believe it is under new management and they are killing the place and making people sick!

There are newer reviews for Skyland

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The server at the restaurant managed to get something wrong on everyone's meal and put the wrong desserts on the check so no points there, food was not cheap but was average only

1  Thank Jenniepearson
Reviewed September 22, 2013

At Skyland, you can ride horses on a guided trail ride. What a way to experience the mountains by horseback! If you love to ride horses, this a must do.

3  Thank wahoohick
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have wanted to complete this drive for 20 years. We started it way back but the weather was so bad we turned back. Now we have travelled from New Zealand to complete it and it was worth it. Plus we saw a mother bear with two cubs. Highlight of the Day.

3  Thank Bob52
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had not thought I would need AC at 3,680 feet in September. However, my room faced west, and had no shade. On an overcast day it was OK, but when the sun came out it was uninhabitable in the afternoon and early evening. There was only one small, high window on the cool side of the building and no screen on the door (even with screens I got bitten one night). Do NOT stay here unless you get a "preferred room" with AC. Don't worry about whether you have a view, I stayed for three days and it was too hazy to enjoy a view the whole time.

I went up after Labor Day and before leaf season in the hope of getting some peace and relaxation. I was not happy, when sitting out on the parking lot side to avoid the heat inside to see a very large tour bus draw up in front of the next building - and stay there WITH ITS ENGINE RUNNING. There were two big groups staying that night. Before you plan to stay, check that there will be no group.

I was very disappointed with the food provided by the new concessionaire, which was also very overpriced. I also stayed at Peaks of Otter on this trip, with the same new concessionaire, so the horrible food is a problem with the concessionaire, not just this location. I did get one good spinach salad in the Tap Room, with added chicken, but when I ordered the same dish the next night it came with just a few scraps of chicken (I guess they gave it all to the tour group). Be aware that if you eat in the Tap Room too late you are likley to be deafened by the entertainment.

I am giving two stars because of the location, and the staff. Besides the lack of AC and the overpriced, poorly prepared food, the rooms are desperately in need of renovation - new carpets and furniture at the bare minimum.

I will not stay here again unless I hear that the food has improved (a lot!!!) and I get a preferred room.