“Average”
Review of Skyland

Skyland
More attraction details
Owner description: Highest altitude in the park.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Average”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The server at the restaurant managed to get something wrong on everyone's meal and put the wrong desserts on the check so no points there, food was not cheap but was average only

1 Thank Jenniepearson

Newport News
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Ride a trail”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

At Skyland, you can ride horses on a guided trail ride. What a way to experience the mountains by horseback! If you love to ride horses, this a must do.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank wahoohick
Wellington NZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Saw the bears.”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have wanted to complete this drive for 20 years. We started it way back but the weather was so bad we turned back. Now we have travelled from New Zealand to complete it and it was worth it. Plus we saw a mother bear with two cubs. Highlight of the Day.

3 Thank Bob52
Cary, NC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Fiery furnace, poor food, tour groups”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had not thought I would need AC at 3,680 feet in September. However, my room faced west, and had no shade. On an overcast day it was OK, but when the sun came out it was uninhabitable in the afternoon and early evening. There was only one small, high window on the cool side of the building and no screen on the door (even with screens I got bitten one night). Do NOT stay here unless you get a "preferred room" with AC. Don't worry about whether you have a view, I stayed for three days and it was too hazy to enjoy a view the whole time.

I went up after Labor Day and before leaf season in the hope of getting some peace and relaxation. I was not happy, when sitting out on the parking lot side to avoid the heat inside to see a very large tour bus draw up in front of the next building - and stay there WITH ITS ENGINE RUNNING. There were two big groups staying that night. Before you plan to stay, check that there will be no group.

I was very disappointed with the food provided by the new concessionaire, which was also very overpriced. I also stayed at Peaks of Otter on this trip, with the same new concessionaire, so the horrible food is a problem with the concessionaire, not just this location. I did get one good spinach salad in the Tap Room, with added chicken, but when I ordered the same dish the next night it came with just a few scraps of chicken (I guess they gave it all to the tour group). Be aware that if you eat in the Tap Room too late you are likley to be deafened by the entertainment.

I am giving two stars because of the location, and the staff. Besides the lack of AC and the overpriced, poorly prepared food, the rooms are desperately in need of renovation - new carpets and furniture at the bare minimum.

I will not stay here again unless I hear that the food has improved (a lot!!!) and I get a preferred room.

Garden City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Looks like a resort”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Much larger than Big Meadows Lodge: rooms, restaurant and view and Taproom but as charming. Dinner menu was excellent.

Visited August 2013