All reviews ping pong bunk beds arts and crafts mountain biking buffet style hot tub bag lunch beautiful lake year after year rock climbing fun activities salad bar new forest wine and cheese three meals a day tie dye group activities
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Sad to say, M-S is changing and, in my opinion, not for the better. The KILT program has been changed from 3 weeks to 2 (and the price went up) so several, if not many, old KILTS won't be returning. Also, the staff has undergone many changes. There won't be so many familiar faces next summer in the counselor department. Whether the camp so many of us have come to know and love survives as we have known it remains to be seen.

There have been positive changes. There has been an enormous improvement in the facility itself, no question about it (its reflected in the increased prices for next summer.) But, again, just my opinion, nobody went back to camp year after year for the accomodations. The experienced, dedicated counselors and staff created a uniquely special environment, which the new counselors came to know and share each summer. Without a core group of experienced workers who loved camp as much as the families who went there year after year, I just don't see how Montecito Sequoia will be the same.

Date of stay: August 2008
2  Thank DedicatedCamper
_JBD_2008, Owner at Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2008

1. Many experienced counselors will be returning for next year's family camp.

2. The price for family camp for a family of four will be around $1,000 per person in 2009, about the same as in 2004, five years ago. Compared with other family camps we offer a more comprehensive program at a much lower cost.

3. Yes, we did increase the rate for the KILT program, however, comparable programs at other camps charge from double to triple the rate we are charging.

Reviewed October 29, 2008

The wife and I enjoyed our two nights here on an unusually warm December. We took advantage of the low off-season weekday rates, which put us in a room for $69.

The room was basic, but clean and comfortable. No worse than an older Super 8. The rooms don't have TVs, but that was fine as we enjoyed spending the evenings by the fireplace in the lodge.

The food is "buffet" in that you help yourself from a steam table. And the food was very good. The wife was very happy with the food, and she's a picky eater. The tables are big, so you may end up sitting with other folk. Once our shyness was gone, we enjoyed this as well.

There were no activities going on, but that was okay as we spent the day sightseeing in the two national parks. They even packed sack lunches for us as we weren't going to be at the lodge for lunch.

I look forward

Date of stay: December 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank PTerrell
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We booked Montecito as part of a two week road trip and it was the only place where we stayed for 2 nights. We were led to expect and all-inclusive resort that included many activities. What we got was a dirty, run down place with no activities on offer for guests who weren't part of a school trip and school dinners for meals.

Their website needs a major overhaul to accurately describe what guests should expect and we weren't the only ones who got a big shock on arrival. Our room was realy filthy and I'm sure the sheets weren't clean. There was no guest information in the rooms and when I asked at reception what was on offer all I was told was that we could take a canoe out on the lake (it's a pond) if we wanted. There are NO facilities in the rooms, so once dinner is over at 7pm, there's a very long quiet evening ahead.

My boyfriend said it reminded him of a kibbutz he stayed on and it reminded me of living in a co-op but without the work! This is a kids camp, not a hotel or resort. Expect very basic (and unclean) accommodation and school dinners and you won't be shocked, but for the price and what the website said, we were very shocked.

Date of stay: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank css201
Reviewed October 8, 2008

The Lodge is rustic and no-nonsense, yes, but I found it to be clean, inviting and very comfortable. The staff was incredibly pleasant and extremely helpful when I had any questions and/or requests. The food was yummy, and there was plenty of it. The grounds were in need of a bit of up-keep, but it didn't stop me from enjoying myself. I liked the idea of the heated pool and Jacuzzi. It was great to view the stars while I was soaking in the hot tub. And, the bonfires at night were a great touch. I could see why couples would not want to visit during the summer when family camp is in full swing, but staying there during the off season is a no-brainer!

I cannot imagine why anyone would complain about this establishment. If you are looking for a five star resort, this, of course, is not the place for you. Me, I would definitely stay again, in fact, I want to go back during the winter months.

Date of stay: October 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank PotteryChick
Reviewed October 2, 2008

This family camp is in a beautiful setting. It is very family friendly. It is not a five star resort, rather two to three star, yet the ammenities are excellent. The food is EXCELLENT, the activities are great, the setting is beautiful and the staff is friendly. I don't know why people write bad reviews of this place, we really enjoyed our experience.

Date of stay: September 2008