Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Silver City Mountain Resort(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
  • Restaurant
$110
$110
$155
$135
John Muir Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
  • Free Internet
Cedar Grove Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
TripAdvisor
Stony Creek Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsping pongbunk bedsbuffet stylemountain bikinghot tubbag lunchbeautiful lakesalad bargreat place for familiesyear after yearwine and cheeseall meals includedgroup activitieseach mealcross country skiingtheir livesboard games
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for couple of days at the end of September 2011. We were delighted with the service we received and with its convenient location. This lodge is located in Sequoia National Forest, between Grant Grove/Kings Canyon National Park and Giant Forest/Sequoia National Park. Our stay happened to be on a weekday so the place was not as crowded as it gets on the weekends. What we enjoyed most was the room came with meals. They have a full kitchen and they prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for all of the guests. Even on the day we wanted to go hiking, they prepared a sack lunch for us. All you do is ask for it at the front desk the night before and it will be ready after breakfast the following day. This place provides a lot of activities for families with kids and for adults too. We had the opportunity to take archery lessons in the morning and shooting lessons in the afternoon. Don't worry the instructors are all very well trained and the shooting was at target cards not wildlife although hunting is permitted in the national forest. We had lots of fun!. This place also has activities in the lake during the summer but we did not have the time to do that. There is also a swimming pool. This place is somewhat rustic and has no maid service. However, location was great and so convenient. Not having to drive for thirty minutes in either directions to find a place to eat, is a plus! Because the building is made of wood if a child is crying you will hear the sounds even if it is on the other side of the hall. The manager is pretty good about telling people to keep the noise down to a minimum, they even have posted signs in the hallway. There are also cabins but they did not have private bathrooms so we chose not to stay there. I recommend this place and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. Be prepared to carry your own suitcases up the stairs and down the stairs because there are two sets of stairs inside the main lodge.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mibaba4
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed at the Montecito Lake Resort (formerly Montecito Sequoia Lodge) for four nights in mid-October and I had a great experience. This is unlike any place I've stayed before in that the price of a room includes three meals a day. And, if you plan to be away during the afternoon as I did, you can request to have a lunch packed and ready to go in the morning. The in-house meals are served buffet style and they were quite good. I was traveling alone, so the common dining area allowed me to talk with, and get to know, some other guests at the resort.

The overall feel of the place is certainly not fancy or luxurious by any means. This is the only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating (I thought that would be misleading). If I was just comparing it to other park lodges it would definitely get a rating of 5 from me. My room was in the main lodge, it was very clean and bright. I don't know if all the rooms are the same, but mine did not have a television. I was a bit alarmed by this at first, but I quickly adapted to reading and going out to the back deck and looking at the stars and surrounding mountains.

I think the best feature of this property is the locations. It's ideally situated between Sequoia and Kings Canyon Parks. You can get to all the major park sites in a short amount of time (relatively speaking as the park is huge and the roads are very curving with low speed limits).

The grounds of the resort are very nice. The lake is beautiful and there are trails very nearby. I also thought the staff was incredible. Everyone was very friendly and helpful when asked for assistance.

I'm happy I chose to stay at Montecito Lake Resort for my first visit to Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and I'll be happy to stay there when I return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Shawn M
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We went on a quick vacation to Seqouia National Park, and this lodge was more than we expected. It had an amazing view of the mountains, and also included a dining area, a swimming pool and jacuzzi, and a climbing wall, and also a games room. Across from the lodge was a lake, good for canoeing. We beame friends with a group of adorable ducks that followed us, quacking. At night there are campfires and people serving s'mores. An amazing lodge-the best lodge I've ever visited and beter than most hotels.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Aidan M
Reviewed October 27, 2011

My mom and brother spontaneously stayed here, primarily based on the other 5 and 4 star reviews here, and we found them to be very accurate.
Let me start by saying that for sure this place is NOT the Hyatt, nor is it even a Holiday Inn - if you are expecting that, you will likely be disappointed (yes, there is no extra plug on the lamp for your laptop - but there is wifi; no phones or coffee makers in the room, but free beverages and snacks 24 hours/day in the main lodge). It was very much a place for families, and international travellers; It is rustic, it is aging, but we found it to be very clean, comfortable and a great value for what they provide. It is out in middle of a national park - an upscale hostel like lodge might be a good description.
We opted to stay in a simple lodge room with a private bath (king bed and bunk): very clean, found the beds/mattresses very supportive and confortable, gas heat; clean private bath. It was a very small room, but we only bathed and slept here -- if you are not out exploring the amazing sequoiaa, there is tons of comfortable space to lounge in the main lodge.
Even for being "off season" there seemed to be many travellers, and all we talked to, seemed to love it and were surprised at what good value it was, especially since they include meals (lunch only if you stay 2 nights, since check in is 4pm and check out is 11am). We thought all the meals were delicious, hearty and good soul food; beverages were free, and they sell beer, wine and sodas; bagels, cereals, fruit is available 24hours. (again, if you are expecting a fine dining experience, you might be disappointed)
The place did seem deserted during the day, with most people opting for a bag lunch; we enjoyed the main lodge experience in the evenings -- folks surfing the net on laptops on comfy couches in front of the fire, or playing cards on the dining tables; families and kids of all ages seemed to be enjoying the attached "recreation room" area, which had a zillion board games, books, ping pong table, fuze ball, yamaha piano, to name a few.
We also found all the staff hardworking and friendly.
We will definitely return and encouraging our other family members to join us there!

Room Tip: Sugar pine lodge rooms - seem since they are not in the main lodge, but are only a short walk to the main Lodge.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank rajgoaguy
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This place was described as a resort and a lodge but should have been called a "camp". If you are used to camping then this place would work for you. It had a decent bed and hot water but be careful since some rooms have a shared bath. We had a room with a king bed and two bunks since that was available. This "lodge" may have been 1st class in its day but now it should be condemed because it is so run down. We could see daylight under the door and the cold air poured in, so we used pillows to block it at night. There was no TV, phone, or coffee pot in the room. Ice was available for $2. There is no cell phone service but we were able to get a good internet connection. To plug in our laptop we ran our extension cord to the only outlet in the room which was behind the king bed. Having the cord draped across the room was inconvenient to say the least. The thermostat for the heater was behind the set of bunk beds which blocked the only window in the room. The beautiful lake was actually a pond and it was not beautiful. The included meals were buffet style and a mixed bag. The salad and fresh fruit at dinner were very good but the corn was canned and the stringbeans tasteless. The curried chicken was okay and the fish was drowned in a white sauce. Breakast had nice fresh fruit and yogurt but the eggs were very runny. Bacon was crispy and excellent. Coffee was by the cup from a machine like you find at a Circle K, not great. This would be an okay place for a family that was used to camping as they seemed to cater to the "camp fire" crowd. There was a lot a room for the kids to run around and they actually had a camp fire ring at night. Sleeping was not a problem once your neighbors went to bed, but you could hear every footstep before they did. Sort of like sleeping in a bowling alley but the guy at the front desk said "they had not had any complaints about noise" when we expressed our concern about being downstairs. We should have read the reviews more carefully. Most of the reviews were very positive but on closer reading this place definitely should be be for families only and the term "lodge" means a hunting or fishing type of accomodation, not a resort. Stay in Fresno and drive up for the day or pay the extra and stay in a nicer lodge.

Room Tip: Upstairs would be quieter. Make sure you have a private bath.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple