“God's blessing rests upon this place”

Silver City Mountain Resort
Valley Village
“God's blessing rests upon this place”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Everything I read says to go to Silver City for the beautiful mountain views and general peace and remoteness from the world, and while that's all well and true, I think you should go to Silver City equally for the people who work there. There is a sign hanging in the restaurant that says "Hands to work, Hearts to God" and it couldn't be more befitting for the staff at Silver City.

I wasn't too happy when I awoke to see 4" of unpredicted snow and realized all my impromptu plans for the memorial day weekend were spoiled as we were now stranded (little car, no chains) and a pair of sandals and porous fabric tennis shoes were all I had to wear. I really wanted out... But my humbug attitude didn't phase the staff more than to sincerely offer me a pair of boots off their own feet. (Praise God - one gal wore the same size and had an extra pair!) After a brief, impromptu but well sung worship service lead by Michael, the resorts general manager, I decided to take her up on the offer. I also had a major deadline at work to meet after returning so being snowed in also caused me concern there. The staff assured me they'd get my friend and I out on our planned checkout day, even if they had to put chains on the car and drive it down on our behalf or pull it out with a 4 wheel drive truck - all so I could relax and enjoy the stay. (Thankfully, the weather cleared and we were able to get out...but the offer did put me at ease)

I can honestly say, I haven't enjoyed hanging out in the snow as much as I did this weekend since I was very young...maybe ever. (I never was a fan of the snow...that's why I love and moved to Southern CA!)

The people - the staff - at Silver City have a peaceful joy and controlled zeal for what they do and no matter how cold it is outside, their presence warms you up. Thank you for a most memorable memorial weekend, my new friends!

If you like windy mountain roads with beautiful views, you will enjoy the 21 mile drive to the resort. But a word of caution to those, like me, who don't stomach switchbacks well - prepare yourself. It takes a good 60-90 minutes and you may wish to take some breaks to just stop and enjoy the view along the way. Eat some crisp apples, too, as they help calm the stomach.

My friend and I stayed in the Cozy Pines cabin and found it to be just that - cozy. It seemed a little small at first, but in the chilly weather it was a huge blessing because it meant much warmer quarters. The cabin had a full gas stove, kitchen sink, pots & pans, plates, cups, bowls, silverware, knives, and mid-sized refrigerator & freezer (separate doors). The cabin is heated with a small wood stove (they supply wood (pine), newspaper, and matches - if you want other amenities like a torch, lighter fluid or those special easy-to-light logs or something slower burning like oak, pack it in). The cabin has 3 gas-lamps in it that provide adequate light and are easy to light.

Pack your own sheets, towels (for kitchen & bath), and toiletries. The resort is very sustainability oriented and thus doesn't pick up the overhead of laundry services.

The bathrooms are located just across the drive way from cozy pines and have 2 showers, a bath tub, and 2 flushable toilets per unit (1 unit male, 1 female). They were clean and lit, but a little chilly in the cold weather.

Although there is electricity and wifi internet (satellite connection) at the store/restaurant, not all cabins have this amenity in them and since the resort is off the grid, electricity usage is limited. At least while I was there, they don't turn electricity (or thus internet) on until noon and the restaurant/store closes down at 8pm. So print your maps and plans for your trip in advance.

If you want to go remote, where nature, God, and personal relationships are the priority focus, Silver City is the place to go.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Gwende1yn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My friend and I stayed in one of the "rustic cabins" at Silver City. The cabin was so cute, with every type of dish and pan one could want for cooking . The bed was really comfortable, and the blankets that were provided were fine.. The shared bathrooms were clean and the hot water was immediate. A surprise snow storm hit us while we were there which caused a few unforeseen problems (frozen pipes!) However, the staff were very attentive and caring, making sure we were ffine: ensuring our wood level was adequete, that we had enough warmth, and checking to see if we had any issue whatsoever. They made great home-made food in the restaurant and were willing to give us seconds of anything we wanted. This isn't the sort of place to go if you like a lot of creature comforts - however, if you are willing to simplify your existance for a while this is perfect. Silver City also has chalets if you are staying with a larger party that have electricity and full bathrooms, so the comforts are there if you are willing to pay a little more for them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank chickenoregg
california
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Nice little rustic place. Very remote so bring anything you may want during your stay in the beautiful mountains. Especially alcohol! There is none available there or anywhere nearby. There is a restaurant onsite that serves heated up Costco burgers. Church services are conducted on their restaurant deck on Sunday morning so eat early if you're not interested in attending the sermon. Rustic cabins are fine, perhaps a bit overpriced for what you get, considering bathrooms are separate, in a nearby public building. Finally, be prepared for a long, windy and treacherous drive up to the Mineral King area. It's 21 long miles of an extremely winding, unkept road with no railing and a long drop below.

• Liked — The gorgeous scenery
  • Disliked — No alchohol available
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank corkymaria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
#1 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer...
#2 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Silver City Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!