New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Stony Creek Lodge
Southern California
“When will I learn?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

I just got home from Sequoia National Forest. I stayed at the Stony Creek Lodge AND RESORT. Hardy har har....My husband and I took off for the weekend looking forward to hanging out together, staying in a nice hotel and having a nice dinner, It's all I wanted. I was shocked upon our arrival. I almost was at a loss for words, then a few slipped out... I stood staring at what I thought was a queen sized bed with a gross comforter and a matching single bed next to it. Green carpet and like the other reviewer noted missmatched furniture that appeared to be 50 years old covered in dust and the room was small and there was only a portable fan and no television. The sheets did not fit the bed and I woke up with them tangled around my legs. The bathroom was dilapidated as well and came with mold. The room picked up every sound made outside of it, be it the road, the generator at the gas station, the restaurant downstairs, the lodge sitting area and even the neighbor's shower. Oh the restaurant... Pizza..expensive not worth it pizza. Want something to drink with that other than soda, you buy it from the market. My husband offered for us to leave the park that night disregarding the tickets we purchased for the caves in the a.m. and just go home. I don't care how close it is to where ever you may be going. I would not stay there again especially for the $165.00 for one night. You will be sorry. I was sorry I did not ask my husband to check TripAdvisory before booking the room. I will never make that mistake again.

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank lambkee

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

The rooms are very small, and not worth the $140 fee. Plus when we got there, there was a large mouse trap with a mousse inside alive next to our bed... This kept me up all night, and of course who can sleep in these conditions. The rooms smelled like an old stinky place.Additionally, the staff does not know the general area, so we were looking for this place for 2 hours. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank portugueseazorean

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

Philips Ranch, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

We should have trusted the reviews on TripAdvisor.com before booking, but it was too late. I was nervous prior to arriving since all the previous reviews were so bad about this place. Well, all the reviews were correct.
Stony Creek Lodge is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. We actually stayed 3 nights. My wife and I were disgusted and very frustrated, but what could we do. All the other places in the park were already booked.
The first night, the electricity went out for a few hours. Then there was no hot water for 24 hours. That meant taking cold showers.
This place would be okay if they only charged $50/night. Unfortunately, they charge around $140.
I have learned from my mistake. I hope I can help others by not making the same mistake I did.

• Liked — location is very convenient to Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks
  • Disliked — We hated just about everything about this place.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PhilipsRanch
Carbondale, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

The furniture looked liked it was bought at a yard sale with nothing matching. It was so dusty that we cleaned it ourselves. The walls are paper thin so it was very noisy. The place closes down at 7 p.m. and does not open until 8 a.m..

We stayed one night and left at 5:30 a.m. without taking showers or eating. It was a disgusting place to stay and we should have been paid to stay instead of paying the price we did for absolutely no services.

Poor, poor, poor!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Not being clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Highlander45
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

I booked a room in advance for $150. Now, you'd think for that amount, you'd get at least 3 or 4 star accomodations, right? Well, when we arrived, we discovered a dump - very rundown and dilapitated. It looks like it hasn't been updated since the early 1960s. My wife didn't even want to use the bathroom because there was urine on the seat. OK, that could be expected for $70 perhaps, but not for $150. We told the manager we weren't staying, but he told us that our credit card would be charged anyway. Very nice. I wrote a letter to the management asking for a refund, but it was ignored. Thanks Stony Creek Lodge. You got me for $150.

Stayed June 2006
10 Thank janedoe333
Bradenton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

1 Night Stay 9/29/06. The online photos look better than hotel. So I am glad I was traveling alone and not with my family. There is a comfortable lodge with fireplace so you don’ t need to stay in the room. The restaurant was not operational and only a continental breakfast was offered. They do sell gas so filler up. I had dinner 3-4 miles down the road a Montecito-Sequoia Lodge. The buffet style dinner had a wide Varity of everything and hit the spot 'Good Eats, Friendly Staff". The owner "A little old lady" welcomes everyone and tells a little story now and then while you are eating. The rooms back at Stony Creek are like something out of the 70's, but it was in fact very clean. I felt the $148 dollars paid was to much, however accommodations in the area are limited in the area. I would not recommend this for families, and would suggest the Montecito-Sequoia Lodge which also had a terrific breakfast. Other hotels if they have vacancies. The bed was comfortable, and room had gas heat that keep me toasty.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank MRMPlus3
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

We stayed at Stoney Creek Lodge for three nights in August. The Lodge is in a great location if you want to visit the western area of the parks. It's between Grant Grove and Giant Forest. The lodge could use some updating, but was clean and comfortable. There is a nice continental breakfast included in the room fee from 7-10 AM every morning. The little restaurant also offers pizza and salads (extra modest charge), with the hardest working staff. All things considered, we enjoyed our stay very much. "Wildwood, MO guy" needs to realize that he's at 6,500 ft. elev. and the resort is run by diesel generators. If you want luxury, fork over $175. per night at the beautiful new John Muir Lodge in Grant Grove.
Be sure to buy gas in the valley, because it is $3.85 in the park.
If you're lucky you may get to see the black bear that cruises through the Stoney Creek area on a regular basis.

• Liked — Location and the bear
  • Disliked — All rooms upstairs
  • Tips/Secrets — You have to go see "Tharp's log" in Crescent Meadow near Moro Rock!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NapaMomster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers
3.0 of 5 stars 269 reviews
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn

Been to Stony Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!