“Not a pleasant stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stony Creek Lodge

Stony Creek Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   General's Hwy, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not a pleasant stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Stoney Creek Lodge for two nights while exploring the Sequoias and wished we had payed a litter extra for another place in the park. First of all, I was not expecting a resort, I just wanted a nice clean room with a comfy bed (for $165 a night). What we got was a dirty room that was last updated in the 60's. Hardly no lighting to see and a 20 year old bed where the seams were ripped and the bedding was coming out. On our second night we were kept awake from a very loud strange sound coming fro the bathroom. We found out that it was the sound of the water being turned off, and air coming into the lines. Thats right folks, no morning shower, no flushing the toilet and no washing your hands. The location is very convenient and there is a store in the building (only open from 8-6) but other than that the place is an over priced dump.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaymz1970

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We chose this lodge knowing it was lowest rated, but other accommodations were full.

Our poorly-lit 2-bed room comprised one double (for two people) pushed against the wall, and a twin bed close to the bathroom. Hard pillows and so-so mattresses. Ventilation was from the windows which blew on us all night, or by leaving the door open.

Small bathroom with good shower.

Security was poor - but this seems to be a low crime area - the front door was locked about 9pm, but the back door was propped open each night for 3 of our 4 nights - we closed it ourselves.

These parks have no cell phone coverage! There are two pay phones, and you can buy phone cards.

Free WiFi but no TV for guests (not a problem), despite 2 satellite dishes. The lobby has over-soft sofas, chairs and tables, and several board games.

The restaurant is limited but good - pizza, salad and hot dogs.
Breakfast is prewrapped stale bagels, cereal, an egg-McMuffin thing, and not much else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank CaroleF

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We chose this facility because it is located half way between the attractions at Kings Canyon NP and Sequoia NP. And indeed it is. Which mean driving a fair distance to reach either. This is a no frills lodge run by the NPS which means very basic accommodations. However, we found the Cedar Grove Lodge in Kings Canyon to be superior in terms of amenities, cleanliness and friendliness. It was also less expensive.

The positives: you are very close to some of the most spectacular scenery in the world; there is reasonably priced gas available; there is a general store with a fair amount of food, essentials, etc.; there is also a relatively inviting lobby in which to read, have coffee, etc.; continental breakfast.

The not-so-positives: the room was passably clean and had a VERY stale odor to it; one rather dim light fixture for the entire room; no AC; you are right on the busy main road; the young staff were, frankly, a bit odd--as if they were unacustomed to helping/interacting with guests.

The verdict: will try other lodging next time around.

• Liked — Gas
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kvwbingo
Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

My sisters, wife, and two teenage sons stayed here for two nights. The hotel has a great location, situated in woods between sequoia and Kings Canyon. The property itself reminds me of park properties I stayed in the 60's. We needed a cot in our room, but arrived after the lodge was closed, and it wasn't there, so my son slept on the floor. He said the floor was better than the cot which he slept on the second night. The breakfast was ok, but the patio made up for any deficiencies.

The parks were great. Kings Canyon was amazingly beautiful.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank katahnic
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

My husband and I recently spent 4 days in Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and stayed at the Stony Creek Lodge. Like most rustic places in the Sierras, it was simple and modestly decorated, but comfortable and clean. There are several campsites nearby that rely on the small market, shower facilities, and gas station (the only one in the park!). After a day hiking the nearly trails, we spent the evening eating freshly baked Calzones and drinking ice cold beer we bought at the market on the outdoor deck under umbrellas. There are few places in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area to eat, and it was nice to have a room and meal all in one location. For a splurge, we had dinner one night at the restaurant in Grant Grove, where a traditional sit-down meal could be had. There they served dinner items such as Salmon, St. Louis style ribs, and the all-American basics like hamburgers and the like. Stony Creek also offers a complementary continental breakfast with the basics. And, during our stay the staff told stories of the bears that live in and around the lodge area. We really enjoyed it. The other reviewers were expecting the Ritz Carlton, but remember this is the Sierras, and a room and meal in this lodge beats sleeping on the ground in a crowded campsite (without shower facilities) any day.

• Liked — Clean, conveniently located in the park
  • Disliked — no refrigerator in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank calgirl88
Southern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

I just got home from Sequoia National Forest. I stayed at the Stony Creek Lodge AND RESORT. Hardy har har....My husband and I took off for the weekend looking forward to hanging out together, staying in a nice hotel and having a nice dinner, It's all I wanted. I was shocked upon our arrival. I almost was at a loss for words, then a few slipped out... I stood staring at what I thought was a queen sized bed with a gross comforter and a matching single bed next to it. Green carpet and like the other reviewer noted missmatched furniture that appeared to be 50 years old covered in dust and the room was small and there was only a portable fan and no television. The sheets did not fit the bed and I woke up with them tangled around my legs. The bathroom was dilapidated as well and came with mold. The room picked up every sound made outside of it, be it the road, the generator at the gas station, the restaurant downstairs, the lodge sitting area and even the neighbor's shower. Oh the restaurant... Pizza..expensive not worth it pizza. Want something to drink with that other than soda, you buy it from the market. My husband offered for us to leave the park that night disregarding the tickets we purchased for the caves in the a.m. and just go home. I don't care how close it is to where ever you may be going. I would not stay there again especially for the $165.00 for one night. You will be sorry. I was sorry I did not ask my husband to check TripAdvisory before booking the room. I will never make that mistake again.

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank lambkee
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

The rooms are very small, and not worth the $140 fee. Plus when we got there, there was a large mouse trap with a mousse inside alive next to our bed... This kept me up all night, and of course who can sleep in these conditions. The rooms smelled like an old stinky place.Additionally, the staff does not know the general area, so we were looking for this place for 2 hours. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank portugueseazorean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers
3.0 of 5 stars 253 reviews
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn

Been to Stony Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!