“What a dump!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Stony Creek Lodge
Monroe, LA
“What a dump!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked Stony Creek Lodge via the internet. We received an e-mail with directions to the lodge Nowhere did it say that the lodge office closed at 7:00 PM and the pizza restaurant (the only food in MILES) closed at 7:30. We drove for over an hour on climbing switchback roads in the dark. The directions were very poor,but we finally made it! It was closed up tight! Our key was taped to the door. We wandered around and finally found some outside stairs to our room. We are on a 30 plus day trip to the west and have stayed in hotels/motels/lodges/B&Bs for 3 weeks. This was absolutely the worst! There was a double bed and space around it to walk. Everything was very spartan and dated. There was a note apologizing that if you got up early, it took 15 minutes for the water to get hot for a shower. There was,of course, no air conditioning and the day had been very hot. We got up in the morning and decided to get breakfast and drive to the General Sherman tree. The office and restaurant were STILL closed at 7:45 AM. They didn't open until 8!! If we had paid $50 for this room, we wouldn't be complaining so much, but we paid $119!! It was certainly not worth the money. Stay away!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marmc60

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Bernardino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon Parks, and stayed at Stony Creek. I read so many negative reviews about the lodge, I was really scared when we pulled in, that I had made a horrible mistake. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a comfortable and inviting place to stay. Our room was tiny but clean. The pizza was great, and being able to take our own food and drinks to eat on the patio was just awesome. I had read someone's comment that there was nowhere nearby to hike, and I just can't figure out what they could mean. We hiked across the street, and also down the hill from the parking lot. It may not be the Ritz, but it is a perfect place to rest your head at night in the middle of the beautiful mountains. Seeing the people lined up for hours to take a shower made me very grateful for the clean shower and toilet we had. I think of it as "glamping". The staff were very friendly, and gave us some great tips about the area. They knew I was really wanting to find a bear, and they were very excited for me, when I came back and told them we had found one, (high 5's and all). Can't wait to go back!

Chino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just returned home, after atwo day stay at Stony creek lodge. Had a nice experience . The room though basic was clean and quiet. The pizza parlor had some very good thin-crust pizza. Plenty for leftovers the next day. The gift shop also had a nice selection of wine. The hotel staff was very helpful, maybe a little overworked, but still very nice. The location of the hotel is centered in park which is nice.If your looking for a hotel to hang around all day, this is not the place. If your looking clean quiet room to rest up after a day of hiking this is the place.P.S. Had dinner at Watsuchi Lodge. 100 dollars. Nice. The pizza parlor 25 dollars. Wonderful.

1 Thank mark m
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on our way back from a hike before getting to our campsite in Lodgepole. We saw they had pizza. So we thought we'd treat ourselves and save cooking on the grill for one night. There was only 1 table seated, eating. A couple in from of us waiting for a cashier. After 5 minutes, I told them to ring the bell (they were German I think). They did. Up until this point I was fairly patient. I'm on vacation. I'm relaxed. And I realize there can be staff shortages. So a few minutes later a very disgruntled employee comes from the back. She rings up their order (just a beer and a water!!!). She hastily took of the bottle cap from the beer, handed it to the guy. Three the cap in the floor in disgust and went to the back. Yes, we were in line. We would have liked to order pizza. After 7 more minutes, we just left. No one wanted to take our order!! Ridiculous! As we left, the lady at the cash register for the store said everything ok? I said the lady never came back to take our order. She said what? She left?! We said yes, and left. AVOID THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed August 2013

Travelers are raving about these Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels

Lancaster, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Extremely loud! The rooms are small and have no fridge or microwave. The showers are always cold. Front desk staff treated us very poorly and didn't bother to look at their paper work to verify our reservation and gave us the shoulder shrug. Extremely unpleasant. It is filled with screaming kids that will not let you sleep at night.

The drive is very far also from the nearest attractions.

Room Tip: Do not even think about going here.
2 Thank Sevan I
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We would strongly advise anyone to save their hard earned money and avoid this overpriced dump. Either rough it and camp or stay at the infinitely superior Watsuchi Lodge down the road. Sequoia National park is stunning but everything else sucks about the grandly and misleadingly named Stony Creek Lodge. The staff at reception were utterly bored and managed to check us into the wrong room later incurring the wrath of an outraged customer. There seems to be no one in charge. The décor and furniture are tired and shabby. The staff are disinterested. The price is grossly inflated for the little you get. On one night an inconsiderate employee decided to use an incredibly noisy leaf blower till 8pm. The so called restaurant sells pizza, nothing else and closes at 7.30 pm. The whole place looks and feels past it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 740David
Sarasota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was scared to stay in this place after reading the numerous negative reviews. Once we were in our room, (strongly scented with air freshener that was not very appealing) I was appalled to find it was just adjacent to the guest "lounge," the gift store/grocery (that has everything you need for your visit to Sequoia), and then right outside the other door (opposite the main door of the room) was the eating area outside with picnic tables and umbrellas. When people are present in these areas, it is very loud in the room, so I felt very irritable. Comfort was really at a low, since there were four large windows in the room facing out to this picnic area (which is very popular), with blinds that seemed to be easy to see through. However, this aside, I slept very well here after we ordered some excellent pizza (yes, it is--we had the vegetarian) and had a glass of wine in said eating area, where we met some very nice folks and had a fun chat while basking in the middle of this beautiful forest. The hotel is VERY under-staffed and I recommend that they hire at least two other people to help out the poor girl who was there by herself, looking tired and stressed as she took numerous orders for pizza. The breakfast was kind of negligible but we prepared for this, as we brought our own instant oatmeal. They do have stuff there to eat (yogurt, fruit) You do have access to hot water in your room with a coffee maker, but no fridge (which is a shame because you could simply eat the other half of that pizza from the night before that you threw away because it was SO large.) The bed mattress was firm and supportive, and I slept well without any back pain in the morning. There are gas pumps out front, which is super-convenient. Overall, if you can get past your first impression, it is an adventure and reminds me of the way hotels were when I traveled with my parents back in the day to cabins in the woods, VERY basic. Be sure to ask for a room that is AWAY from the outside area and the guest lounge!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bastmuse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers

Been to Stony Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!