“Awesome campgrounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dorst Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Dorst Campground
You added Dorst Campground to your Saves list
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome campgrounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Booked 3 nights. #95. Perfect location. Not too close to the bathrooms, had the faucet right there, and flat ground. Pretty creek where we took some wine and hung by the water. Muir Grove trail is within the camp and it's a fun 4-mi round trip trail to Sequoias. Yes, we had a bear encounter whilst around the campfire. He smelled our grill and came casually strolling by. We grouped together and yelled so he left. A bear came every night so keep your food put away. Nearby to Lodegepole so we could get stuff we needed. Went hiking and saw the sights. Definitely a fun campground to stay at. Just be sure to find photos of the lots you plan to stay at, bc some are VERY slanted.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Jo613

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

We were a group of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids), who stayed at Dorst for 3 nights in late June. Huge pro--it's a lovely campground. We stayed across from the meadow towards the back of the campgrounds. My quibbles are that it's mixed camping--RVs amidst tents-- and the RV generators going all hours of the night are wearying. Also, one toilet in the ladies' room was clogged all 3 nights of our stay even after we reported it. There's a lot of bear activity, so if you stay here, do your neighbors a favor & CLEAN UP COMPLETELY after every meal.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank LauraKang
chino
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

we camped for 2 nights and the bears raided from 12 am to 5 am i couldnt sleep all the noise and in fact our food box broke compleltly and my dogs came back super frightned i honestly do not recomend to stay there right now its terrifying im still scared......

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank juergen G
Bell Gardens, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Well Dorst Creeek was VERY beautiful I have never seen a place like it. There were several probles though
1) The campground was on a hill and I was rolling in my tent not to mention the picnic table was slanted.
2) Very high altitude so its VERY cold at nigh make sure to bring double sweater or at least one good one.
3)You may have to park away from the campground.
4)Its crowded! I didnt know where the campground started or where they ended.
5) When they mean creek they mean creek! I would of loved to take a dip in the river but this thing was miniature not to mention COLD and when I mean cold I mean when ur reaching down a cooler when the ice melted to get the last 7-UP!
6)It is a LONG drive and you need to conserve gas because there are no gasoline stations. Oh and the ride up is horrible there are alot of curves and when I went the road was under construction so read the details on recreation.gov cause I didnt! (had to wait 20 minutes to cross mountain)

Now the pros are also good dont get me wrong there were some great things about this place too!
1) You can walk along the creek next to site #97 I personaly went to fish alittle. The fish are about as big as your middel finger and are trout!
2) Deer crossing :) I got to see two male deer while hiking about 1/3 of a mile from the campsite it was amazing.
3) No bears. They just make a big fuzz about things just keep ur meat in the boxes and you will be fine.
4)No bugs! Well maybe a little but you can count them with ur fingers but there are alot of mosquitos by the rivers and creeks!
5) The shuttle takes you to the Giant forest,Museum, Lodgepole (for the river), and Moore Rock.
6)CLEAN BATHROOMS! Toilet paper very thin though! oh and no showers, electricity, but my site had water so thats good.
7)Lots of shade. Thr redwoods are super tall and it provides alot of shade not to mention a spectacular view at night with so many stars.

Overall this place was GOOD not the best but good specially when you book it at the last minute. All the campgrounds were full specially Potwisha and Buckeye Flat so make reservations or suffer the consequenses specially if your going on the weekend. The good thing about it was the River near by where u can take a dip in(Lodgepole Picnic Area)! I thinks thats it oh and if ur considering Lodgepole let me warn u that its very open and no shade. Well from what I saw but they did have a store nearby whith a public phone! Well Sequoia was really nice enjoy ur trip and dont forget the smores :)

Room Tip: Make Reservations on Weekends! First come first serve become full specially the fist campgrounds!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
7 Thank claudia_hnandez
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Dorst Campground is really in the middle of the forest. My family and I stayed 4 nites, drove in from the coast on Sunday nite and left early Thurs. morning. We were in a 26 ft. R.V. and stayed in campsite 15. Since this campsite is on the outskirts of the campground we had no problems with noise from other campers. This site involved backing in to the site with our RV, but definitely big and long enough for a bigger RV if needed. Dorst Creek was right in the back of our campsite, so it was really relaxing hearing the water. Plenty of room on the western side of the campsite to play frisbee or even set up a badminton net if you are into that. Would also be great for horseshoe's too! The downside of this campsite is that it has a direct western sun evening exposure, so if you don't have an awning or canopy it can make your RV or trailer a little hot.
All in all this is a beautiful campground. We did see a bear down by the stream right behind our campsite. We found out later that the bear's name is Sandy. So if you see a blondish brown bear with a very large ear tag, thats Sandy. We were told that Sandy really likes to raid your campground when you are not around, So please use the bear boxes if you are tenting, or in a tent trailer. Otherwise, if you are in an RV like we were, just make sure when you leave your RV at your site, you close all windows, and vents, put up the front privacy curtains and close all shades. What a bear can't see, they won't go after, but if they can see anything up in the drivers area that looks like food (leftover trash from McD's for instance) they will break your windows and then you will have a bear in your trailer~Not fun at all~
One last thing, if you are up to a beautiful hike, at the backside of this campground is the Muir Trail that goes to a lovely grouping of Giant Sequoia's. It's 2 miles in and 2 miles back over the same trail, thats 4 miles in total. About 1/2 way is a great rock overlook, that really gives you an ontop view. Quite a nice place to eat your lunch. This trail is marked Moderate in all the review books, but because of the high altitude and if you are not in good shape, I would take it slow. Make sure that you look for bear and deer while you are walking. We saw two male mule deer with full antler! Have a good time! Look for my review here in TripAdvisor under Sequoia National Park~I give a complete description on the Shuttle System that I think would be quite helpful to everyone!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank nativecalifornian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Dorst creek campground might be the best campground in the giant forest. We were there for 5 days and only saw one bear the entire week. We were worried because of prior reviews, but the rangers told us they had problems with bears last year. Nothing this year.

• Stayed July 2011
      Rooms
7 Thank Onehappycamperpo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Reserved for a quick one nighter over July 4 weekend .Snagged the last night using reserve.america online reservatoin system about two weeks beforehand.

The campground is very open and spread and large. Noise travels and sadly, so too do people's TVs, radios, and the like making my camping less than peaceful at times. Our campsite was literally on top of the one beside us. Plus we had little to no shade at all. Not a huge deal cause we were mostly out of the site playing, but I noticed this was true for many of the sites in the area.

Expect a decent campsite - very family friendly and oriented so noise is a problem as is poor bear safety practices with food, etc. The rangers themselves were MIA outside of check-in. Bears came in and caused a ruckus. Did not effect me too much, but was never comfy knowing I slept across from the dumpster and with poor bear safety by many in the campsite this will never die down...

All in all the best part of staying here reinforced to my wife why backpacking is always better than car camping! So Dorst had that win!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank sambieni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Wuksachi Lodge
Stony Creek Lodge
Stony Creek Lodge
#18 of 20 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
3.0 of 5 stars 96 reviews

Been to Dorst Campground? Share your experiences!