“Super scenic canyon road”

Kings Canyon Scenic Byway
More attraction details
Owner description: A 30-mile scenic drive between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove Village.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Continuous curves and high altitudes with incredible views of 5000 ft granite canyon and river below. Plenty of turnouts to take it slow and you will likely take many photos. Expect to average 20 mph max.

3  Thank kpvin

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Take the time to drive to the end of the road. The scenery enroute changes drastically and the views are excellent. It is only 30 miles from Grant Village but just driving will take you more then an hour. Lots of hairpin turns and switchbacks. At the end, you can do a hike or 2 or cool off in the stream. There is a ranger at the end with good advice on hikes.

1  Thank nriemen
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The drive to the "end of the road" is definitely worth if if you have time. The landscape changed dramatically the farther you go. Definately a must do.

1  Thank Sharianderic
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This 30 mile drive from Grant Village down to Kings Canyon is filled with many beautiful mountain overlooks. The view is nearly as good as what you would expect to see in Zion or Yosemite valleys but without having to worry about all the people being there. Stop at grizzly falls for a quick walk to a nice little waterfall, then finish with a nice long hike at the trailhead at the end of the road.

2  Thank jared625
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Of all the things we did while in California, this day trip was unplanned but I am so glad our hosts convinced us to do it.
The drive up was spectacular - hairpin curves that made me a little nervous, but I obviously lived to tell about it. There is so much to see and the views are incredibly amazing. You absolutely will want your camera.
We did the hike to see General Sherman, the largest tree in the world. The area is well-done and the trail is an easy curved walk down. This hike is not a wilderness hike by any stretch. There are steps built into the hill and information stations along the way. We noted that the people walking up were not having such an easy time of it. Some of the people struggling were teenagers and younger kids, so we took someone's advice and rode the shuttle bus back up to our vehicle. The shuttles run often. Be sure you catch the right one back to the correct parking lot or you will spend a bit of extra time riding around - not a big deal if you aren't in a hurry. I met a gentleman from Texas who was on his first vacation in 40 years.
At the entrance to the General Sherman trail were nice bathrooms. They were outhouse style but clean and not smelly.
We wondered if this attraction would be busy but it didn't feel that way to us. We were there the end of June.
If you have the time, you need to do this. It was awe-inspiring. I appreciated that it was not touristy feeling at all. No keychains, no shot glasses, nothing of the sort. . . at least not that we saw.
Be sure you have enough gas to complete your drive.
There was a minimal charge at the entry. I believe it was $10 a person for a full day but please don't quote me on that. At the entry, they give you a map and a newspaper of do's and don't. (Like do not leave food visible in your vehicle if you do not want to be visited by bears.)
My regret was not stopping to get a huge pinecone. Traffic on our way out was a bit more crowded and stopping on the roadways would have been dangerous. I also wished I'd brought a bottle of water or that we'd packed a small cooler with water and soft drinks.
Side note - we traveled to Kings Canyon on 180 out of Fresno. As we neared Kings Canyon, we encountered the best fruit stand I'd ever experienced. The white peaches and plums were incredible. This stand has a washing area, a sample area, and the nicest employees ever.

6  Thank IowaLakeGirl78