“Lodgepole was the total package!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lodgepole Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Lodgepole Campground
You added Lodgepole Campground to your Saves list
Southern California
“Lodgepole was the total package!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I just got back from a family camping trip to Lodgepole. I went with my husband, 3-yr-old son, and my in-laws. We had sites 124 and 125. They are definitely two of the best sites at Lodgepole. The only site better is 128 because it's on the farthest edge of the campground and secluded by fallen trees. Our site 124 has a huge tent pad though so that worked out great for us. Our two sites were about 10-15 feet from the river. The river is low now so we hiked across the rocks to the other side and caught the trail to Tokopah Falls. That was an amazing hike! From the trailhead it's 3.8 miles roundtrip but it's well worth it. Amazing granite walls and green meadows are the scenery you get.

It got pretty cold at night but extra blankets on top of sleeping bags and hand warmers thrown into the sleeping bags was enough to keep us warm. We did have bears visit the campsite each night but they didn't bother anything. As long as everything with any odor at all is kept in the bear locker they move on. As much as we looked on every hike we could not find any bears during the day. Maybe next time.

The Lodgepole Market was a lifesaver. No matter how much you plan ahead there seems to always be things forgotten. The prices aren't too bad but they are more than you would pay at home. Showers are $3 for 10 minutes which is plenty of time to get clean and feel new again! The showers are clean and so are the bathrooms in the campground.

Overall, our family had a great time. We are going to go back next summer when the river is full. I definitely recommend this campground/campsite for anybody who wants to camp in the forest but needs to be close to amenities and attractions.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank carissa125

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Great time in Lodgepole. We were in #73, just a short stroll to the creek/river. The kids loved it. We were near the river and loved the sound at nite. Another couple we met camp on the uphill side, away fr the river, and said they see lots of wildlife come down off the mountain, then we looked at sure enough a pair of young bucks wandered past. On the hike from gen lee to the museum we saw a bear cub and a marmot (i think). The kids, 8,6,4,and 1.5 (in the backpack) hiked a number of trails no problem. Just the usual whine the last 500 yds. Crystal cave was cool, moro rock was a challenge for the 4 year old, and papa w the baby on board. Overall, hanging out in the creek was all we really needed to do. Go and have fun. BTW my tomtom only had Wukasachi listed as a location-so use that if your gps doesn't list lodgepole.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank The-Potentate
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

My son and I really enjoyed camping at Lodgepole. We selected a tent only campsite - #108 that is located on the upper loop. It is not too far from the stream and we saw mule deer and other wildlife such as chipmunks at the site. The privacy was really great since the tent pad was located away from the road. The only disadvantage of #108 relates to the small 9x9 tent pad but this worked out well for us.

The campground is near the market, grill, post office and ranger station. It is not a long drive to the General Sherman tree. I would definitely recommend camping at Lodgepole. Some sites are better then others and I did see sites where tents were located close to the road. The site for reserving campsites gives a description of each site. This information was helpful in selecting where we wanted to camp and I found the information to be fairly accurate.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank jdcTennessee
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

The campground was over populated. There are over 200 sites in an area that should have maybe 75, not more then 100. The sites are very small and on top of one another. Unless you are lucky enough to reserve one of the sites on the edges of the campground, you are not going to have any privacy or any sence of being in the wild. If you have to go to Lodgepole then sites #101, #169, 170 and 174 are probably the most secluded. It does not mean private.

If you look for real camping experiance then forget Lodgepole. If you are first time camper and being surrounded on all sides with tents of others within 10 feet from onather gives you sence of security then you might like it.

The only thing that makes up for the campsite is the closeness of beautiful adventures. The waterfall hike, the Cresent Meadow hike, the Crystal Cave, Sherman General are a must. Don't miss it.

• Liked — Activities close by
  • Disliked — small campsites and overcrowded
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Rooms
7 Thank natureisgod
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

My wife and I decided to go on a camping trip to the mountains for the first time. Because we are still newlywed and I still care about my wife ^^ I consider 3 important points about vacation (1. Price 2. Location 3. Activity). Leaving from Downtown L.A it took us about 5 hours mostly driving open range which was breath taking for us. (From three rivers to lodgepole driving course was very difficult lot of curves and incoming cars) <-- caution!! Once you get to lodgepole which I thought was a best location for camping. *PRICE* $20 /per night *LOCATION* The best location in the park there is main visitor center which have convienient showers($3) Laundry, and the best of all (MARKET!!) My wife and I spent over $150 on shopping!! lol.. souvenir and late night munches ^^. *ACTIVITY* two location where my wife and I enjoyed so much (recommended *****) Crystal Cave and Tokopah Falls Trail. Very challeging but exiting each trail is about 30min ~ 1 hour long. After challenging visit to Tokopah fall we took a dive in to the river that was ice cold which took our breath away literally ^^ It was best trip ever.. You should definitely make the reservation now~! (oh don't forget the mosquitos spray!!)

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — MOSQUITOS
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
9 Thank campingnewb
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

This was my first trip in an RV (25 ft with 1 slide-out), and I was initially apprehensive about staying in a campground with no hookups. We stayed 1 night (11 Jun), and it was fine.

In prepping for my trip, I'd read that the campground could be very crowded. It was fairly crowded, with RV lots right next to each other, but yet, it was peaceful, and people generally respected each others' rights to privacy and peace.

The campground is basic, and each lot comes with a BBQ pit with campfire ring, and we had great fun building a campfire. Our campground was right by the river, which made it easy to explore and have fun without walking too far with our 3-year olds. There is a granite dome right by our campground loop, and my 7-year old and I had a great bonding experience climbing up and down the dome.

Though there were no hookups, there was a central (free) fresh water point and dump-station.

My family and I were very pleased with our RV stay at Lodgepole.

• Liked — The price!
  • Disliked — No lights in the toilets.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank cchanmen
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

I decided to take my 6 year old camping for the 1st time and with the help of jaycruz' review and actual tent site number (101), our first trip was a BLAST!!! The campground was full but our site was really secluded. It gets morning sun only. The only drawback was the noise from the river but not so bad that we won't get the same site again. The river noise does make for some of the best sleep I have had in along time. The restrooms are clean and don't smell, the store has everything you may have forgotten and the staff is really cool! oh yeah, the views are stunning! Site 101 has to be the best, our friends were at #90 and it was crazy crowded and full sun all day.....HOT!

• Liked — The views, seclusion!
  • Disliked — Nothing at all!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank soulagent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Wuksachi Lodge
Cedar Grove Lodge
Cedar Grove Lodge
#4 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 135 reviews

Been to Lodgepole Campground? Share your experiences!