“Great Camping Trip at Lodgepole” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodgepole Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Lodgepole Campground
Nashville
“Great Camping Trip at Lodgepole”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

My son and I really enjoyed camping at Lodgepole. We selected a tent only campsite - #108 that is located on the upper loop. It is not too far from the stream and we saw mule deer and other wildlife such as chipmunks at the site. The privacy was really great since the tent pad was located away from the road. The only disadvantage of #108 relates to the small 9x9 tent pad but this worked out well for us.

The campground is near the market, grill, post office and ranger station. It is not a long drive to the General Sherman tree. I would definitely recommend camping at Lodgepole. Some sites are better then others and I did see sites where tents were located close to the road. The site for reserving campsites gives a description of each site. This information was helpful in selecting where we wanted to camp and I found the information to be fairly accurate.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank jdcTennessee

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2008

The campground was over populated. There are over 200 sites in an area that should have maybe 75, not more then 100. The sites are very small and on top of one another. Unless you are lucky enough to reserve one of the sites on the edges of the campground, you are not going to have any privacy or any sence of being in the wild. If you have to go to Lodgepole then sites #101, #169, 170 and 174 are probably the most secluded. It does not mean private.

If you look for real camping experiance then forget Lodgepole. If you are first time camper and being surrounded on all sides with tents of others within 10 feet from onather gives you sence of security then you might like it.

The only thing that makes up for the campsite is the closeness of beautiful adventures. The waterfall hike, the Cresent Meadow hike, the Crystal Cave, Sherman General are a must. Don't miss it.

• Liked — Activities close by
  • Disliked — small campsites and overcrowded
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
7 Thank natureisgod
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

My wife and I decided to go on a camping trip to the mountains for the first time. Because we are still newlywed and I still care about my wife ^^ I consider 3 important points about vacation (1. Price 2. Location 3. Activity). Leaving from Downtown L.A it took us about 5 hours mostly driving open range which was breath taking for us. (From three rivers to lodgepole driving course was very difficult lot of curves and incoming cars) <-- caution!! Once you get to lodgepole which I thought was a best location for camping. *PRICE* $20 /per night *LOCATION* The best location in the park there is main visitor center which have convienient showers($3) Laundry, and the best of all (MARKET!!) My wife and I spent over $150 on shopping!! lol.. souvenir and late night munches ^^. *ACTIVITY* two location where my wife and I enjoyed so much (recommended *****) Crystal Cave and Tokopah Falls Trail. Very challeging but exiting each trail is about 30min ~ 1 hour long. After challenging visit to Tokopah fall we took a dive in to the river that was ice cold which took our breath away literally ^^ It was best trip ever.. You should definitely make the reservation now~! (oh don't forget the mosquitos spray!!)

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — MOSQUITOS
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
9 Thank campingnewb
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

This was my first trip in an RV (25 ft with 1 slide-out), and I was initially apprehensive about staying in a campground with no hookups. We stayed 1 night (11 Jun), and it was fine.

In prepping for my trip, I'd read that the campground could be very crowded. It was fairly crowded, with RV lots right next to each other, but yet, it was peaceful, and people generally respected each others' rights to privacy and peace.

The campground is basic, and each lot comes with a BBQ pit with campfire ring, and we had great fun building a campfire. Our campground was right by the river, which made it easy to explore and have fun without walking too far with our 3-year olds. There is a granite dome right by our campground loop, and my 7-year old and I had a great bonding experience climbing up and down the dome.

Though there were no hookups, there was a central (free) fresh water point and dump-station.

My family and I were very pleased with our RV stay at Lodgepole.

• Liked — The price!
  • Disliked — No lights in the toilets.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank cchanmen
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

I decided to take my 6 year old camping for the 1st time and with the help of jaycruz' review and actual tent site number (101), our first trip was a BLAST!!! The campground was full but our site was really secluded. It gets morning sun only. The only drawback was the noise from the river but not so bad that we won't get the same site again. The river noise does make for some of the best sleep I have had in along time. The restrooms are clean and don't smell, the store has everything you may have forgotten and the staff is really cool! oh yeah, the views are stunning! Site 101 has to be the best, our friends were at #90 and it was crazy crowded and full sun all day.....HOT!

• Liked — The views, seclusion!
  • Disliked — Nothing at all!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank soulagent
Stony Point, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

Just got back from a great three days at Sequoia, and I was very pleased with our stay at Lodgepole. We stayed at site 174, because I had heard it was the most secluded spot. Well, "secluded" is a relative term: although 174 is at the outermost edge of the campground, set into the trees away from the rest, it is still in full view of several other sites. I'm used to much more primitive, solitary camping, and my girlfriend is used to hot showers and electrical hookups, so this was a bit of a compromise for both of us... and we were both very happy with it.

The visitors' center has EVERYTHING you might have forgotten to pack - from toilet paper to sleeping bags, from whiskey to produce - and it's not a rip-off. The only things I found to be pricey were the ice (of course) and the firewood (bring your own or buy it in town on your way to the park - it's $8 for about six pieces of wood at Lodgepole). This is where the showers are, as well; it was a bit too far away to be convenient in either the evening or morning, so we didn't use them.

The bear lockers are the same as those found everywhere else in the park, with plenty of room for a couple of coolers, packs, and whatever else we had to stuff in there. We didn't see any bears, but we had deer at our site every day, as well as scavenging Steller's Jays. For those afraid of creepy crawlies, we ran across a Rubber Boa and some of those big millipedes at the site as well; I doubt they're as likely to be seen in the more central areas. Anyway, they didn't bother us and we didn't bother them.

The camp seemed crowded to me, but my other half tells me it's dead quiet compared with Yosemite. At any rate, it's a good location, easy to find, and shuttles run to the major attractions. The sound of the river drowns out noise from other campsites, and we slept soundly every night. By the way, 173 is fairly well-secluded as well.

• Liked — Quiet nights
  • Disliked — Using bear lockers... but, hey, what can you do?
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Kafziel
CA Central Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

We have stayed at the Lodgepole Campground for the past five years. All of our campsites have been in the same loop up near the waterfall.
We have been during June and July in previous years and choose August this year so that we could splash around a little in the river. Last year they had a really high water flow at the end of June and we were not able to slash around since the water was to rough. There is a nice small pool at the bottom of the campground waterfall (the Topeka Waterfall is about 2 miles upstream) and a smaller sitting pool that has been carved by the river above that.
The water is not too cold and the surrounding rocks are warm after a day in the sun. It makes a wonderful place to splash around after a day of hiking.
The tent only campsites that we enjoy are in the Upper Lodgepole loop. Sites 124,125,126,128 are all riverfront property. During the high water season 128 has a small private stream that runs near it. This year we were at 128. The website that the National Park Service uses to book the sites (recreation.gov) has a map of the campsites. They are all close enough, but not too close to the bathrooms which are located directly across the lightly traveled road. There is a water spigot right behind 124. Site 128 is the most private of the four sites that we like. It is also farthest away from your car and 15 steps up. Not too bad, but on your first day at elevation hauling all of that stuff can be a chore. Site 128, being up the hill a little has no close neighbors and a fallen tree provides more privacy. There are two sites on that loop (123,127) that offer little privacy that I don't recommend if you can get on of the others.
If you have a large tent site 124 would be a good choice. Our tent hung off of the tent pad at site 128 (lined with rocks) and was a little bumpy. The tent pad at 124 is huge. Sites 124 and 128 also remove your tent from the fire pit so you don't get smoke wafting in the tent all night long. Site 128 is the largest of the four sites.
The Lodgepole Market just down the hill has ice, snacks and so far everything that we have forgotten we have found there. There is a mercifully small amount of souvenirs for our three kids to choose from. You can also find a burger, sandwiches, laundry and a hot shower near the Market. The Visitor Center with tickets to Crystal Cave (you should see it once) is a short walk away.
Sequoia National Park has just implemented a Shuttle route to a few stops this year. There are two stops in the Lodgepole area that take you as far as Crescent Meadow. We were able to do a couple of point to point hikes (instead of round trip) using the Shuttle stops.

• Liked — Location near the waterfall
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
29 Thank lovethewoods
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Wuksachi Lodge
#4 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers

Been to Lodgepole Campground? Share your experiences!