All reviews crystal cave bear box kaweah river visitor center falls trail creek running blue jays tent sites great site fire pit creek bed ft rv pine needles shady spots dogs are allowed water spigot nearby trails
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This campsite is located near everything you need to see and do while visiting Sequoia. I was very lucky to get a site next to the river. We all slept peacefully. The bathrooms were very clean (I don't think they had showers...sorry, there was a period of time while camping in CA that we all went without showering...didn't seem to be a big priority given the limited amount of showers in CA campsites) and they had a very cool little grocery place nearby. Very cool little place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at "Lodgepole Campground" in Sequoia National Park on 8/6/2012. It was my first time there. For a fee of $20.00 I had a nice campsite not far from a tram stop. I was also within walking distance of a store. I took the tram to the Wuksauki Lodge one day and took the tram which was free to see the General Sherman tree the next. With over 200 campsites the "Lodgepole Campground" is one of the two largest in the park. It is also the best one for having all the amenities nearby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Dwain C
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Once again my family and I had a wonderful time at Lodgepole. There are many campsites in both Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park. But if your looking for one that has some great spots and some good amenities then Lodgepole is the perfect place.

My family has been going to Lodgepole since I was a child. And now I take my children every year along with my sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles and their families. This year we had about 10 campsites and it was great.

Lodgepole is great for so many reasons. It is close to all the places you want to see while in the park. The giant forest, Moro rock, crescent meadow are all very close. Marble Fork of Kaweah River flows right through the campsite. The early you go the more water. I have been there in early June and seen the the water flowing so fast that there a very few spots to get in. And this year we were there July 19th - 23 and there was very little water. There was a plus though, lots of great pool for the kids to swim in. There is a easy trail to Tokopah falls as well as some longer trails to great locations that start right from the campsite. And Wolverton is a short drive down the road to some great trails. The lakes trail out of Wolverton is one of my favorites. Hume lake is about a 25 minute drive from the campsite and is a great place to spend a day.

One of the other great things about Lodgepole is at the entrance to the campsite. There is a nature center, showers, laundry room, deli, and a small cafeteria that makes some good breakfast. And a small market that knows exactly what you forgot. I think this is one of the reasons this campsite is ALWAYS full in the summer, so make your reservations early.

Almost all the spots are good, however the ones past and across the bridge are much better. Across the bridge there are sites for RV's are a little close together. This can be good if you are going with a large group like my family does. But if you are going alone or with another family I would recommend upper lodgepole. The sites there, especially at the end of the road in the upper loop are great. They are more secluded and have trees all around the site. The ones by the river are the amazing. Sites 130 - 136 are the best. I have stayed up there before and its great. Be aware of where the bathroom are because you may have a little walk at night.
If you want a larger site some of the ones across the bridge are big enough to fit two large tents easily 205 - 207 and 212 & 214.

I would recommend Lodgepole to anyone, from the first time campers who haven't been to far away from the comforts of home to those of us who love to rough it and be outdoors. I can't wait till next year. Happy Camping!

13  Thank John P
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My 8 & 11 year old kids and I recently camped here for 3 nights. While we are experience campers, we'd never camped in bear country and I was a bit worried. The rangers advised the basic requirements of using the bear lockers, but we never once had anyone come by the site or saw any rangers patroling to check on bear locker usage. All the park personnel we dealt with were pleasant and professional. We saw many deer in the campground, but only one bear on the roadside. A fellow camper spotted one near the river behind the campground but we missed it. We stayed in site #135 and it was an okay site. It's very large, but the majority is unusable due to being on a major slope down to the river. On the plus side: the river (stream at this time of year, being late July) was behind the site and we were able to hear it while we were in the tent. The bathroom was a short walk up the road but up a steep and rocky hillside with no lighting on the way or in the restrooms. They facilities weren't spotless but clean enough. The Lodgepole Visitor Center was a moderate walk or very short car ride down the hill and there were warm showers (12 quarters for 10 minutes; no other options), market (very pricey!) and a snack bar/deli area with burgers, pizza, etc. Overall, it was enjoyable and we plan to visit again. We would prefer sites #99, 100 or 101 as all backed up to the river, but had decently leveled areas.

5  Thank firsttimerstomaui
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Is the best campsite if you want a nice view of a meadow. We also spotted a bear in the meadow our first night there. It is a really lovely place, the campsite is also next to a small stream that you can hear at night when falling asleep.

1  Thank MollyLA