Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
$199
  • Breakfast included
Stony Creek Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
$169
Sierra Lodge(Three Rivers)
$129
$132
$120
  • Breakfast included
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn(Three Rivers)(Great Value!)
$145
$94
$110
$165
Cedar Grove Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscrystal cavebear boxkaweah rivervisitor centerfalls trailcreek runningblue jaystent sitesfire pitcreek bedft rvpine needlesshady spotsgreat sitedogs are allowedwater spigotnearby trails
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We tent camped at Lodgepole mid-week, mid-June right before the busy season. As the other reviews mentioned, the area is gorgeous and definitely worth visiting so I'll just focus on the areas I had concerns about before my trip:

Critters: We saw many animals including several deer, marmots, birds and squirrels but no bears. Mosquitoes were a minor problem at sunrise and dusk so you may want bug repellent.

Weather: Days were hot in the sun, comfortable in the shade and nights were cold. Pack a good sleeping bag and layers of clothing.

Sites: The campground is large but sectioned into different areas which is makes each section feel more secluded. Unless you are with a group, I would recommend sites on the outsides of the loops (the inside loop sites are fairly close to neighbors) or near the river. Happily, the other campers during our trip were all very pleasant, quiet and respectful. Each site is clean and has a fire ring. Bear boxes are at every site and large enough to store all our coolers, toiletries, etc. There are also extra bear boxes throughout the campground if you need more storage space.

Activities: There is so much to do in this area that you need at least two full days just to explore the area. The Crystal Cave tour is very cool and even our 6-year old enjoyed it. Moro Rock hike is amazing but stay away if you are afraid of heights! And the trees are tremendous. The Junior Ranger program is fun and easy for kids and they have a very sweet mini swearing in when they receive their badge. We drove over to the Kings Canyon area which is also beautiful but I felt like I was spending too much time in the car and would have traded that for a long walk in the Sequoia woods if I had to do it over.

Food: We were not too impressed with the food options. There is a small snack bar that serves hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. Just OK but expensive. The market was also just OK and I noticed that a lot of their canned food had expired about a year ago. But there are no other close options so bringing your own is best.

Overall beautiful area, nice camping and amazing scenery. We were also very impressed with the friendly staff around the park. Take the trip!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank originalmadshopper
Reviewed June 14, 2012

umm i have nothing to say bad about this place i experienced a beutifal expirence 3 bears 1 every night and a great vacation i recomened it

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank juergen G
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I tent camped out here with my g/f for 2 days June 3 and 4 and loved this place. I wasn't sure what to expect since the reservation website stated that only walk ins were available. As a walk in my concern was finding availability and a good spot. Luckily I arrived here on a sunday morning when most ppl were leaving and was able to choose from many spots.

They have clean showers. $3 for about 10 min. Hot water. Laundry facility. Market Place with all the necesities. Wood, Lanterns, flashlights, Wine, Beer, Food, Souvenirs.etc. I loved it.

Make sure you visit all the wonderful places: Sherman Tree, Crystal Cove, Crescent Meadows, Falls, Giant Forest Museum and Moro Rock. There's much more to do but we didnt get enough time to explore more as it suddenly rained our 2nd night in the evening. The forecast predicted a 10% chance of rain. well it rained the whole night and it was wonderful. we were prepared to endure the cold nights. It was hot in the day and cold at night. the weather fluxuates. Remember it's a mountain 6,700 ft elevation so nights will be chilly.

As for wild animals, we did see 2 deer and a bear. The bear walked about 40 yrds from our site but wasn't aggressive at all. Bears up here are scarred of humans and only roam around looking for food so DONT leave food outside or in your car. Use the food lockers.

I can't wait to go back and visit the remaining surroundings of this beautiful forest.

Room Tip: Upper Sites are Nice. These are all Walk ins only (1-150) (69-150 are tent only) Check the Weather Forecast. Never hurts to bring a sweater, sweats, gloves and a beenie in the summer. Better to prevent being cold at night. oh and inside crystal cove it's 50F.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank AllanP456
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed two night the last week of May. I suspect that summer weekends are a bit different from the quiet week days we had – but still, a good experience I am sure. Great location. Snack bar and market open long hours. Snack bar food is pretty darn good for out here. (Yes, everything taste better in camp.) Friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Morgan2010
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had reservations at Bass Lake for two nights as the first leg of our Yosemite trip, but decided a week before that we wanted to stay the first two nights around Sequoia and Kings Canyon instead, so we nixed Bass Lake and decided to try our luck as a walk-up at Lodgepole. I am SO glad we did. We arrived the Wednesday before Memorial Day and had no trouble getting a spot - there were plenty open. They let us drive around and check them out before deciding on a site and we immediately fell in love with Site 66. Some of the sites sit a bit close to each other, but they are all thoughtfully arranged, with a clear designation for your tent, two picnic tables, the firepit near the bear box ,,, One half of our firepit was ringed by some rocks that would have made a nice seat if we hadn't had our camp chairs. Our tent backed to the side of the hill and sat a little behind the neighboring site, so it felt very private. We had two deer walk right down into our camp site and just kind of hang out there for a bit - definitely a lot of chances to get close to nature here (we saw a bear grazing in a meadow while we were out and about, too).

The bathrooms were the cleanest I've ever encountered at a state park and there are ample water spouts and washing-up stations. The rangers were so friendly. They really want their visitors to have a great experience, and it shows! The nearby Lodgepole Market is pretty expensive (no surprise there) but handy in case you left an essential at home or need to stock up on ice. Showers and laundry are located near the market. Showers are $3 for 10 minutes and unlike some campgrounds, the water stays hot and has good pressure. There's a change machine outside so no need to clean out the piggy banks before you come. Great hiking trails abound - both within walking distance and a short drive/ (free) tram-ride away.

I loved Lodgepole and the whole Sequoia area so much I really didn't want to leave, even though our vacation was continuing at Yosemite. I would have been happy to spend all 5 nights of our trip here. We will definitely be back, and soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple