WINNER WONDERLAND

Wuksachi Lodge
San Diego, California
“Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

There aren't too many choices of places to stay during the wintery months in Sequoia National Park. The lodge itself is a nice building; rustic lobby and a warm fire. The rooms are not in this building, but in buildings a short drive away! The check-in was long (there was only one overworked young lady at the front desk at the 4pm check-in time) but pleasant. Our room was fairly spacious, but almost stark. The bed was an eastern king and rather worn. We had everything for a comfortable stay, but nothing plush about this room. I don't have photos to share, but the pics here are accurate. We didn't dislike our room, but weren't overly impressed. That being said, we would probably stay here again.
We walked back to the lodge in the evening for dinner (the only place to go to eat!) and had a pleasant experience in their dining room; the service was quite good. Glad we made reservations when we checked into our room earlier.

2 Thank TrippingtheRoad81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Norton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

At 7,000 feet above sea level, it took a while to get there but there was much to see along the way. The scenery and the massive sequoias are enough to take your breath away, and to be able to stay in a lodge amongst all of it was amazing. Our room was very basic, what you would expect for a lodge. As we walked to our building from the parking lot we came upon 3 deer grazing in the brush. This is a good home-base if you're there for the hiking, etc. If it's a pampering you're looking for, choose someplace else. We had dinner (without reservations) and thought it pricy, though of very good quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaurieH0323
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My hubby and I have been going to the Wuksachi since it opened. Happily it has remained in good condition. It could easily have fallen into disrepair as it is a Delaware North concessionaire-run facility in a national park. However, it's been kept up well. We had a Superior room with a King Bed and two sofa beds - one in an alcove with the TV, dresser unit, fridge and armchair. Turns out the sofa bed in the alcove was subpar and my sister-in-law was severely uncomfortable in it. Last year, the sofa bed in our Deluxe Room was just fine. That sofa bed and the one next to the king in the main bedroom looked to be the same - but we wanted to spread out more, so we got the twin rollaway instead and put it in the alcove. Problem solved.

The fridge was unplugged when we got there, but it made up for it by freezing all our food by the second day. I ended up loving frozen greek yogurt for breakfast. With hot coffee (we brought our own hot pot and Starbucks VIA packets), we had a lovely in-room breakfast. I eat too much at restaurant breakfasts...

The shower was blessedly strong and hot.

Our top-floor room was hot. We turned the thermostat OFF. Click OFF, OFF! And it was too hot at night for us, and we'd toss our covers off. Better than being cold, I guess! It was winter and there was snow outside! The thermostat read 68 degrees(not sure how accurate), and admittedly, the three of us like to have cold air to breathe while snuggled in our warm beds. I had to go to the bathroom one night and cool my feet on the tile. Strange - but a minor gripe for an otherwise fabulous stay!

Service was excellent and the room was tidied nicely every day. It was clean (very important to me) and comfortable. I personally would prefer more usable-at-night to sleep with pillows, but for sitting up, the decorative pillows did the job.

The toilet paper and kleenex are the "recycled" variety, I think, and are relatively harsh for my taste. The body wash and shampoo are in a dispenser in the shower and I find them a bit harsh. I prefer the formulas in Yosemite. Conditioner is provided in little bottles, and it was okay, though a bit sweet smelling to me. I often bring my own toiletries. The "face" soap which we use for washing hands is fine. Plenty of clean towels. Recycling and garbage cans in room are small, but adequate.

I had kippered snacks as a treat and rinsed my can out and threw it in the trash can that is on the main floor of the building. Handy.

The walk to the dining room in the main lodge building is about 5 minutes.

The main lodge building had the snack shop downstairs in the winter where they also rent snowshoes and poles, etc. A bottle of lowfat chocolate milk there was only $0.99. I found out the kippered herring can was fabulous on some bread after a long day of snowshoeing! Thumbs up on that salty snack! :) Many other snacks to be found as well! Something for everyone! :) Trouble: hours were 10 am to 6 PM. I wish they opened earlier - before we took off in the morning, but at least they were open to 6 PM. If i had to have one end of the day, 6 PM would be better, I guess.

We adore the hotel and the park in winter and hope that the rumors that DNC wants to close it during winter are just that - rumors - and that the National Park Service will not let this happen.

Room Tip: Haven't really had a bad room yet. You can pick main floor or go up or down stairs. You are eith...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed this stay, but it is a lodge, and it doesn't have everything you'd expect from a hotel. It is secluded from most things except for the park attractions. The walls are very thin and there were many families staying there, which made it a little bit noisy in the early morning. Nonetheless, you can't beat the location if you're their to appreciate the natural beauty of the park. We went in winter and the sites were breathtaking. The room was comfortable and clean. Spotty cell phone reception, but wifi service was available. DO MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHECK PARK CONDITIONS IF TRAVELING IN THE WINTER. Snow chains are almost always required AND necessary to get up there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank rich_cardona
Clovis, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Room expensive for what you get (even taking into consideration it's a resort location in a Nat'l Park. The "green" and "eco-friendly" #@&%%# is a little over the top. I'm on vacation; I like longer showers, I like clean towels every day. Know I am old-fashioned but I still like value for my dollar. $180 a night for what amounts to a 3 star room is a little much. Yes it was clean. Yes it was quiet. But it was 3 star quality. Restaurant service was not good. Was informed (after complaining) that there were some staffing issues that night. Dinner served cold. Lunch next day served cold. Dinner the last night was quite good. Would I return?..... probably not. Other side of the Park has a 3 star lodge that has 3 star prices and a very nice coffee shop style eatery.

Room Tip: Opt for the superior room. They are end units that are sort of a suite set-up. Being on the end of...
5 Thank steve m
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Typical Delaware North Property that gives "lip service" to "guest service" but the reality is far less. The staff at check-in were bored and trained to give their spiel wthout attention to guest questions. Plan on lugging your own bags UPSTAIRS to your room. The room was spacious and clean but lacked warmth or thoughtfulness to guest needs. There was no table and chairs at which to sit even though there was more than ample space in the room. The breakfast buffet was ordinary and not refreshed, and wound up being quite expensiive for what was offered. The wood burning stove in the lobby area filled the dining room with smoke, but the staff just shrugged as if it was a common occurrence. On the other hand, the Giant Sequoias are awesome and trump the man-made mediocrity of the lodging.

3 Thank BMtnW
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a lovely location but it also was a comedy of hits and misses.
1) I register under myself and add my husband as a guest yet upon check in. He is the only listed and only one spoken to directly! Did I time warp in my climb up this mountain?
2) I was forewarned that there was a disconnect between the rooms and the lodge and I was prepared for this but I was not prepared for icy pathways that have not been cleared causing the trip from our car to the rooms a long and painful one.
3) Room was dirty in corners due to slapdash vacuuming and urine on the toilet and base.
4) Reservations must be made for dinner. Dinner is held in a large and lovely dinning room but service is also hit and miss. Bread at the table but no butter. Large windows to view the stunning view but seemly not double pained as cold was seeping in everywhere. Eat quickly as food gets cold fast. The only heat I could feel and see was the large fireplace but woe to those who are not seated by the fire as when exploring I noticed all the heaters were turned off--In the Winter!
5) Truly gorgeous location -that can not be disputed.
6) Price for food and rooms certainly not worth was is given to you and it is too bad if you want food in your room cause there is no microwave and the small gift center and restaurant are not open very long.
Would I stay here again? Only for the view and at a bargain rate. I have had more for less.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JerushaD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge
Cedar Grove Lodge
Cedar Grove Lodge
#4 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!