“What's with the poor reviews?”
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Wuksachi Lodge
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I always like to stay somewhere nice and close to a trail head prior to our annual backpack trips. For our pre and post 7 day backpack trip lodging this year, my husband and I were fortunate enough to stay in the Wuksachi Lodge superior suites (rooms 223 and 312). Unlike the negative reviews I read prior to booking our stay, I found EVERY single employee to be cheerful, helpful, and extra accommodating to our needs. We picked the large suite because we wanted to have enough room to bring our backpacks in (45 and 65 lbs) to recheck prior to starting the High Sierra Trail. The rooms are VERY large and appointed with beautiful, new furniture suited to a forest setting. The refrigerator and coffee maker made it very convenient to eat dinner in our room and get a quick breakfast for an early start to our backpack. Can't say enough of the comfort, convenience and styling of the rooms. The shower was HOT with plenty of water pressure and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The superior suites are the only rooms with true aircon which was a blessing during the hottest week the Sequoias have experienced in many many years. We ate dinner in the restaurant and I have to say, I was jealous of my husband's duck breast with roasted yukon gold potatoes, broccolini and the most beautiful big arugula leaves I have ever seen. (we were anxious to eat fresh veggies after our dehydrated dinners on the trail). I had the Caesar salad and requested salmon with it. Our waitress asked if the chef could do it--no problem and very reasonably priced...$13.00. Highly recommended for anyone looking for exceptional lodging prior to or after a backpacking trip in the Sequoias. We visited the Lodgepole area down the road and it is packed with tourists and campers. The Wuksachi Village area was far less busy and the expansive grounds provided a sense of peace and quiet that we truly enjoyed. Go for the superior suite and you won't be disappointed in anyway....it has 2 sofa beds plus the king bed to accommodate a family of 6 although the single bath may be a bit of a crush. We would go back in a flash.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior suite with a window onto the forest.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CMR01
There are newer reviews for Wuksachi Lodge

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here 9 years ago and it was superb, so much we booked again this year despite high cost. However, very disappointed in its present condition. Whereas the restaurant previously was excellent, it is now only moderate at best! Menu selection was limited and very expensive for breakfast, dinner and lunch. This is especially a problem, as when staying here there is no real practical alternative to eating in the restaurant. The room decor was tired with broken and ill fitting window fans and when we took our room we found the previous occupants left over takeaway lunch in the fridge!
Disappointed that such superb potential of a memorable stay in a beautiful location, was spoilt by what appeared to be lack of concern to keep standards high. Typical problem arising from not having any competition in the area!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Superb location in the heart of Sequoia. Great as a base for sight-seeing. The central lodge houses the registration and restaurant, and the rooms are in three separate buildings a short walk away but with separate parking, so do not unpack the car until after registration. Rooms and restaurant are only average at best, but expensive. You are paying for the location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank joetidd
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed one night August. The room was clean and decorated as expected from photos. The room as NO a/c. I did not think this would be a problem but, it was. The room was very hot when we got into it. After that shock we settled in. Had dinner in the restaurant. The service was VERY slow. We had to ask for refills and our check. The food was fine and I did not think that the prices where that high.

Our main problem was that a very loud machine noise started up at 1:30 am. It went on for over 18 min. We called the Front Desk and they told me it was the fire suppression equipment and that it should shut off and to call back in 10 to 15 min if it was still on. It was so loud that the wall was vibrating! It did shut off but, restarted 8 more times that I counted until I fell asleep after 2:45. When we checked out the front desk clerks admitted that there are 3 rooms that have this problem and they suggested I report my problem on the comment card that I would receive after my stay. I asked to speak to the GM as that was their only option of a remedy to me. The Assistant GM did significantly discount the room price for me when she came up to the Front Desk to talk to me. However, she claimed that they did not know what was causing the noise and was going to have an engineer check into it. The night staff and the Front Desk clerks both know what we were complaining of and seem to feel that it was a fairly common occurrence with the 3 rooms referenced by our check out person so I was surprised that the Assistant GM claimed to not know what was causing the noise. The location was great. We would stay again, not in summer (no A/C) if we could get a room that was not one of the "3" problem rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I would agree with other reviews that the rooms are quite gloomy and reflect an American obsession with 'ye olde log cabin'. However, if as we were, you want somewhere comfortable to explore the two parks from an incredibly good location, a peaceful setting with helpful staff and a good value restaurant then you cannot go wrong.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hussar6838
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The park is wonderful but unfortunately the lodge is the ONLY place to stay. Site is paradise.

We thought the Lodge was built in the 1960's. To our astonishment, it was built in 1999!! The rooms are very outdated and gloomy. Ugly old US fittings, old style patterned carpets, bedspreads etc. Ventilation is very poor with noisy "3rd world" type fans put in bottom of sash windows and run all the time to keep room cool despite air being cool and fresh outside (V poor design). Room spacious, functions well and bed comfy.

Main lodge quite sinister too -- gloomy and stuffy (POOR DESIGN -- need to be able to use natural ventilation and let some light in through roof). Food & service for dinner and breakfast was very average (US negatives without US positives). There is a BBQ in park if you can find it -- excellent.

The US National Park Service is clearly living in the past. Could do SO MUCH better. Service does not match needs of many of the customers we met.

Room Tip: Some rooms at front have a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve_Brussels
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Enjoyed a very pleasant three night stay here. Lovely setting, with deer browsing in the grounds and fantastic views. Excellent location for visiting anywhere in Sequoia National Park and also convenient for Kings Canyon. We had a very large room which was kept clean throughout our stay. No air conditioning, only a fan, but we managed fine with that. Public areas are attractive with a large lounge area. Full breakfast was included in our room rate and it was excellent, with a huge selection. The menu for dinner was varied enough to suit most tastes, some of it good value. Food was lovely. Service was a bit slow at times as the restaurant was very busy. Bar prices were very high. Overall, though, I would recommend Wuksachi Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer...
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!