“Awe-inspiring experience!”
Review of Kings Canyon

Kings Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: Kings Canyon National Park is named for this large canyon, perfect for hiking.
Santa Cruz, California
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Awe-inspiring experience!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have visited many of our national parks and these two are at the top! I am sorry that they were within 4-5 hours of our home and we hadn't visited sooner. We live in the redwoods, but the sequoias are awesome! Never have seen anything so huge! We were there in the early Spring so many things weren't open yet, the the weather was good, the crowds small, and the hikes fabulous. We stayed in the John Muir Lodge which was clean, quiet, quaint and just what we were looking for. Meals taken at the restaurant on site were great. We will return again and again!

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“One more item for your Bucket List”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are simply awesome. Great views, big trees (I mean, really big trees), and old trees (I mean, really old trees). Check out Hume Lake, or climb Moro Rock; you will have a great time.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank William P
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“One of the Best”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am a very frequent visitor to the Sierra Nevada, and I have run the gamut of backpacking, camping, hotel suites, etc throughout the Sierra. I have also traveled throughout Southeast Asia, Europe (including over a dozen trips to the Swiss Alps), and I can say, without a doubt, that this is one of my favorite natural places. As a caveat, I live somewhat nearby, but it is really something special. If you are a newbie to the Sierra, I'd say fighting for space in Yosemite Valley should be a priority, but if you have the time or ability to make repeat visits, this is absolutely a highlight. Try to visit in Spring when the snow is still on the peaks and the rivers are flowing hard. If you are a backpacker, it is such an amazing playground that one could spend a lifetime exploring. If not, at least drive down to Road's End along with seeing the "big trees" in Sequoia.

I cannot comment on the facilities here because I really don't use them much, instead using the designation of the area as a national park and wilderness as a basis for many adventures. If Yosemite, even in the backcountry, leaves you wanting for solitude, this is your place! I suspect, like most national parks in the west, that they are minimal and mediocre at best (for food, lodging, etc). However, if you are the least bit adventurous and interested in the grandest of natural places, this is a place you cannot miss.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank bubb1
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The trees are ginormous!!!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very beautiful drive from Fresno where I was staying on business. Pull over at the turnouts along the way to get some amazing pics. Many of the roads were closed due to weather but was able to walk the trail around the Grant Tree and the Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park. They are huge. Both must sees. Hope to go back when all the roads are open.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank MattTammyT
Madera, California
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“This has to be one of the Best!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We live near Kings Canyon/Sequoia and go there often. It is just a beautiful as Yosemite Valley, and much less crowded. Camping is a little less expensive, and there are not the touristy things that Yosemite has, but still plenty of hiking trails and falls. It's a good place to let the kids run and enjoy your family.

Visited August 2012