WINNER WONDERLAND

“Granite Masterpiece” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Whitney

Mount Whitney
More attraction details
Owner description: The most climbed peak in the Sierra Nevada, and the highest.
Palmdale, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Granite Masterpiece”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm sure fans of western movies (or the old western TV shows) will recognize the scenery leading up to Mr. Witney. The road is steep and in the summer months (where temps easily exceed 100 degrees) it can cause cars to over-heat. In the spring and fall there is less car traffic but the weather can be chancy: ice flurries in November or biting wind. There are really no facilities after Lone Pine if you take El Portal Road....so make a bathroom stop in the quaint little town unless you don't mind using pit toilets in a few of the undeveloped campsites dotting the route up to Mt. Whitney. Make sure you bring a camera because, as stated, the views are really something to see. The minarets that flank Mt. Whitney make for some great photos.

Visited November 2012

brisbane
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great spot for Sunrise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a great spot to visit.
We went up for sunrise and the colours and view was spectacular. It reminded my of the Dolomites with the grey rock and was beautiful.
Plus you are in a bear zone and we got to see deer. Any wildlife is good.
If you are in the Lone Pine region you MUST drive up to to the base.

Visited September 2012
Sacramento, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Beautiful views, Difficult hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is my first and last backpacking trip. You need a permit for this hike. 4 of us were expert hikers and 5 of us were not. I'm 41 and I'm athletic and this hike was tough. First, I'm grateful that we hiked over 3 days. I can't imagine hiking 22 miles in one day. I had no problems with altitude because I was able to acclimate by hiking the trail in 3 days. I saw many people who were hiking the trail in one day and they did not look good. I wonder if they were able to enjoy the beauty around them.
We camped at Whitney portal for one night then started the hike the next day. The first 3 miles were moderate. The last 3 miles to trail camp was tough, going up and up. Trail camp was stunning. It took me about 7 hours to reach Trail camp. There are no outhouses here or on the trail. The last outhouse was at the start of the trail. Also, my friend had a water pump with a filter and that's what we used to get water.
At 8:30am The next day my hike started with the 97 switchbacks. Ugh! The view at Trail crest was amazing. Many people told me that the view at the summit was just as amazing so that thought kept me hiking. The hike was long. It didn't seem like there was an end in sight. Then I finally reached the summit at 12:40pm. It was beautiful. I lingered way to long at the summit waiting for others that it started to sprinkle rain. Not good. It took us a long time to get back to trail camp for the night. Well, it rained while I was going down the 97 switchbacks. I was wearing my ski parka but I had left my rain cover in my tent. The rain made the trail very slippery. I was happy I made it to the summit, but I was miserably cold. Make sure you prepare for all weather. And don't forget your camelback.
The last day was thankfully sunny. It took me less than 5 hours to hike down to Whitney portal where we had greasy french fries and a beer.
My friend who is 57 and out of shape, was exhausted after the hike but she made it to the top. I recommend this hike for stunning views but this is a once in a lifetime trip for me.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank YL0
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Majestic Mountain for an Epic Hike...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

A buddy and I decided to camp at Whitney Portal for 4 nights before our hike to help acclimatize. That decision helped immensely has altitude ended up not being an issue at all. The Whitney Portal campground is a very beautiful and relaxing space with a creek running thru it...creek is stocked with trout once a week. For those who can't get fully off the grid there is cell service at the entrance. All camp sites include a bear box, fire pit and are really well maintained. The hosts of the camp, Fred and Sher are increidbly helpful and sweet. For some sites you do not need a reservation for and are first come first serve day of.
We started our hike at 12:15am from the Whitney Portal, which was also a smart decision. Made it to the base of the "97 Switchbacks" by 4:30am. Because of our timing we saw the sunrise as we were climbing the Switchbacks which was a nice distraction. We summited by 8:30a and were able to beat most of the crowds. The backside of the peaks, which is fairly narrow trail, got pretty congested on our way down. We ended up back at the Portal Store, chowing down on hamburgers and beer by 3:45p. 15.5 hours, 22 miles...The end of a long but incredibly rewarding day.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Adam L
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Mount Whitney Climb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Climbed Whitney 4 years ago with my friend Pete Dowhan who lives in California. Stopped in Lone Pine we begged the ranger to let us have a day pass as we missed our slot for a 3 day climb the week before, on completion we then headed for Jakes Saloon bar in town "as you do" to celebrate. After spending the night in an Hotel we started our accent at 3am, reaching base camp at 6am, the morning sun rise on the rock face was no more than Magical, I can't begin to explain. A quick wash and refresh our water we started the face accent to the summit, climbing this gold coloured was mind blowing, we reach the summit about 1pm and took in the beauty for an hour, then started to make our way back down, we finally reach the car at the bottom of the portal at 7.30pm "yes guys" we did WHITNEY in one day, then we drove 400miles back Santa Clarita. But advise to train long and hard, this is brutal.

Visited September 2011