“A breath taking drive”

$125.99*
and up
Sightseeing Adventure in the Rocky Mountains
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Trail Ridge Road is an easy drive up and over the mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park. There is no doubt a drive on Trail Ridge Road will take your breath away. Not from fear but from the sheer beauty of the vistas. The scenery is spectacular and there are plenty of opportunities to pull into turnout areas to take photos, see the animals, and just pause to enjoy the view. At the top of the mountain you will find a fascinating visitors center and a gift shop/restuarant to provide you an enjoyable break at over 12,000 feet above sea level. On this years trip we discovered large herds of elk and mountain goats, a few big horn sheep, a stunning moose, and lots of smaller animans that caught the interest of my grandchildren. At the top of Trail Ridge Road you can continue your trip to the western side of the mountains and visit the quaint community of Grand Lake or return back to Estes Park. If you like to explore I would suggest you drive to the top of the mountain via Fall River Road which features a one-way gravel road (going up only) with switchbacks that provide you with spectacular views. Fall River Road ends at the Visitors Center at the top so once you enjoy your visit to top you can easily return to Estes via the paved Trail Ridge Road. Personally, I love driving to the top on Trail Ridge Road late at night, especially on a clear night when the mountains are lit by the moon. I guarantee you will see not only lots of animals but you will experince the intense beauty of the stars as they look down on the range of snow capped mountains. I will pull into a turn out, turn my car off, and experience the beauty of mother nature.

2  Thank Peter T
Write a ReviewReviews (3,157)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"pull over"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have hated this road my entire life and it was significantly confirmed this weekend. Hate hate hate it. I feel like I am going to fall off the mountain and die. Never again.

12  Thank katiesftbl
Reviewed July 23, 2013

One of the things I told my brother-in law that I wanted to do while in Colorado was "see the touristy things". Since we were only there for 4 days, we didn't want to spend our entire trip traveling. We headed up through Estes Park and up Trail Ridge for breathtaking views of the mountains, stopped at the Allevian Fan for a hike, and even stopped by the Stanley. It was a great way to see the mountains in one day! I was thrilled! Lots of photo ops, and we even saw Elk!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wonderful drive through Rocky Mountains. Great views at all heights and with lots of different things to see - not only the mountain views but beaver ponds, wildlife (we say lots of elk, bighorn sheep and marmots), and lakes. Lots of easy to use pull-off points, with good information boards. Plenty of parking. Good restroom facilities.

1  Thank Lovetotravel1954