WINNER WONDERLAND

“Great Scenery” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sky Pond

Sky Pond
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the bottom of Colorado's Petit Grepon.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great Scenery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hike to Sky Pond was beautiful. We left at 7:45am and it was 39 degrees. Almost all the way there, it's an uphill hike. I had a bit of a cold so it was not easy. But it was nice following the water; I love the sound of flowing water! After three miles and and 1 1/2 hours, we stopped at The Loch for a rest. This was a very nice lake where several people were fishing. We kept going - up! - and I almost quit when we got above the treeline and we had to climb non-stop stone steps to the base of a waterfall - which we had to climb. I'm not a proficient climber so the climb up the waterfall was not at all my idea of a good time. If your feet get wet and you're in tennis shoes, you'll have wet feet for the next five miles. Beware!

Once you scramble up the waterfall and get to Lake of Glass, it's like a different world - so peaceful and beautiful! We stopped for pictures and then looked for the trail (hard to find!) to Sky Pond. Once there, I was in awe! The cathedral spires, the glacier above....amazing!

The hike down the waterfall was terrifying....but we made it down safely and the rest of the hike was easy and downhill. We stopped again at The Loch for a rest and to shed an outer layer of clothing (it was then 60 degrees). Our knees were aching by the end - the last few miles were torture! We got back to the trailhead at 3:15 - so we were gone 7.5 hours. We took three bottles of water and a soft drink (and snacks) - but could have used another bottle of water.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank donia1022

Austin, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Totally worth it!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Going here was like getting to be in paradise for a little bit! The day we went was sunny and beautiful. Being from Texas the altitude was sort of getting to me, and the fact that I am not in the greatest shape in the world, BUT I made it to Sky Pond. We started out at the Glacier Gorge Trailhead and did the trip in six and a half hours round trip. That included having our picnic lunch, taking a ton of pictures, and my stopping to rest A LOT. The climb up the side of waterfall did somewhat scare me because I was climbing in tennis shoes (not the best idea) and climbing on wet rocks was scary (to me). When we got to the top what we at first thought was Sky Pond was actually Lake of Glass. You have to walk BEHIND this and past the other rocks to reach Sky Pond. Totally worth it. I felt like I actually EARNED getting to see this. It is something I will always remember and be proud that I did. Make sure to pack water, snacks and food if you want lunch. There are no bathrooms past the trailhead so either go before you start the hike, or find a secluded spot if you have to go. The people we talked to on the trails were super nice. It was a great day!

Visited September 2012
5 Thank exaslonghorn31
Lubbock, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“When you've reached sky pond, its like you're the only person in the world at that moment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

It is so secluded from everything else, it really is like you are the only person in the world. We got past the snow that went up to our waist and up the waterfall. Te marmots were everywhere. They let us get really close to take their pics. Make sure you take alot of water. We ran out on the way back down. If possible go past sky pond. We did not and I regret it. Guess I'll have to go back real soon! A truly exhilarating experience! We luved it!

1 Thank Scotsymrgn
Denver, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

The hike to Sky Pond is 9.8 miles round trip, with about 1600 ft elevation gain from the Glacier gorge trail head. The road to bear lake is under construction, so you will need to take the shuttle from the Beaver Meadow visitor center, or from town. You will reach Alberta Falls after 1 mile. The trail eventually follows a beautiful stream, and you climb a short waterfall towards the end of the hike just before sky pond (no special equipment needed). Takes about 3 hours to get up, and two hours down. This was the best hike I have done in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank fisherdad
Denver
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Majestic Beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2006

A trail hike that is worth the extra effort! The forest service had done an amazing job of creating a superior walking trail for park visitors. However, the last hundred yards you are on your own as the trail turns steep...but it is worth every step. The lake is a crystal clear reflection of the sky above, while granite walls surround you on the left and spires sweeping across to the right - it is awesome! Not for the faint of heart - this trail will require endurance , and possibly a poncho. Be prepared, and be ready for some spetacular views!

7 Thank sp2murphy