“Road sucks”

Old Fall River Road
More attraction details
Owner description: This dramatic and scenic roadway built in 1913 followed an old Indian pathway that climbed over 3,000 feet.
Fox Lake, Wisconsin
“Road sucks”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was younger and had a 23' mini home which wasn't overly large. The sign near the beginning said, "No large vehicles allowed," so I went up the road. About half way up the one way road the air was thin and the motor was spitting and sputtering. I had the camper in low gear with the gas pedal to the floor just chugging and then I hit the cut-backs. I had to back the rear end over the cliffs to make the turn. One cut-back at a time I went. My wife was crying and my kids were crying and hiding under the dinette table. Finally I made to to a flat landing about 1/2 mile from the top. We took a break for dinner, but nobody ate a bite. Looking at the long grade to the peak, I took the air cleaner off for more air to the engine and put it in low gear and waited for the care to clear. I just floored it and hoped for the best. I made it about half way up going about 5 mph and got behind a little sports car I didn't see earlier. I got on his bumper and just laid on the horn for him to get out of the way. I made it to the top and just made it over the top, barely. That was my memory of Old Fall River Road and i never forgot it. No pictures, just nightmares. I may have been scenic but I was to nervous to look. The moral is; read the signs :-)

Visited June 2012

Estes Park, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A scenic drive or a great hike”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

In the summer, when the road is open for traffic, it's a wonderful old one-way road up to the Alpine Visitors Center. When traffic is not allowed, it's a great road to hike, run, bike, or snowshoe!

1 Thank HillHag
Delhi, New York
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“quite a road”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It's amazing to travel this road and think it was a 2-way route back in the day and the only way across the park. There were some spectaular views on the winding road. Not as "nerve-racking" as Trail Ridge Road (see my other review) because only one way and had been "broken-in" by my prior travel on the TRR.

1 Thank doughboysigep
Windsor, Colorado
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Like an old country road through the woods”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Each time I drive Old Fall River Road, it reminds me why they built Trail Ridge Road. Until the last mile or so, there are limited views along OFRR. Much of the road travels through trees and beside rock walls. It is a little claustrophobic for me in places. I do not find the road particularly nerve wracking or scary. If you do not hike, traveling OFRR is the drive in RMNP that most closely resembles a hike in the mountains. If you have limited time in RMNP, driving up OFRR and returning to Estes Park by way of Trail Ridge Road is a good option.

The best time to enjoy OFRR may be after it is closed to vehicles and open to pedestrian travel.

2 Thank fv1989
Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Breathtaking...but nervewracking turns!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This road was an 11 mile dirt road with a 10 mph speed limit (no problem there, we probably went 5 mph) that had continuous switchbacks, sharp turns that winded up the side of the mountain. Since we had an early summer, they opened this road early. My 16 yr old son and myself have a mild fear of heights, so this was VERY ANXIETY PROVOKING and Nervewracking for us. We drove a Ford Explorer XLT that was rented which is a litle bigger vehicle and sometimes I felt like the road was barely big enough for us. We had 4 people in the car and I decided to drive this road ... big mistake on my part! The views were magnificent when I could look, but I was on edge the whole time. The best part was when we saw the Alpine Visitor Center that looked like it was hanging on the edge in the distance towards the top, about 12,000 feet. Not for the faint at heart!

Visited June 2012