“Very Nice Hike” 4 of 5 bubbles

185 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 568 helpful votes
“Very Nice Hike”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

There are 2 spurs of about 3 miles each on fairly level ground and boardwalks to get to the coast, which were easy and peaceful. The flora by and large on these spurs was not all that special. The middle spur, along the beach, is what makes this 9.3 mile walk worth doing. For starters, the driftwood, particularly at Sand Point, is even better than further south down the coast I felt. It consisted of sensational full logs in huge numbers along the beach. In fact, they made the hike challenging in parts just to get by them. We also saw a few seals near Sand Point and a bald eagle partway along the coastal segment.. There are petroglyphs about 2/3rds of the way to Cape Alava. This took about 6 hours to do since the coastal segment went slowly.

herndon, va
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Couple the hike with a stay at the Lost Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

My husband and I made this hike in December... not an ideal month, but we piggybacked this trip onto a Christmas visit w/ his family. Despite being in the middle of Washington's "rainy season," the weather was pretty decent. The boardwalk was still slippery at points (not frozen, just wet). A word of caution - the boardwalk is at a steep angle in a couple of places... just walk on the ground in those spots rather than on the boardwalk. You'll end up on the ground anyway, but it won't be on your feet! ;)
HIKE REVIEW: It was so pretty. Even on a gloomy day. I recommend the full loop to first timers, but now that I've had the "full" experience, I will simply walk the main boardwalk (the northern most of the two that start at the Ozette Ranger Station), have a nice relaxing (non-hiking) time at the beach, and then walk back along the same Cape Alava trail that I took to the Pacific.
LOST RESORT REVIEW: Loved it! Cozy cabins, great scenery, most hilarious host of all time. Rob Snider, the owner of the Lost Resort, is very bright, funny, and sassy! Oh, and a great cook! He suggested we come back in September (we are from VA, so this is not a minor journey for us)... and we plan to! We look forward to revisiting the hike again, but are even more eager to catch up with Rob and eat more of his delicious home cooking, as well as snuggle up in one of the Lost Resort cabins!

4 Thank cdc2f
A TripAdvisor Member
“...but only in the summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2003

I've been on this hike many times. It is a nice hike in the summer, but in the winter you may want to avoid it. The boardwalks that cover most of the inland trail get very slippery when wet, so be careful, an adult in my scout troop slipped and broke his ankle about halfway to the water a few years ago. The hike I've been on most is the 3.3 mile hike and on the boardwalks in the summer you can run, but in the winter it is barely walkable because the water freezes.

p.s. enjoy climbing on the rocks by the beach and watch out for racoons, they are EVERYWHERE!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member